Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2018, 08:00   #1

Lowrance HDS-5 and spx-5 autopilot connection

Hello.

Bought a boat and it has HDS-5 Lowrance plotter and Raymarine SPX-5 autopilot. They both have Nmea 183 and i connected the wires but SPX-5 dont recieve data. I dont know how to solve this problem, can someone help?

Regards

Jari from Finland
larza7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 19:42   #2

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Lowrance HDS-5 and spx-5 autopilot connection

The spx will only receive nmea data (waypoint, speed, wind). It will put out only via Seatalk. There is no easy way to get the Seatalk heading data from the autopilot to display on the HDS. If you need it for radar then justbhetbabfastbjeading sensor. Otherwise, don't worry.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 20:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
The spx will only receive nmea data (waypoint, speed, wind). It will put out only via Seatalk. There is no easy way to get the Seatalk heading data from the autopilot to display on the HDS. If you need it for radar then justbhetbabfastbjeading sensor. Otherwise, don't worry.
The main use for my boat is trolling. I want to make a route with plotter that spx5 can follow. Is that possible?
Old 17-09-2018, 00:27   #4

conect the wires right and it should work. you may need to turn on the nmea output in the plotter. it may be off by default.

the pilot should have a nav mode. and will go to the waypoints.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 06:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
conect the wires right and it should work. you may need to turn on the nmea output in the plotter. it may be off by default.

the pilot should have a nav mode. and will go to the waypoints.
Done all that, still dont work : (
Old 18-09-2018, 00:22   #6

Boat: Maloe 106, 10.6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by larza7777 View Post
Hello.

Bought a boat and it has HDS-5 Lowrance plotter and Raymarine SPX-5 autopilot. They both have Nmea 183 and i connected the wires but SPX-5 dont recieve data. I dont know how to solve this problem, can someone help?

Regards

Jari from Finland

Hi Jari,
I´m pretty sure, the HDS has a NMEA2000 port, check your installation-manual for this. If it is, then you can build a small N2k bus and both devices should work together.In the net you will find enough information about NMEA2000-Bus.

Ray`s Seatalk-STng is electrical the same and in fact compatible with N2K.
To connect the SPX-5 as a device to the N2k-bus, use an N2k-cable with a male-plug on one side and an open-wires end on the other.
Connect the colored wires 1:1 to the STng-terminals of the SPX-5.
Only the12V-Wires are critical, thats why dont`t swap the red / black wires, that will give you trouble !!!
Preferably connect the 12V bus-power to the same as the two devices, cause it must be powerd up before you switch the devices on.
If you have questions/problems with the Bus-Design better ask me again before you connect the devices.

May be you still need to enable the N2K-Port in the HDS-5, I'm not sure about that, but usually not.The HDS should now be able to send routes or waypoints to the SPX and you now can also receive the combined fluxgate/gyro-course datas from the SPX-5.
For better acuracy of the SPX´s course-datas execute the autopilots compass- compensation- and equalising-routine from time to time.

Depending on the type of your Raymarine autopilot control panel, you still have to confirm the current track so that the pilot will follow it.
Imho that should be all.

The investition in the N2k-bus gives you a future-bonus to your navigation equipment.
If a log is established at the HDS the SPX-5 can also receive and use these datas to increse the steering-performance of the autopilot.
Furthermore you can expand/ use the N2k-bus with additinal components, f.ex. AIS,VHF,wind etc.
I think the N2k-Bus is the better solution for your problem.

hope it helps you,

Sailors greetings from the Island of Ruegen,

Claus
peanpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 02:01   #7

Boat: Maloe 106, 10.6m

Hi Jari,
a Lowrance NMEA2000-pdf in attachement
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NMEA2000NetworksGeneralInfo_0154-173_112006.pdf (536.6 KB, 68 views)
peanpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 22:12   #8

Please describe what wires you connected. If you connect the nmea0183 output of the plotter, to the nmea input of the spx5, you should be ok. red/yellow wires in pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180719_152848.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	177777  
diesel45mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 15:41   #9

the navico stuff gernally has the 183 output turned off by default. and needs to be turned on in the menu. I mentioned this above. if it's wired right, my guess would be on that.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot