Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
Pacific Northwest, cheap or moderate moorage?

Hows it going guys, I've only posted a couple times here, but I've been making steady progress into getting a boat around the Seattle area ( in Chicago taking boat maintenance/sailing lessons currently). Does anyone know of some good live aboard locations near by? I was looking at Seattle proper but I can't find anything that isn't in the 500 a month range with very limited inclusions of utilities. The boat I am looking at is a Hans Christian 38T ( talking to a broker out there about it already), I really don't want to downgrade to a 31 Cat or 32 Hunter if I can help it, but slip fees might call for something smaller. I've had a hard time sorting through all the marinas nearby, is there a broker I can reach out to, to locate the best deal in the area, or do you guys know of any rather cheap moorage for liveaboards in the area ? I want to be able to sail to Seattle in a couple hours, so I can get an slip for the evening and go out on the town, then in the morning shove off back to my home port. Finally one last thing that I was considering, I also love camping and nature, and I am trying to find a sweet spot where I have the option of sailing to the city or in a few hours ( talking 5-8 ish) be out in the nature .
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:14   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Pacific Northwest, cheap or moderate moorage?

Try eagle Harbor marina $412-38' slip
Or
Bremerton/port orchard marinas

In both cases it would be easier to hop the ferry and ride into Seattle. Also no risk of BUI if alcohol is part of your carousing.

Everywhere within 12hr sailing either has some amount of housing along the shore or is a park of some sort.

Living on the Peninsula side serious camping and hiking are 1-2hr drives away.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:17   #3

I don't know of much moorage to be in Seattle in a couple of hours except a couple in Seattle per se. Shilshole marina in Ballard, or there are a couple small marinas at the Duwamish river area near West Seattle. There is a little moorage at downtown Seattle for your visit, but a couple places. Most marinas especially near Seattle are full up and have long waiting lists. However, Shilshole allows subletting by the current leasees for up to about half the year. I lived aboard out there for 3 years and never officially had a slip. You'll need a bike to get downtown though, as bus service is terrible from out there. The newer marina out near Magnolia I don't have info on. I'm not sure what you are looking for downtown...?
The overall length of a HC38 is a lot longer than 38' ( I used to own one) and you will likely be looking for at least a 45 ft slip. PM me for any details on the boat if you have questions.
If you get away from Seattle, finding a live aboard slip may be easier. Across the sound is more likely as mentioned above. But a 6 hour trip to Seattle, and 6 hours back will require you to have an overnight slip at Seattle maybe, which can be expensive. I guess you could just anchor was done in the city over hear ALki.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:23   #4

A nice Passport 40 etc would have the great interior of a HC38 without the extra length or bowsprit and pushpit and so much teak to maintain. In Seattle maintaining teak with all the rain in the winter is near impossible. The rain will beat thru 3 layers of varnish in spots in one winter.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:03   #5

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26

Yeah, Teak is going to be a challenge but I plan to do an oil with no varnish, and yes even then I know you have to oil it a lot, the price you pay for beauty. I fell in love with the Hans 33 but those boats seem to be a high ticket item, probably due to the small size and well layed out floorplan. I have yet to find a line of boats that I love the look/utility of as much as the Hans, if anyone can suggest one I'm open minded, but at this point I think it will be a fix me up Hans or Dirt cheap hunter. Thanks for some of the suggested Marinas, I will look into them. As far as why I want access to downtown Seattle, well, the food is great, I like to do west coast swing, and big cities really help out when your trying to meet someone special, at least around Chicago, people rarely leave the city limits to visit people in the burbs/sticks. A 12 hour cruise will probably land me in the San Juans islands right? How far up the coast would you have to go to be a solid 8 (assuming fair weather)from them? I also know about the hiking 1 our two hours away by car, which I plan to take advantage of fully but I would like to cruise to some nice locations as well, or at least have them as an option. I never considered the Ferry Option, I would assume you run into the same issue you do with Metra trains out here, that they stop running at like midnight ?
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:48   #6

Yes the Ferries stop sometime in that timeframe. Here's a pic of my Hans on the water. They are pretty cool. I always thought they looked a bit stubby in the bow though, but beautiful interiors for sure and solid. Oiled teak grows black mold up here fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hans.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	137343  

Old 02-12-2016, 10:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind459 View Post
1. A 12 hour cruise will probably land me in the San Juans islands right? How far up the coast would you have to go to be a solid 8 (assuming fair weather)from them? I also know about the hiking 1 our two hours away by car, which I plan to take advantage of fully but I would like to cruise to some nice locations as well, or at least have them as an option.

2. I never considered the Ferry Option, I would assume you run into the same issue you do with Metra trains out here, that they stop running at like midnight ?
1. Have you consulted a chart?

2. Have you used the internet to look at the ferry schedules?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Pacific Northwest, cheap or moderate moorage?

San Juan's are about 2 days away, 1 to PT Townsend and 1 across the straits.

I once did MacKay Bay to Shilshole in 14hr but that was a lot of motoring and tides were timed just right.

MacKay is at the very south end of the islands and nothing is there except a protected anchorage. Friday harbor is another 3hr or so motoring into the islands.

Shilshole is the entrance to LkWashington. Seattle proper is another 90m south.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:40   #9

Shilshole is the Port of Seattle marina along with Fisherman's Terminal which is just above the locks. I have kept boats in Lake Washington, Lake Union and a small private marina just above the locks. In Lake Union you are in the heart of the city and there are many marinas, but for transient slips it would be better to go to Bell Harbor on the waterfront at the north end of downtown near Pike Place Market.
For lower liveaboard prices definitely look at Bremerton. If you go north or south of Seattle there may be long lists for liveaboard spots.

