Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12   #1

Boat: Steel, Ketch, 50 feet
Skipper wanted for Ketch 50f > Jan to March 2018 East Africa

I'm looking for a Skipper (f/m) who likes to teach and discover the beauty of the Indian Ocean. No chartering and living costs on board of a 50 feet sailing yacht in exchange for teaching the new crew sailing. For further information and negotiation of a basic salary please contact me by email: Indianocean.ahoy AT gmail DOT com
Ahooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:27   #2

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: Skipper wanted for Ketch 50f > Jan to March 2018 East Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahooi View Post
I'm looking for a Skipper (f/m) who likes to teach and discover the beauty of the Indian Ocean. No chartering and living costs on board of a 50 feet sailing yacht in exchange for teaching the new crew sailing. For further information and negotiation of a basic salary please contact me by email: Indianocean.ahoy AT gmail DOT com
Your statement is very confusing. Can you clarify what you mean by "No chartering or livig costs in exchange for teaching a crew how to sail? And i am asuming being the skipper as well? And what do you mean by base salary?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Windrush II View Post
Your statement is very confusing. Can you clarify what you mean by "No chartering or livig costs in exchange for teaching a crew how to sail? And i am asuming being the skipper as well? And what do you mean by base salary?
Thanks for your feedback. It means I cover all costs.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:10   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. It means I cover all costs.
The basic salary has to be negotiated and depends on the qualification. For experienced skippers who are interested: Indianocean.ahoy AT gmail DOT com
Old 10-10-2017, 11:00   #5

Email and attachments have been sent. Thanks
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Sent PM with question. Plz advise
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 13:47   #7

[QUOTE=Ahooi;2495975]I'm looking for a Skipper (f/m) who likes to teach and discover the beauty of the Indian Ocean. No chartering and living costs on board of a 50 feet sailing yacht in exchange for teaching the new crew sailing.

East Africa is crazy ! The North is still swarming with blood thirsty Pirates and the South is plagued with major Southbound currents in the Madagascar neighbourhood usually slamming into Northbound Lows. That part of the world has everything you want. You want to be a better weatherman as well as a better sailor just to avoid or endure the long lasting brutal weather patterns. That's why there's so many secluded beaches in that part of the world. I'd rather be 1st mate since I've never been in the Indian Ocean. I've only read about it and I'm still a Polliwog waiting for an excuse to become a Shellback.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 14:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

[QUOTE=Rorzech;2496359]
Quote:
I'm looking for a Skipper (f/m) who likes to teach and discover the beauty of the Indian Ocean. No chartering and living costs on board of a 50 feet sailing yacht in exchange for teaching the new crew sailing.

East Africa is crazy ! The North is still swarming with blood thirsty Pirates and the South is plagued with major Southbound currents in the Madagascar neighbourhood usually slamming into Northbound Lows. That part of the world has everything you want. You want to be a better weatherman as well as a better sailor just to avoid or endure the long lasting brutal weather patterns. That's why there's so many secluded beaches in that part of the world. I'd rather be 1st mate since I've never been in the Indian Ocean. I've only read about it and I'm still a Polliwog waiting for an excuse to become a Shellback.
not sure where you get your info from,but dec-march is the NE trade wind monsoon bringing the best weather to East africa,ie the section of the coast from mozambiques northern border with tanzania to kenya's northern border with somalia,lots of small inlets,barrier reef, and islands to explore,the best known are zanzibar and pemba.

south of the equator is cyclone season nov-april,and north of east africa are some pirates,but overall a great area to cruise at that time of year.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 15:21   #9

You're absolutely right ! The time of year makes a difference as night and day. Did he say or did you say,Jan to Mar, never the less , I agree that would be the best time to do some cruising around there.
Old 10-10-2017, 23:05   #10

[QUOTE=atoll;2496384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post

not sure where you get your info from,but dec-march is the NE trade wind monsoon bringing the best weather to East africa,ie the section of the coast from mozambiques northern border with tanzania to kenya's northern border with somalia,lots of small inlets,barrier reef, and islands to explore,the best known are zanzibar and pemba.

south of the equator is cyclone season nov-april,and north of east africa are some pirates,but overall a great area to cruise at that time of year.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:18   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Ahooi;2496666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

Thanks for sharing!
i spent a few seasons cruising kenya and tanzania when avoiding the cyclone season south of the equator in the comores and madagasgar.

a few tips
dar es salaam,tanga and mtwapa creek have reasonable facilities for yachts.
be careful about the overhead power lines if going into kilifi.
carry enough anti-malaria medication to treat all crew if they get a fever.
lift dinghy,or remove engine overnight,as liable to get stolen.
clean drinking water can be hard to find as even tap water can be contaminated,so rain catcher or water maker essential.
it is a good idea to use an askari if going ashore at night or leave someone onboard.
you will probably have to check in and out at every port,which is easy but time consuming.
reefs are not well marked so daylight essential for entry and exiting creeks, islands and harbours.
watch out for fish nets when entering or leaving anchorages.

the imray indian ocean and red sea pilot has a lot of good info about the area.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

[QUOTE=Rorzech;2496359]
Quote:
I'm looking for a Skipper (f/m) who likes to teach and discover the beauty of the Indian Ocean. No chartering and living costs on board of a 50 feet sailing yacht in exchange for teaching the new crew sailing.

You should have started the paragraph with that so we all knew not to bother reading it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:14   #13

"some pirates"? Ha Ha that's one too many pirates for me. I prefer to avoid NE Africa thank you . Malaria ? that's not much fun either.Thank goodness there is medication for that. There's lots of destinations in the Indian Ocean that are fantastic too.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:03   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
"some pirates"? Ha Ha that's one too many pirates for me. I prefer to avoid NE Africa thank you . Malaria ? that's not much fun either.Thank goodness there is medication for that. There's lots of destinations in the Indian Ocean that are fantastic too.
piracy is not really an issue in the area,apart from nearby lamu which is right on the border with somalia.

reports of thefts at sea from yachts a few years back between the seychelles and madagastgar were done by an italian/seychellouise fisherman and his east african crew posing as somali's ,i knew the guy ,typical mercenary,drug smuggler type......his father is a government minister in the seychells.

petty theft if you leave stuff lying about is common .
i can't say i have ever heard of violent crime at sea in the area,nor on the land towards the sailing community.

untreated falsiparum malaria is probably the biggest danger as it can quickly,within 48 hrs lead to septaceamia and death,if off the beaten path and un treated,though clinic's if you can find one are well versed in treating the disease.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:38   #15

[QUOTE=atoll;2496687]
Quote:

i spent a few seasons cruising kenya and tanzania when avoiding the cyclone season south of the equator in the comores and madagasgar.

a few tips
dar es salaam,tanga and mtwapa creek have reasonable facilities for yachts.
be careful about the overhead power lines if going into kilifi.
carry enough anti-malaria medication to treat all crew if they get a fever.
lift dinghy,or remove engine overnight,as liable to get stolen.
clean drinking water can be hard to find as even tap water can be contaminated,so rain catcher or water maker essential.
it is a good idea to use an askari if going ashore at night or leave someone onboard.
you will probably have to check in and out at every port,which is easy but time consuming.
reefs are not well marked so daylight essential for entry and exiting creeks, islands and harbours.
watch out for fish nets when entering or leaving anchorages.

the imray indian ocean and red sea pilot has a lot of good info about the area.
I've got the imray East Africa Pilot for the area. Do you know the book? Does it make sense to buy imray indian ocean if East Africa is the focus?

Tags
wanted, skipper, arc, ketch, Africa