Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 13:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Why isn't it possible to buy from the market a Yuloh / Sculling Oar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The only sailors I've heard that employed a sculling oar were the Pardeys on their engineless 27-foot wooden sailboat.

Boat Alexandra?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 14:05   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

There’s a 30-foot sailboat here in our marina that uses a yuloh. At my last marina home another fellow I knew was seriously looking at building one (I don’t know if he ever did).

Certainly they aren’t very common, but they are around.

I would love to build one for our boat, but I’m not talented enough, and I have my doubts about the viability of one on my 37’, 15 ton boat.
Old 17-09-2018, 19:12   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Now my boat is a lot less, at 4 tons or so, but I was somewhat surprised that once the boat gets moving, the inertia works really well. My suspicion is that the 15 tons of Rafiki would take a while to get moving but I bet you could get it up to a walking speed. I have friend with a Rafiki 37 and he was very intrigued by my oars, but his freeboard just doesn't make it workable. I suspect that would make it tough for the yuloh too, but it might be worth a look. I am definitely not able to give up my engine in my area, but I must say, having my oars available has been kinda fun. A couple of times, sailing back in to my slip I just didn't want to fire up the engine and I didn't have QUITE enough inertia to get me to the slip and it only takes me 30 seconds (I timed it) to pull out and place both locks and then slide the oars in. And sometimes all you need is to kick the stern around a bit to get her pointed right, or if you are coming in too fast holding both oars and dragging can do the trick (though, again, I am only slowing down 4 tons.) Once last summer I was leaving an anchorage before dawn and I didn't want to wake the neighbors or stink up the neighborhood, so I employed the oars to meander out of the anchorage in the still air. It was really nice! Once clear of the anchorage I let the sails take over with whatever breath there was for a while.. then, I fired up the engine and motored for 3 hours before the wind finally came up! Still, be it yuloh or oars, you get more options which can be handy, if you have the space to stow them well and a low enough freeboard.
Now, against a breeze or a current? No I sure wouldn't bet on that. Although I did try it once in an anchorage that was in the wind shadow of a pretty good breeze. Even the gusts that swirled around the cliffs challenged what little horsepower I could employ, but I did manage to get it out of the anchorage clear of other boats to where I could easily raise the sails and take off.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 06:05   #19

Very true Don. In fact, we’ve successfully sculled our way around anchorages and marinas using the rudder. As long as there is no countering force (wind or current), it’s not hard to get my 15 tons moving fairly well.

Maybe I should get serious about this project. I think I could build a bracket set off my boomkin. I have no idea how to build the oar — it would have to be quite large. And I’m not sure where I’d store it … but, hmmmmm.
Old 18-09-2018, 06:34   #20

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Schwarzennegger

Mike,
I'll be looking forward to your photo spread in Bodybuilders Magazine! Perhaps you'll become Canada's answer to the aging Schwarzenegger sculling your Rafiki in the fiords of Newfoundland. Sends some photos. Here's a couple admirers. Best, Rognvald
https://youtu.be/089FXiadgXY
Old 18-09-2018, 06:47   #21

Oh I don't know, when you see those videos of folks sculling sampans around in southeast Asian ports... they don't look too burly
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-09-2018, 07:53   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Oh I don't know, when you see those videos of folks sculling sampans around in southeast Asian ports... they don't look too burly

It's your choice:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampan.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	177581  
Attached Images

Old 18-09-2018, 19:25   #23

Well I was thinking of something more like:
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 20-09-2018, 22:29   #24

Hello all! Sorry for late reply, been a busy week.

Interesting discussion this, the opinions seems quite divided.

I agree the yuloh would not be a solution for a high displacement sailboat that wants to make way against a 4 knot current. However, In such circumstances, I see the yuloh more as an complement than a replacement to the engine. There will always exist situations where it could be handy. As a spare rudder perhaps?

However, for the smaller boats or more light deplaced, especially the ones utilizing a outboarder for auxiliary power, I believe the yuloh would be a great substitution. It is fail-safe, low cost, zero maintenance. Its possible to navigate closer to shore without worrying as much of hitting ground. Its not as dangerous to use in MOB/Swim situations.

And its fun! I like "to move it" and sailing engineless makes one extra proud of being a sailor.
Voiliers_Libres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 22:35   #25

Quote:
Welcome aboard Voiliers Libres!
Yeah the cost thing, even a regular aluminum whitewater 11 or 12' oar will be a $100, and as you may know, the shaft of a yuloh very long and often bent, so it makes sense that it would need to be custom made to each boat, given that freeboard is the primary limiting factor. I could see a carpenter specializing in yulohs perhaps. I'd sure love to get a quote from a good one! Stowage of the yuloh is also an issue. I am lucky with my boat. I have 11 foot oars and they stow inside well because I happen to have the hatch under the cockpit open to the salon and the oars can be stowed there when not on deck (literally and figuratively.) A large yuloh with a bent shaft would be cumbersome at best on many modern boats unless it could be broken down. These threads may be of interest too:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ar-145638.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-158700.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ne-184799.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-121734.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-115725.html
Thank you Don for the thoughts, it sure is an issue storing and selling a yuloh if it would be constructed without the option of breaking it down. Perhaps its possible? Being on my last year in Innovation engineering Uni, if my project group permits, I will look into this.

