Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2008, 20:58   #1

Lagoon 440 or 500 - Anyone Sailing these Models ?

Im looking at them and wonder how you like sailing it?
Good and bad points.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 07:40   #2

Boat: in the market for a cat
I also am curious about the differences in sailing these two sized boats, as to speed, ease of sailing and maintenance.
stupidape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 08:48   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380; Indigo Moon
Hi viderov,

I have lived and cruised fulltime aboard a Lagoon 380 for four years now and we buddy-boated with a 440 for six months in 2005.

I have sailed both the 440 and the 500 that was in the 2005 Annapolis Show.

What do you specifically want to know? Both of those boats are spectacular inside . . . very nicely finished and are long-legged, fast boats.

Also, the evolution of cat design has resulted in wider hulls providing greater load carrying capacity and larger accomodations down below.

The result is the the newer style 440 and 500 generation of Lagoons rival the load carrying and space of an old style 570, and all without sacrificing speed.

The biggest complaint I hear is that some folks complain about the prospect of being up on that raised helm in a survival storm, etc. But that begs the question: why would you be out in a survival storm?

If you sail in-season and along accepted routes, and pick excellent weather windows, odds are you'll never see the perfect storm.

Bottom line: people we know with 440's love them!

All the best,

Buddy
Old 22-10-2008, 02:39   #4

Boat: Hanse 371
I'm planning a 2 week bareboat charter with the Lagoon 440 to the
Winward Islands next November. ( starting off in Le Marin Martinique )
Any tips / suggestions for sailing the Lagoon 440 ?

Greetz,

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 04:03   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440 Ainulindale
I own a 2007 440 and am very happy with it. Have not sailed the 500 however looked it over at the show both before and after our purchase and can confirm that we prefer the 440 layout. For instance, try imagining 2 people in the galley of the 500 - too cramped. The 440 galley is more open and faces the cockpit action through a pass-thru window, 500 galley seems isolated from the outside action. Not that I spend that much time in the galley, mind you.
The primary curse/blessing to both boats is the beam. The extra width over sat the FP Belize makes the interior feel substantially more roomy, however, at 25'3" the haul-out options are extremely limited.
The boat is extremely easy to sail, however. Only glitch there is the very high boom. I added a step ladder to sip the Stack-pack.
Cheers!
Kirk

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Tom Petty
nodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 20:43   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380; Indigo Moon
Kirk,

Glad you guys love your 440!

The high boom is the only thing that my friends found challenging. But, they got used to the drill and got good steps put in up the mast and devised a looped piece of tubing on a boat hook to help the sail into the stack pack when needed.

But, as you know, this is a very small tradeoff for all you gain from the new style 440 and 500.

As for sailing the 500, it is, as you would expect, very stable and has the additional weight to take on headseas.

We sailed the 500 upwind on the Chesapeake in 18 to 22 knots of true wind and into a nasty, steep, three to four foot wind driven sea. It was like a cruise ship! Double digit speeds and smooth! Awesome!

The 440 would have felt that a little more but stayed relatively smooth. M little 380 would have been falling off into them!

I agree with you, Kirk, on the 440 layout being better from galley in the action standpoint. I really like the 440.

Onviously, either boat is a great choice for super luxury and super performance!

As for advice on chartering a 440, that's easy. . . HAVE FUN!

All the best,

Buddy
Old 08-10-2014, 16:09   #7

Re: Lagoon 440 or 500 - Anyone Sailing these Models ?

Does the Lagoon 500 have a two piece mast ?
ikold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 18:59   #8

Boat: Lagoon440 - Ripples II

Bought a 440 last February in Guadeloupe, and never looked back. Owned a FP 38 previously, sailed on FP43, other 40' cats, and seriously looked at some 380's, but me and the admiral are so happy we went with the 440.
Obviously the room, the open galley mentioned already, but for us ( and there is just the two of us on the boat with occasional visitors), it's the outdoor spaces, main cockpit, forward cockpit and the raised helm that made the difference for us.
Once you have experienced the raised helm with 360 degree views in the marina, or on a crossing between islands, you will not be able to go back to just sitting behind the bulkhead.
On crossings between islands, we and our guests are all on top, much more comfortable and pleasant than being in the rear facing cockpit, especially when the waves start hitting the 6' + between the islands.
Of course, choosing the weather windows is important, and that depends on your style of cruising - we tend to be patient and wait, with an occasional shower not a problem. Yes, somewhat exposed if weather deteriorates, but that's true of most boat cockpits.
The high boom is the one downside, but you learn to manage. A small step ladder, and lowering the bimini and boom make it manageable to work the mainsail and cover.

The 440 is not a light boat, but easily does 8-10 knots in comfort - beyond that usually means a more adventurous ride then we like, and so will reef to keep in that speed range and stay comfortable.

No extended voyaging yet, so can't comment on spending week(s) at sea, but spending months island hopping was a blast.

Claude
Ripples II
L440

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
2Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 16:42   #9

Boat: Beneteau 390. 38'
Send a message via Skype™ to Sotar

I am in the market to buy a 440 in the next few weeks. What are some thing I should look for that are not obvious. My partner is flying to inspect the first boat next week. We are trying to put a list together. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:20   #10

My family are looking at buying a 440 at the end of 2017. We are seeing some very well priced ex-charter boats in Croatia. We were wondering if there are any obvious pitfalls in taking this approach.
symgardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 00:22   #11

I am new, Just bought a Lagoon 440, 2009. Excellent condition except for the Starboard Rudder bearings, these need to be replaced.
Is there anyone here that has done this job?
Please could you assist.
Thanks

Mark
kayfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 20:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by symgardiner View Post
My family are looking at buying a 440 at the end of 2017. We are seeing some very well priced ex-charter boats in Croatia. We were wondering if there are any obvious pitfalls in taking this approach.
I am seeing them as well and have the same questions...
I hope Simone will have some info
yogitrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 15:35   #13

i don't have experience on L440, but owned a boat with sunsail for 5 years in Croatia. Here some few things:
- climate there is much better/dryer than Caribbean. So the charter boats typically end up in better shape
- charter season is also shorter, so overall, boats get less used over the ~5 years period
- Unless some aggressive crews are renting the boat in winter, early or late season, there aren't much wind during summer time, and typically the rigging won't be as damaged compared to other locations.
- flip side is the number of engine hours. Engine will likely have gone through heavy used. Note that this is not necessary a negative: i believe it is better when people motor 4h from one mooring to another at 2500rpm and charge the batteries, than sail there, and use the engine to charge the battery for 2h at 1200rpm
- there are many moorings, no or low tides, deep anchoring required in many places, with rocks going straight down to 10m bottom, so risks of boat hitting ground are also quite low.

This is why we picked that location. It was not as efficient from a charter revenue point of view, but the boat was in very good condition and sold fast (even considering the number of engine hour).
The base did also a very good job in the maintenance (but we were on their back all the time!)

There are exceptions of all what i said above: Bora can blow bad even in early July, in crowded anchorages, where tons of boats will hit each others... And it's common to anchor and get stern to coast. I'm sure some rudders would eventually get damaged

But Croatia is fantastic area. It seems it has become even more popular now and probably explains why there are so many boats going out of charter fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogitrek View Post
I am seeing them as well and have the same questions...
I hope Simone will have some info
c-reel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, Lagoon 440, sailing