I have had the experience of motoring from Port Townsend to Everett against a current and taking 12 hours because your speed is cut in half. Usually I go inside via LaConner which also makes a convenient overnight spot. Wind in the summer is very flukey and can be dead calm on one side of an island and blowing a gale on the other side.
At various times I have kept boats in Friday Harbor which is an hour drive plus an hour and twenty minute ferry ride from Seattle, but it maximizes your boat time in the San Juans and Gulf islands.
Moorage is much cheaper on Vancouver Island up north of Victoria, but it is a lot more work to get there. Americans can spend up to 180 days a year in Canada without any paperwork as long as you don't want to work there.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:59   #10

Boat: lancer 36

can't count the number of people dreaming about living aboard who haven't thought about the additional fee required on top of the slip rent. i pay $200 a month live aboard fee plus $618 for my hunter passage 42 in ventura, ca. and the fee is PER PERSON so for a couple or family it can be a bitch. don't mind because it comes with a ton of amenities and there's no way i could live in the area as a retiree otherwise. there can be other costs to live aboard such as internet and tv. even insurance can cost more so be aware of all the costs associated with living aboard before you jump off.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:19   #11

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

Another good deal would be the Port of Brownsville, over on the Hood Canal. You'd still be better off taking the ferry to Seattle than sailing there. You'd be on the Olympic Peninsula, so easy access to the rainforest; you'd be a bit closer to the San Juans, but not all that much. Most of the "Seattle" marinas, have waiting lists, and that includes things north and south on the Sound. I've been on the waiting list at Des Moines for 6 months, and expect I have another 2 years before I'm offered a slip there.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:45   #12

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I don't know what the current wait list is like, but you might inquire into the Port of Everett. Very close to Hwy 2 (Stevens Pass skiing, hiking) and only about 8 or 9 hours from the San Juans. It is about a 3 or 4 hour trip to Seattle by boat though, but only about 45 minutes to an hour by auto.

Here is a link which includes the distances to some selected locations from Everett. Note that travel times are based on a 7 knot speed.

Nautical Miles From Everett
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:48   #13

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Check out Poulsbo. Resign yourself to paying about that amount unless you anchor out.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 16:40   #14

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Well I think we have had this conversation before. You have some good ideas and suggestions here. I brought my boat up from Calif. almost 30 years ago and have been a resident and while working in a good share of the marinas. I can remember being in 8 different. It sort of depends on your extra interests. Will you have a car? Everett is great but there is not even a grocery store nearby. Bus and cabs yes. I have settled in Anacortes, Two days from Seattle (if you catch the tides right) and they make a big difference. But an easy drive. I am in Cap Sante (liveaboards allowed, and we have dock boxes. Everett does not allow dock boxes which really are helpful.) Across the street is Safeway and a few blocks away a big market and in the summer a farmer's market. Like wise West Marine, Ace Hardware, and Sebo's a great hardware. All easy walking distance. Also walking distance to banks. Good pubs and restaurants easy walk even after a few. My favorites are "Anthony's Home Port" and "The Secret Cove" which is up hill but down hill going home. That is important. Everything easy to bicycle to. The town has dancing, Spanish lessons and several gyms. Friendly people, merchants, and understanding police. There is something Nautical and Motorcycle always going on in Anacortes. You can take an easy ferry to the Islands and on to BC. Your choice of boats would be a bit heavy for my taste. I would much rather have the Passport 40. If you can handle the expense. Or for liveaboards the 36' Islander Freeport. Which was designed for 2 people. Maybe not the best sailor but damn nice and functional down below. And in the 65-75K range. Cap Sante, aka Port of Anacortes, also has customs clearance which is nice coming back from Canada. Their number is 360-293-0694. You can PM me when in town and we can continue this over a micro brew at "The Brown Lantern or the "Majestic Hotel. I know them all. Sid aka Sunseeker
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 17:10   #15

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker View Post
Well I think we have had this conversation before. You have some good ideas and suggestions here. I brought my boat up from Calif. almost 30 years ago and have been a resident and while working in a good share of the marinas. I can remember being in 8 different. It sort of depends on your extra interests. Will you have a car? Everett is great but there is not even a grocery store nearby. Bus and cabs yes. I have settled in Anacortes, Two days from Seattle (if you catch the tides right) and they make a big difference. But an easy drive. I am in Cap Sante (liveaboards allowed, and we have dock boxes. Everett does not allow dock boxes which really are helpful.) Across the street is Safeway and a few blocks away a big market and in the summer a farmer's market. Like wise West Marine, Ace Hardware, and Sebo's a great hardware. All easy walking distance. Also walking distance to banks. Good pubs and restaurants easy walk even after a few. My favorites are "Anthony's Home Port" and "The Secret Cove" which is up hill but down hill going home. That is important. Everything easy to bicycle to. The town has dancing, Spanish lessons and several gyms. Friendly people, merchants, and understanding police. There is something Nautical and Motorcycle always going on in Anacortes. You can take an easy ferry to the Islands and on to BC. Your choice of boats would be a bit heavy for my taste. I would much rather have the Passport 40. If you can handle the expense. Or for liveaboards the 36' Islander Freeport. Which was designed for 2 people. Maybe not the best sailor but damn nice and functional down below. And in the 65-75K range. Cap Sante, aka Port of Anacortes, also has customs clearance which is nice coming back from Canada. Their number is 360-293-0694. You can PM me when in town and we can continue this over a micro brew at "The Brown Lantern or the "Majestic Hotel. I know them all. Sid aka Sunseeker

+1 on Anacortes I was just trying to get the OP a spot close to Seattle, but Anacortes is a great spot to live, work, and play. Just could never get the Admiral to move up there while were working.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, pacific northwest