What kind of freeboard would be optimal for the yuloh do you think? Thanks for all the links! I will get right to it.
Old 20-09-2018, 22:45   #26

Quote:
I have friend with a Rafiki 37 and he was very intrigued by my oars, but his freeboard just doesn't make it workable. I suspect that would make it tough for the yuloh too, but it might be worth a look.
Thanks Don, OK. Is it because the freeboard is too high? What if one builds a yuloh that works with a greater angle in relation to the surface of the sea?
Doing that, the oar don't need to be just as long and the freeboard problem becomes less of an issue. What do you think?

Quote:
I am definitely not able to give up my engine in my area, but I must say, having my oars available has been kinda fun. A couple of times, sailing back in to my slip I just didn't want to fire up the engine and I didn't have QUITE enough inertia to get me to the slip and it only takes me 30 seconds (I timed it) to pull out and place both locks and then slide the oars in. And sometimes all you need is to kick the stern around a bit to get her pointed right, or if you are coming in too fast holding both oars and dragging can do the trick (though, again, I am only slowing down 4 tons.) Once last summer I was leaving an anchorage before dawn and I didn't want to wake the neighbors or stink up the neighborhood, so I employed the oars to meander out of the anchorage in the still air. It was really nice! Once clear of the anchorage I let the sails take over with whatever breath there was for a while.. then, I fired up the engine and motored for 3 hours before the wind finally came up! Still, be it yuloh or oars, you get more options which can be handy, if you have the space to stow them well and a low enough freeboard.
Yes I think so too! Boating should be fun! , and that's also really a plus, being able to not disturb your neighbors at nightfall!
Old 20-09-2018, 23:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Having made one of my own, I can say that it probably wouldn't be possible to sell them at that price point and stay in business, unless you were selling hundreds.
Also they are big and awkward to ship, and would take up a lot of room in a marine store.
Your best bet if you don't want to build one yourself is to find an old-tyme consignment shop that's got old lifeboat and whaler oars kicking around. We have one close by in Mystic, Connecticut.

Or, you could see this as a business opportunity, begin making them yourself, and make a fortune. I would gladly buy the first one for $150 USD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
How about a new high-tech take on a sculling oar: two-piece aluminum or composite shaft, plastic or composite blade, stainless sculling pivot mechanism (whatever the olde-tyme nautical name for that is) ?
Thank you Benz and Lake-Effect for your input on the problem. The longness of the oar is indeed a problem in the eventual process of commercializing it, saying that I now have to be honest and clear of my intentions with my question:

We are three Innovation Engineering students at the University of Halmstad, and we have the idea as a thesis to invent a cheaper and manufacturable modern take on the yuloh. The result of the work will consist of a prototype and a business plan.

We think the project is interesting, perhaps it's possible to create something that has the potential to help out sailors sail more and with greater security, as a complement to their engine. Our vision is to enable sailors to sail more with less and with greater independence and satisfaction.

I have myself a background in the cruising community in Sweden, having owned seaworthy Hurley 22 and Storfidra 25. Inspiration comes a lot from
Sven Yrvind.

We are considering to do this as our thesis. What do you fine sailors think about this idea? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Yours Sincerely
VL
Old 22-09-2018, 07:10   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiliers_Libres View Post
We are three Innovation Engineering students at the University of Halmstad, and we have the idea as a thesis to invent a cheaper and manufacturable modern take on the yuloh. The result of the work will consist of a prototype and a business plan.

We think the project is interesting, perhaps it's possible to create something that has the potential to help out sailors sail more and with greater security, as a complement to their engine. Our vision is to enable sailors to sail more with less and with greater independence and satisfaction.

We are considering to do this as our thesis. What do you fine sailors think about this idea? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I think it's an excellent idea.

Your post inspired me to do some reading about yulohs, and from that I conclude that a yuloh could be viable on sailboats up to maybe 25 ft, depending on vessel weight. It could be very practical on small trailerable sailboats like ours (17 to 22 ft), if you can address issues like storage.

You should consider sharing your ideas with the readership of Small Craft Advisor, because that publication's focus is smaller boats, and they are very receptive to ideas for alternative propulsion.

Speaking personally, I'd be very interested in a modernized affordable yuloh, if it was simple to store and deploy.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 07:21   #29

Quote:
...We are considering to do this as our thesis. What do you fine sailors think about this idea? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sounds great. Can I put in a plug for making your design scalable to my boat: 37’, 15 tons .
Old 22-09-2018, 11:32   #30

Quote:
Thanks Don, OK. Is it because the freeboard is too high? What if one builds a yuloh that works with a greater angle in relation to the surface of the sea?
Doing that, the oar don't need to be just as long and the freeboard problem becomes less of an issue. What do you think?

Yes I think so too! Boating should be fun! , and that's also really a plus, being able to not disturb your neighbors at nightfall!
The angle of the blade in the water seems critical to me in terms of the most efficient thrust, but being engineers, you will know better than I do!
I have not tried a Yuloh, only my oars, so I am going by instinct here. With a lot of freeboard I suspect the yuloh will be too cumbersome, and long. The only equivalent experience I have is with sweep boats on the middle fork of the Salmon river in Idaho, and in that case the sweeps are primarily ruddering and pivoting the boat. But those things are monsters, it is easy for a sweep to throw you right off the boat if you aren’t paying attention. If you look at that video of the yuloh employed on the Vietnamese river boat, it appears two people are on it giving it the horsepower needed to move it. There are quite a few videos of yulohs in action on pretty heavy craft. The advantage yulohs have over oars is that the thrust is more continuous. Another is that you have thrust even while rafted up with other boats as is the case in southeast Asian rivers/harbors. I’d actually like to add a yuloh to my repertoire, show us what you come up with!!