Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 06:04   #1

Boat: Catalina 34
Catalina 34 Marine Electronics

Just purchased a 1986 Catalina 34. Wanted a great project boat and this one fit the bill. My question is with so many choices for marine electronics out there, what would you suggest as the best system.

I am in SW Florida and will mainly do coastal cruising. I will bounce down to the keys and across to the Bahamas in the future.

Obviously cost is a factor in any decision so under 3000.

Thank you in advance.

Old Salts take it easy on me, this is my life long dream finally achieved. now I will go broke pouring money into it like all good sailors.
wingate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:23   #2

Re: Catalina 34 Marine Electronics

I can give some advice but some more info would be helpful.

With your 3000 budget what are you trying to achieve? Navigation, depth, wind instrument and a single screen?

What transducer if any is already in the hull?

Do you want touch screen?

Are you wanting a screen only in the cockpit or also the nav station?

Do you ever expect to add an autopilot and if so do you want it networked into the system?
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:32   #3

Boat: Catalina 34

Thank you for your reply. I would like an all in one unit at the helm, Depth, Wind, Nav, touch screen would be nice, single screen at the helm is fine. might add auto pilot in the future.
wingate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:56   #4

There's alot of options but a B&G Vulcan 9 with the nmea transducer, triton wind sensor would be around 2k priced out from West Marine. Then add the charting chip of your choice.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate9 View Post
Old Salts take it easy on me, this is my life long dream finally achieved. now I will go broke pouring money into it like all good sailors.
Congratulations on the boat! A boat is just a hole in the water that you throw money in.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:19   #6

Boat: Carver 356

If you haven't already, please log into the C34 owners forum. Those guys know their boats and any questions you have, they will have an answer.

C34.org
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:47   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

In my experience, touch screens rarely work well when your fingers are wet or you're wearing gloves. For that reason I installed a non-touchscreen Garmin chartplotter last year when I had to replace all my electronics due to a lightning strike. Not only will it work better for my purposes, but it's cheaper.

Speaking of lightning strikes, SW Florida is one of the lightning capitals of the world - my boat was in Ft Myers when it got struck. Make sure that your boat is as lightning-protected as possible, though nothing will protect you fully (other than a good insurance policy). Or, you could just dock it near a catamaran ;-)

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:43   #8

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

Wingate -
I went through the same process on my Gulfstar 41 a number of years ago.
I wanted to be able to install it and troubleshoot it myself. I also wanted excellent factory support both online and over the phone if I had any problems. I installed true wireless wind, compass, boat speed, gps and hydraulic autopilot connected directly to the quadrant. All of the instruments connect to one CPU. At the time the company was called COMNAV. it is now part of the Garmin Family. The best part of the system is the wireless wind wand. It has a lithium battery and a tiny solar panel that is part of the wind wand. That means that there are no wires in my mast. Total cost delivered was about $6,000, including 4 - 6" square displays. It was all bought a piece at a time, as I could afford it. Start with wind, boat speed, compass, 2 displays and CPU from Hodges marine for $1,200.00. HAVE FUN !!!
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:06   #9

I used to cruise a C34 extensively. Some thoughts.

N2K traducer (speed, depth, temp). One modern plotter. Have you invested already in nice canvas dodger and bimini? If no, stay away from a touch screen.

Autopilot is a must. Your budget will allow a wheel pilot. C34 will do fine with a wheel pilot, but ideal would be below deck.

Big plotter or small? Something large at the helm is expensive and a waste of money. If you really want a big plotter, put it on a bracket that folds out from the companionway - visible from the helm - more useful for 90% of your cruising miles when you aren't behind the wheel - stores inside when you lock up. A small helm plotter and a tablet (all the modern stuff is networked) is your best bang for the buck.

Personal preference for your boat and budget:

Mid size Garmin plotter with buttons, mounted at companionway.
N2k triducer
Wheel autopilot
Skip a wind instrument and spend your extra on radar
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:14   #10

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

West Marine, 2 -3x's a year will have a Garman or Raymarine package in the 2500-3500 area. Shop for a sale and you can save 25 to 30 percent. Enjoy
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:57   #11

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

Whatever you decide, make sure you have AIS, preferably one that also transmits. Don't leave home without it. Cheers, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 14:39   #12

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I love my new Simrad 9” display.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 18:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I love my new Simrad 9” display.
Yep. The new Simrad/B&G stuff is really excellent for the money.
Old 11-01-2018, 18:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Tough question to answer!

I am basing my build around the auto pilot (so I choose Garmin because I like their smart pump)

I REALLY REALLY REALLY like B&Gs units for all the info they have. I’ve done a lot of small boat racing so their race apps and stuff really excite me since normally I’ve got a boat and sails. No fancy gadgets. But I don’t like that you can’t remotely access the autohelm with an iPad!

Raymarine is good and easy to use. Can’t really go wrong with any of these.

Other reasons I like Garmin: comes with blue seas mobile app, intuitive display, data pods are clear to read.

Also a big shout out to Vesper Marine AIS with antenna splitter. It networks your boat and displays AIS over good mobile chart apps.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 19:10   #15

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Wingate9 - I just had the Garmin wind, depth, speed, etc package (wired) installed in my boat. Do you need the wind, not really, but what the heck. Water temp of this package might be nice for you if you cross the gulf stream. Cost of the package was $1400. Took the yard a number of weeks to get it to work with Garmin's assist as a malfunctioning NMEA 2000 "black box" was included. I have a 5" garmin chartplotter at the helm, cost $350 on sale. Plan on adding AIS this Spring after getting caught in the fog in Long Island Sound...trying to listen for the hi speed ferries in and out of Block Is. That sold me on AIS. Hand held & bulkhead mounted VHF. Electronics seem to only be limited by folks budget versus brand of boat. Enjoy the shopping.
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, electronics, marine