Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 09:26   #1

Ionian or Saronic Islands?

Hello all, new to the forum and looking for advice. Our group of 4 couples is coming to Greece with experience bare-boating in the BVI's and would like a similar experience - relatively close anchorages, snorkeling, beaches and with towns/taverna's/ancient history replacing the beach bars.

We are flying from the US to Athens, and are considering the Saronic gulf or S Ionian out of Lefkas in late June on a catamaran. The thought of a 5-6 hour bus ride to Lefkas doesn't sound great, but the bays, beaches, and small towns of the Ionian look great from satellite on google maps. Either way it looks like we are in for med mooring replacing the convenience of mooring balls in the BVI!

Would appreciate pros/cons of each option. Thanks in advance.
out_of_office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:42   #2

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40
Re: Ionian or Saronic Islands?

Hello,

Both will be OK! And in June the airport near Lekfada has connections to Athens and major European cities. I travelled from there to Rome and Barcelona!

Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:42   #3

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Aktion airport (PVK) near Preveza is the closest airport for Lefkas but most airlines that fly there are either charters or low cost airlines.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 06:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

In both areas the winds are mainly light. The Ionian can be very crowded, especially if you want to visit the popular islands/villages. The Saronic Gulf has far fewer flotillas than the Ionian and is therefore less busy. Both areas have good anchorages and town quays to tie to. How long are you planning to charter for?

Personally, having cruised both areas for at least two seasons each, I prefer the Saronic Gulf. There is plenty to keep you busy and if you have time you could get out to some of the islands - Hydra, Spetses, Kea and Kithnos.
Old 22-11-2017, 19:53   #5

Boat: between boats

both are very similar. both have light winds many anchorages and many town quays. yes there are less charter flotillas in saronic but its a smaller area so it seemed about the same population pressure to me.

you will probably motor more and sail less in the saronic but catching the afternoon "buka dura" will still give you some brisk sailing nonetheless.

if time is tight and you cant get a connection to preveza then go the saronic, if you can then the ionion charter area is a bit bigger and you can still find a solo remote anchorage if thats your thing.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 05:20   #6

I just came back from the season in the Aegean. Everything I've heard from my colleugues and friends is that Lefkas has barely any wind until about 11:00, at which point it gets useable, and by 15:00 it's perfect if not too strong, then returning to barely anything by 19:00.

The saronic is not like that at all, instead, probably because of the influence of the meltemi, the wind is constantly changing strength and direction. As a result, there aren't as many accessible islands and bays as the Ionian, and you need to keep your wits about you with regard to the weather. The bouka doura is the afternoon south easterly which mainly affects the argolic, rather than the saronic, it gets to about bf5-6 max, and if you leave Nafplion at the wrong time it can really screw your day up because of the fetch.

All that said, I sailed pretty much every day in the Aegean, and I have friends who sailed 3 times in the whole season in Lefkas. I would say if you're looking for sailing, go to the saronic, if you're looking for bays and culture, go to Lefkas.

However, if you're used to the BVI, look at the Cyclades. Beaches there are better than the saronic, the sailing is better and the area is nicer in my opinion. Also, you have the option to simply free swing, which is even easier than buoys!

If I was going to go for a week, depending on the weather, I would go;
Athens-Vouliagmeni on saturday night. There's a great fish restaurant on the east shore of the south bay, and the anchorage is normally sheltered.
From vouliagmeni to Kythnos (Kolona beach, shaped like an hourglass!) on monday, stopping for lunch at cape sounion (which has an ancient temple on the cliffs.)
Tuesday Kolona to Serifos (Livadhi) which is the port, the chora/capital of the island is on a mountain directly above the port, and the view from the church at the top is absolutely incredible. Again, you can free swing if you want, or get on the outer quay. Inside is a bit too small for a cat bigger than 40 foot.
From serifos on wednesday I'd leave early and go to Hydra, which is the jewel of the saronic, no cars, touristy, very beautiful. Go to Mandraki bay and get a water taxi if you're going any later than the first week of June, as the town quay gets truly insane.
Thursday I'd go late from Hydra to probably Palaia Epidhavros, stop for lunch at the beach on the n.e shore of akgistri or maybe Russian's bay just w of Poros town. Epidhavros has this amazing ancient theatre which you need to get taxis to (the best time is about 08:00), but the village where the quay/anchorage is has nothing outside a few tavernas and shops, so you can chill in Hydra or whatever you want to do in the morning.
Friday back to Athens, stop between the little islands on the s.w point of salamis, just e of Kolones, it's very beautiful and relaxing before you have to return to the monstrosity that is Athens.

Don't expect anything from snorkelling. The BVI makes the med look dead, it's not worth getting your hopes up over. Also, Athens is vile, figure on spending as much time as you need for the parthenon and ares, but no more.

Hope that helps, I made an account to dispel the myths!
quille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 09:28   #7

Boat: Norstar 360

My apologies to all Forum contributors for my general lack of participation...I will be trying harder at giving, and not just receiving

We recently completed our 4th season cruising this area of the world. We started in 2014 in Turkey and cruised most of the Turkish coastline, most of the Aegean, Saronic, Ionian, Adriatic, Sicily and surrounds....wintering in Malta this year. All told about 18 months of sailing. Some general thoughts...

Generally in this broad part of the world there is either very little wind or a LOT of wind. There are however enough days of “sweet spots” to create memories. The Aegean (including the Saronic Gulf area) definitely has more wind. We found after two months in he Ionian (south of Lefkada) we had sailed maybe a handful of times. Between Lefkas and Corfu there is some more wind.

We have enjoyed all of this area so it’s hard to opine on what to recommend. But I offer a more positive recommendation to the Saronic.

The Sarnic Gulf “area” has a LOT of historrical sites , much more than the south Ionian islands. If you take advantage of bus/taxi/rental cars at some of the town quays you will get your choice and fill of historical sites!

Nafpleon is a great town, one of my favorites, albeit a bit smelly when it’s excessively hot. Hydra is a hoot but don’t anchor in the harbor, its three deep med-mooring walking across tops of boats to get ashore...and a row of boats opposed in the small bay. Crossed anchors is not common...it’s mandatory. There are a good number of other great stops on the typical route from Athens to Nafpleon and back...

Get Rod and Lu Heikel’s cruising guide(s) for the area (regardless of your choice) as its the best!

More upon trequest
Brewer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:10   #8

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by out_of_office View Post
Hello all, new to the forum and looking for advice. Our group of 4 couples is coming to Greece with experience bare-boating in the BVI's and would like a similar experience - relatively close anchorages, snorkeling, beaches and with towns/taverna's/ancient history replacing the beach bars.

We are flying from the US to Athens, and are considering the Saronic gulf or S Ionian out of Lefkas in late June on a catamaran. The thought of a 5-6 hour bus ride to Lefkas doesn't sound great, but the bays, beaches, and small towns of the Ionian look great from satellite on google maps. Either way it looks like we are in for med mooring replacing the convenience of mooring balls in the BVI!

Would appreciate pros/cons of each option. Thanks in advance.
As others have said, Ionian is busier than the Saronic gulf. However if you venture further into the Aegean in summer you may encounter the Meltimi, which is a nightmare. When snorkelling in the Med, don't expect to see many fish,. Its not the BVIs! Whereever you go, invest in a trip hook. I promise you that you'll use it either for yourself or a grateful neighbour
A good summary of the option is listed on Jim B's site
There is a lot of information on the Cruiser's Wiki. And then of course, you can read my blog as we have sailed both areas

You'll enjoy it

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ionian