Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 07:42   #1

New Family From the SF Bay Area

Hello,

We have been taking advantage of the vast amount of knowledge in the forums over the last couple of months. We are starting the process of winding down our small business and heading out on a voyage. This month we are focusing on setting a timeline in place as we feel we are more likely to accomplish our goal if it's staring at us on paper.

Background: Both my wife and I came out of the maritime academy licensed on the deck side. Minimal sailing experience, extensive overlanding/mechanical abilities. Kids are 10 and 12 respectively.

Plan is for purchase of a used catamaran, refit, and be on the water in the next 24-36 months. Currently joining our local yacht club and enrolling in sailing classes. Seems the assumption is that since we came out of an Academy, we are sailers..... We manage pretty good on the power side, wind and sail is a whole different matter! Bareboat charters planned this summer in BVI to help and narrow down our vessel selections/gain experience on sail.

See you around.....

Scott & Kathy
Elimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 08:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: New Family From the SF Bay Area

I might skip the sailing classes, as you have the docking and boat handling skills down. Most of the sailing classes is for folks that have never been on a boat. ASA101 is pretty basic and on a 22 foot which is not the same as a 35-45 sailboat. Forces are MUCH highere on the bigger boat. Plus that momentum thingy makes docking a bit more fun the first 10 times or so.

I think crewing on sailboats via yachtclub and or latitude38.com crewlist might serve you better. Being crew on a sailboat in the slot (GG to Berkeley) will teach you tons about reefing and sail handling. And you will have fun too.

The basic's of sailing are fairly easy to understand. Though it takes years to get proficient in reading seas, sail trim, etc. But the basics of hoisting (ok unfurling most liking now a days) the sails and watching the telltails for sail trim and reefing (If you think you should reef, you should already be reefed) can be learned in an hour.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 09:02   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Sailing classes are a good idea and will significantly flatten the learning curve. In the space of a week or two you will gain the knowledge and skills it might otherwise take you an entire summer to acquire on your own.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 09:05   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Sounds like a good plan. Welcome here. I second Sailorchic's advice. You'll probably cruise right through a basic class. Find a skipper looking for crew who doesn't mind adding some instruction to the afternoon (and won't yell at you too much!)
Oh and get those kids out on Lasers soon! They'll love it and they will likely turn out to be the best crew you'll ever have. (but don't yell at them too much. I am learning that the hard way.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 10:02   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a leveled headed and realistic plan. Not the usual 10-15 year plan by others. If taking sailing lessons, it would be a great opportunity to include your children, making it a family affair. Whether you breeze through it or not, there is always something you can learn and young ones would gain confidence.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 04:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Scott & Kathy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 06:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I might skip the sailing classes, as you have the docking and boat handling skills down. Most of the sailing classes is for folks that have never been on a boat. ASA101 is pretty basic and on a 22 foot which is not the same as a 35-45 sailboat. Forces are MUCH highere on the bigger boat. Plus that momentum thingy makes docking a bit more fun the first 10 times or so.

I think crewing on sailboats via yachtclub and or latitude38.com crewlist might serve you better. Being crew on a sailboat in the slot (GG to Berkeley) will teach you tons about reefing and sail handling. And you will have fun too.

The basic's of sailing are fairly easy to understand. Though it takes years to get proficient in reading seas, sail trim, etc. But the basics of hoisting (ok unfurling most liking now a days) the sails and watching the telltails for sail trim and reefing (If you think you should reef, you should already be reefed) can be learned in an hour.
I disagree.....I've owned motor boats full time ( up to 55 feet) for 40 years. Been crewing and bareboat chartering for over 30 years....guess what?.... More than ONE country requires some sort of certificate or license....so, I've enrolled myself in bluidy sailing classes this fall in the BVIs. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to the learning experience.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:19   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome! Agree with above that it might be good to have the cert in hand if you want to charter. I'm going to do the same soon though I've owned my boat for a few years now.

