Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 16:18   #1

GPS position jumping in a square pattern on Opencpn

I use an window 10 OS on a new Dell laptop (purchased yesterday Friday 10/29. I have successfully installed Opencpn on it and managed to obtain a GPS position from my Furuno GPS 31.

The problem is that after few seconds the position is moved in a square pattern (south America-Africa-Europe and back to the correct position). The NMEA Debug window show a red line (wrong or incorrect data) of data every so often. I suppose that is this wrong data that send the position around.

Any suggestion as how to fix this issue?

Serge from S/Y Kuaka
Crottaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 21:25   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: GPS position jumping in a square pattern on Opencpn

Bizarre, I'd get another GPS, but perhaps you are not getting a good signal. Is the GPS outside? Are you in a multi story building or something? Go outside with it, if you arent already there with an open sky. I suppose you are in the boat, perhaps try the cockpit.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 22:42   #3

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32
Re: GPS position jumping in a square pattern on Opencpn

My backup GPS is an old Android phone with the ShareGPS app side loaded onto it. This phone is not rooted nor does it even have a sim card. Instead, every useless App is disabled to limit CPU demand, storage, heat generation and battery drain. It is in linked via Bluetooth and sealed in a watertight plastic case.

It trickle charges (.5 amps - enough charge when only using it for GPS) via a DigiYes® Ultra Slim Compatible Wireless Charging Receiver and a Turbot Wireless Charger, 3-Coils Qi Wireless Charging Stand. Or you can just buy an extra long USB charging cable, a ziplock bag and a little dab of epoxy to get the 1.5 amp charge.

Long story short, (I know, too late...) you can hack an old cellphone (or 2, 3, 4 or 5) to deliver NMEA compliant, GPS sentences to your laptop, tablet or whatever via WiFi or Bluetooth. This makes a great backup to your onboard GPS and can also be used to test your system.

Btw, with a long cord, you can place the phone anywhere within range of your laptops' Bluetooth or Wifi.

Hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottaz View Post
I use an window 10 OS on a new Dell laptop (purchased yesterday Friday 10/29. I have successfully installed Opencpn on it and managed to obtain a GPS position from my Furuno GPS 31.

The problem is that after few seconds the position is moved in a square pattern (south America-Africa-Europe and back to the correct position). The NMEA Debug window show a red line (wrong or incorrect data) of data every so often. I suppose that is this wrong data that send the position around.

Any suggestion as how to fix this issue?

Serge from S/Y Kuaka

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn