Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 04:33   #1

Can my family take your family out to dinner? Need to discuss RTW tactics of family

Hello
My family of four lives in Fort Lauderdale and we're thinking about the proverbial shove off for a round the world trip. There are, of course all the concerns, fears and worries amongst the crew. I'd love to take you and your family out to dinner and learn about how you did it.

Many thanks,

Porter
Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 06:16   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069
Re: Can my family take your family out to dinner? Need to discuss RTW tactics of fami

We've just landed after 2 years at sea. And I can answer your questions. Don't even need to take me out to dinner. I'm in the Ft Lauderdale area. Our boat, Optimus, is downtown.

There are many great groups online for families. I can recommend the group Kids4Sail on facebook. Many are still sailing, just returned, or looking to head out.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 06:33   #3

Re: Can my family take your family out to dinner? Need to discuss RTW tactics of fami

For every sailor that dreams of sailing around the world maybe 1 in thousands actually buys a boat and leaves the dock. From those that leave the dock very few ever make their way out of the Caribbean and through the Canal to actually start crossing oceans. That being said everyone's experiences will be different depending on the boat choice and budget as well as the families attitude. Usually kids don't care if they are crossing oceans or cruising in protected waters of the Caribbean, they just enjoy hanging out with other kids. You can have an absolutely wonderful experience coastal cruising, you don't need to cross oceans. That said there are the odd rare families that do actually go for it and successfully pull it off and you have to admire them for achieving a goal like this but they are indeed rare.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 18:00   #4

How fantastic! We'd love to get together. Are you in town this weekend?
Many thanks
Porter McRoberts
Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 20:49   #5

Boat: Manta, Mark IV, 42' - Hakuna Matata

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardie View Post

There are many great groups online for families. I can recommend the group Kids4Sail on facebook. Many are still sailing, just returned, or looking to head out.

Thanks for the recommendation of Kids4Sail. I had never heard of it before. Since we just moved aboard with 3 kids this sounds like a group we would like to connect with.
Hakuna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 21:04   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

There is a "Cruising with Kids" social group here too, but I see it hasn't had much activity lately. Maybe folks don't know about it?
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruising with Kids
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family