Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 05:16   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Considering buying a 2001 Hunter 41

Hunter is the Hyundai of sail boats.
Nothing at all wrong with that, a Hyundai will get you to work just as well as a Rolls Royce will, but it is a Hyundai. As long as you are aware of that, you'll most likely be fine.
I came very close to buying an 03 356 myself, but found too many structural issues during survey, boat was beautifully maintained and equipped and I could tell she had not been neglected or abused.
I ended up spending the same money on a much older but I believe better constructed boat.
It all depends on what you have to pay for it really.

I would strongly advise you to go onto the Hunter owners group and ask there. They told me what the issues to look for on a 356 were, and you know what? I'd have likely missed those if they had not told me exactly what to look for.
They would very likely be a good resource for a Surveyor too. I told both Surveyors that I hired that their job was to talk me out of buying the boat, that if I didn't buy, they did their job, both were surprised by that comment, but both took it seriously.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 05:30   #17
Marine Service Provider

That's good advice from a64 pilot--thanks for clarifying my concerns. Just remember that anyone buying a boat of that size should know a lot long before a surveyor is hired for the $1000 it will cost. Major deal killers can usually be spotted by an astute buyer within 30 minutes...if you are not that qualified, then I would consider not buying or be preapred to spend more for experts to do it all for you--but with a Hunter--caveat emptor!
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 12:03   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

such crap "advise" suggesting those with the boat in question are some type of fool

good job jumping on a thread just to do some boat bashing and call it "help" since the only reason you would have even read the thread to was to get on your band wagon

BTW - don't stop at the boat, go ahead and tell us Hunter owners how ugly our wife's etc are
Old 17-06-2014, 12:43   #19
Marine Service Provider

Hmmm....interesting comment. I have no idea about commenter's marital status or gender for that matter and it is really of little concern. As for a "band wagon" I have no idea what Sailor Boy means but the Hunters-every one I have seen-are good boats for their generally lower price for protected and inland waters where comfort and interior space is more important that seaworthiness or durability. I crossed from Miami to Bimini in a 45 and took her to Georgetown but she was light and flat bottomed and pounded like crazy. I'm happy to sail them on the Chesapeake in the summer when air is usually light and it is calm. (I have no idea if Sailor Boys wife is "see-worthy" or not but she probably has a lot of durability.)
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 13:18   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My biggest comment was to mirror yours essentially, that is to get on the Hunter Owners website and ask them.
There is a Hunter in the power boat world as well of course, they are Bayliners, nothing at ll wrong with a Bayliner, they serve a very useful purpose, they have gotten many, many people out on the water enjoying boating that may not have gotten there if it weren't for Bayliner.
But to pretend they are just as good a boat as a Sea Ray for example is just foolish.

You were spring loaded to be defensive right from the beginning, jumped right into my post about the popcorn. You know anytime someone post I wannna buy a Hunter what do you guy's think, what's going to happen. So do I, hence my post with the popcorn.
To my great surprise, there has been no Hunter bashing, no your keels going to fall off in three ft waves, your water tank is going to break through the bottom of the boat etc.
Paul is right, and you know it, maybe don't like it, but you know he's right.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, hunter