I'm also in the Alameda Estuary now and sail just about every week and any time I find an excuse to go out. It's not a catamaran, but the mechanics are basically the same. Send a PM if you and the family would like to go. My boat is easy to sail so everyone could take the helm and sheets the whole time while I sit back and relax.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I disagree.....I've owned motor boats full time ( up to 55 feet) for 40 years. Been crewing and bareboat chartering for over 30 years....guess what?.... More than ONE country requires some sort of certificate or license....so, I've enrolled myself in bluidy sailing classes this fall in the BVIs. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to the learning experience.
Being grads of the maritime academy, the OP's already have a cert that's better then a ASA or US Boat Cert.. They went commercial and should already have a few months seatime from a cruise on the Bear, at the very least.

Sailing SF Bay can be quite spirited. If you can sail the bay you can pretty much sail anywhere.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 15:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sailing SF Bay can be quite spirited. If you can sail the bay you can pretty much sail anywhere.
Or out to the Farallons up to Tomales Bay and back! (Just an idea)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 21-08-2016, 15:28   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
New Family From the SF Bay Area

Sailorchick34, said if you can sail SF Bay you can sail anywhere. And I believe her.

I've heard that before. Also it is said, "if you can sail the Chanel Islands you can sail anywhere." And on the East Coast I heard, "if you can sail the Chesapeake Bay you can sail anywhere." When I lived in Minnesota I heard, "if you can sail Lake Superior you can sail anywhere." Now, I'd guess UK and Oz sailors and South American and Kiwi sailors and French and South African sailors know that, if you can sail there you can sail anywhere."

So I've concluded that, "if you can sail anywhere you can sail anywhere."😉

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 21:36   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Sailorchick34, said if you can sail SF Bay you can sail anywhere. And I believe her.

I've heard that before. Also it is said, "if you can sail the Chanel Islands you can sail anywhere." And on the East Coast I heard, "if you can sail the Chesapeake Bay you can sail anywhere." When I lived in Minnesota I heard, "if you can sail Lake Superior you can sail anywhere." Now, I'd guess UK and Oz sailors and South American and Kiwi sailors and French and South African sailors know that, if you can sail there you can sail anywhere."

So I've concluded that, "if you can sail anywhere you can sail anywhere."😉

S/V B'Shert
Yeah, I heard this said on the Chesapeake where people would head to the slip when it piped up above 20 knots. Then I came to San Francisco Bay where it's always blowing above 25 knots in the summer; often 30 in the slot. Yet, in the wintertime, we have to break out the paddles to keep moving (yawn) when it's barely blowing. It must have something to do with what people are used to in their particular regions. So, any given day, it could be the toughest place to sail.

Sailorchic, I saw the Golden Bear today. First time ever. They were coming under the Gate with everyone lined up nice on the decks. I leaned back on the helm to steady myself with the bincocs and sat right down on the horn. One loud, long blast as we sailed to stern of them. They're probably still wondering what the hell we were doing
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 20:50   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Scott and Kathy, welcome to CF!

As a sailor who learned from scratch on SF Bay, I reckon that while you do indeed learn a lot about sailing in medium winds on t he bay, it does not teach you much about dealing with open sea conditions and big waves. Nor does it teach you much about weather systems, for the predictable and stable weather patterns enjoyed there are not typical of the world's oceans. So, the old saw about "if you can sail SF Bay..." is a bit optimistic IMO.

None the less, it is a hell of a good place to learn the trade, so take advantage of the great sailing and enjoy the ride.

Jim
Old 23-08-2016, 22:19   #14

Boat: Skookum 47

Will have to agree with Jim as well. The Bay lacks swell, has a predictable weather pattern, and help is but a short call away. That said, having access to great sailing all the time with "spirited" winds will help get a feel for things.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 13:09   #15

I think it is a good thread idea to find out who rightfully can lay claim to "if you can sail here you can sail anywhere." But if you include going out the Gate a ways up or down the coast, fog, open ocean conditions, strong tidal currents and then coming back in and anchoring in bay mud and sunken debris... there is plenty the SF Bay area offers in skill development!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
family, sf bay