Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 17:19   #1

Puerto Rico: Culebra and Vieques

Chartering a 49' monohull in February with four adults and four teens.

I know the charter company can tell me, but I like to plan ahead... Are there places on either island for refueling? Water?

Marina, or anyplace with slips/dock?

Other advice?

Thanks!
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 17:49   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Puerto Rico: Culebra and Vieques

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmCA View Post
Chartering a 49' monohull in February with four adults and four teens.

I know the charter company can tell me, but I like to plan ahead... Are there places on either island for refueling? Water?

Marina, or anyplace with slips/dock?

Other advice?

Thanks!
I cannot comment on Vieques, but regarding Culebra -- it is a great place, one of our favorites, but you'll never get a 49' monohull into the fuel dock there. If you have jerry cans you move some fuel by dinghy. I wouldn't want have to do hundreds of gallons that way.

You can anchor in Ensenada Honda, or there are moorings too if you prefer, but they're further from town. There's a dinghy dock at the Dinghy Dock Restaurant, and another public dinghy dock just north of there, across the bridge if you're going by foot or golf cart. I've heard there's another dinghy dock a little further west (under the bridge in the dinghy if you're anchored in ensenada honda), but I haven't used it.

If you do go to Culebra, you can rent golf carts to see the island and visit its beaches. Also, we loved Culebrita. It was a little dicey getting in with strong Northeast winds, but well worth the effort.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 01:23   #3

Boat: Benetau 321

Hi . No there is no diesel in either island for diesel refueling.
That is one of the issues w Culebra and Vieques. I am told there will be two more charter companies it may improve.

Both are more difficult than the BVI and Culebra is windward from Fajardo. I am relatively new to sailing so I find it a challenge.

There is an online cruising guide by Frank Virgintino at freecruisingguides.com which I downloaded. It has good info on approaches to inlets and anchorages.
Ray Majors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 01:57   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

You may need to haul a few jugs of water once during the week, but fuel? Where are you chartering from? If you are starting in PR I can't imagine you could burn up your fuel in a week.

You can fill water jugs at The Dinghy Dock.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 07:55   #5

Boat: Tartan 3700

I did that trip in April 2015. There isn't anywhere to fill up and I'm not even sure you could fit at any of the docks we saw. We only used a few gallons of fuel, mostly on the crossing to Culebra from Fajardo after a couple people starting feeling sick so we just motored directly there the rest of the way. We had about 10 gallons of extra water but didn't need it (there were only four of us.)
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 08:55   #6

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

I was in Culebra in August loved the Ensenada Honda go under the bridge in the canal and on the other side you come south of the ferry dock beautiful beaches north and south all to yourself nice town the dingy dock restaurant doesn't like you bringing trash you have to dump it at the city dock. Nice breakfast eatery nice grocery to resuply diesel will be a problem for you.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 20:23   #7

No fuel or marina access in either place where you would be able to fit a 49foot Mono... but you shouldn't need it anyway.I assume you'll be chartering from puerto Del Rey . In February the wind will be slightly north of east.
Sail to Icacos the first day on a broad reach and snorkel/ enjoy the beach and stay overnight next-door at Palomino ( better protection).
Then go around the north side of palomino and sail towards Vieques and tack back towards culebra. We prefer culebra and culebrita over Vieques.
Sailing back is all downwind.

Snorkeling in culebra- Carlos Rosario and playa tamarindo and the north side of cayo Luis Pena.

Dakity in Ensenada Honda is a great protected anchorage.

Culebrita is really nice and probably our favorite but staying there overnight can be very rolly if there's a northern swell. On the weekends it's going to be very crowded. On a weekday you will be the only person there and is absolutely fabulous.

We like mamacitas and the dingy dock for food and drinks. You can dingy to both

Best beaches are Zoni and flamenco on culebra but our favorite is culebrita

Vieques is just ok imho. Not a great sailing destination but I've been told by some locals that the south east side has some great anchorages. Can't comment on the sailing but we have been to the beaches there and they are nice.

Just remember that most places will be busy and sometimes a complete s*#t show on the weekends but you'll be completely alone on the weekdays. Just depends what you're in the mood for .
Also keep in mind that for every single place I mentioned they are free mooring balls everywhere maintained by the Department of natural resources. If you pick one up just snorkel on it and make sure to check the integrity.

Have fun😄
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 21:10   #8

Thanks, everyone.
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 06:36   #9
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajsach View Post
No fuel or marina access in either place where you would be able to fit a 49foot Mono... but you shouldn't need it anyway.I assume you'll be chartering from puerto Del Rey . In February the wind will be slightly north of east.

Just remember that most places will be busy and sometimes a complete s*#t show on the weekends but you'll be completely alone on the weekdays. Just depends what you're in the mood for .
Also keep in mind that for every single place I mentioned they are free mooring balls everywhere maintained by the Department of natural resources. If you pick one up just snorkel on it and make sure to check the integrity.

Have fun😄
thanks for the info.
are you required to use the moorings? roughly how deep are these anchorages?
Old 17-11-2016, 08:27   #10

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We are just back from Culebra and sailed Vieques/Culebra/PR for two weeks last year as well. We are based in the USVI. We love the sailing area and there is a lot to see and do. Your charter company will have advise.

Are you sailing out of Puerto Del Rey marina? If you head to Culebra first, you can stop back at PDR to get water and fuel on the way to Vieques. Unless you have a generator running a lot, you won't need to refuel during your trip. Unless you have a water maker, you may need to take on water.

At Culebra you can get water at the town dock. As of November 6, they were resurfacing the town dock and it was closed. But, the water was turned on. We kept our dinghy at the Dinghy Dock restaurant or the dinghy dock at Milka's grocery in the canal. Diesel and gasoline were available at the Total gas station. They had diesel as of November 2016 for $0.63/liter. You can dinghy right up to the station and do not have to haul jugs.

Sorry, no info on Vieques. We visited in 2015, but fueled and watered at PDR.

We love the SVIs. The people are friendly and groceries, eating out and drinks are cheaper than the VIs.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 08:57   #11

Boat: Tartan 3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
thanks for the info.
are you required to use the moorings? roughly how deep are these anchorages?
We used mooring balls at almost every stop, but you're not required to. We only anchored a couple times, overnight on Vieques in La Chiva and Punta Arenas, and a a day stop on Icacos and one on the west side of Culebra by the ferry dock. The mooring balls were all in 10-20 feet and all the ones we used were in good shape. There were very few boats around mid week, usually one or two in the same anchorage.

Brian
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:26   #12

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Why would you need fuel if your going out for a week? You chartering a sailboatright?
Stephen Fascian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 14:04   #13

Hi, I currently live in PR and have a small power boat in Fajardo. Spend a lot of time in Culebra and Vieques. Please get in touch with me if you need anything!
coastie743 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Culebra, Puerto Rico