Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2018, 21:14   #16

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Issues with Coppercoat on cast iron keel - need some advice

Thanks again for all the replies.

I guess the consensus is that there should be no rust and therefore they have done a poor job. Since we cannot get back to the yard I think the only course of action is to ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of getting this fixed elsewhere.

As for what to actually do. I will keep an eye on it and monitor if it gets worse or not. If it doesnít get worse, then it means it is isolated to those small areas and they can be repaired. If it does get worse it means that generally the whole keel will probably need to be redone?

benzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 21:31   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

It might not be the yards fault. I bet they did not have the equipment to test the coating on your cast keel? In the gas pipeline industry we have a process called Jeeping where we have an electrified brush or coil and run it over the metal pipe after it has been coated. When the defect is found it causes a short back to the control box and beeps. You would be surprised how often there is a pinhole that is not visible to the naked eye. I am sure you could do the same on your keel.
Cheers

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 00:46   #18

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^^ thats a pretty neat bit of technology. Simple and effective. How big are the pinholes and how do you fix them?
Old 17-09-2018, 01:29   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

For pin hole size areas you usually feather out an area about 50mm diameter back to bare steel then apply the same coating. Protol paints supply their own repair cartridges and gun so itís real easy to do repairs, other paints you have to mix a small amount of paint. Some of the pinholes are so fine all you can see is an arc from the brush to the steel when you are jeeping.
Coating failure is is an issue and I would like to see how they did the keel? They mention the keel was blasted then filled. Unless they did a perfect flush fill then waited until the filler was tacky and rolled on the epoxy I think they might have missed the window on coating the blasted steel. I imagine they filled the keel, sanded the filler the next day and then did the coating.
Cheers

Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel