Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 09:44   #1

Texas Sailing Oppurtunity

Hello all,

I am looking for a sailboat owner in Texas willing to take my family out for a couple hour sail. I have a lot of sailing experience my my family has not sailed and we are talking about spending a year aboard providing the kids don't get seasick. I will pay the expenses and/or a fee for this service. Thanks, Mark
mmedinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:00   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Texas Sailing Oppurtunity

Where in Texas are you? Texas is a good sized state. Since you have sailing experience and you're willing to pay, have you considered bare boat chartering from most any place giving sailing lessons? For example, Windward SeaVenture out of Kemah rents sailboats from about 20-45 feet.
Old 27-11-2017, 12:01   #3

We live in the DFW area and are willing to go to the Galveston area. A 2 hour sailing intro is about $400 which seems fairly steep. I was hoping to find someone who was willing to to make $250 or so for two hours. I don't have any ASA certs so I had not considered a charter. I have sailed off and on since I was about 8 years old in a Sport Yak to a 37' Morgan which we brought from New Jersey to Louisiana. Charter companies would rather rent to someone with two weekends of experience taking an ASA course rather then 50 years of real seamanship.
Old 27-11-2017, 12:12   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are lots of sailing options near DFW...Lake Texoma, Grapevine, etc. And a few ASA schools.

Try some of the local sailing clubs in the area, I bet someone would take you out just for fun.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 12:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmedinge View Post
... Charter companies would rather rent to someone with two weekends of experience taking an ASA course rather then 50 years of real seamanship.
Thats actually not true, you dont need ASA certs to charter...experience is just fine.
Old 27-11-2017, 17:10   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Thats actually not true, you dont need ASA certs to charter...experience is just fine.

True, I’ve chartered several times and have never set foot into a formal sailing class!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:29   #7

I took the advice to join the Grapevine sailing club and then will join the sail away program to use one of the boats they have. That will get me back on the water and I can take the girls as opportunity arises.
Old 28-11-2017, 09:14   #8

👍

Many years ago, I used to race a lot on Lake Texoma with Texoma Sailing Club at Grandpappy Point Marina. There was also a club at the other end of the lake at Cedar Mills Marina. Both very friendly and family oriented. Assuming they are still in operation would be good to check into.

Texoma is big enough that it makes a good cruising lake. Many times I spent up to a week cruising the lake, lots of anchorages and good sailing. I also used to captain charters there, but dont know if there is still a charter operation there.
Old 16-12-2017, 21:02   #9

I am looking for a sailboat owner in Florida willing to take me out for a couple days sail.
Thanks
paolodig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 16:25   #10

Boat: 1979 Chrysler 26'

mmedinge - I was wondering if you went ahead and joined the Grapevine Sailing Club, and if you have been able to get on the water like you wanted? I have a sailboat on Lake Grapevine, just let me know if I can help you out.

I also need to look for crew for some days I want to sail and the wife and/or friends are not able to join, as I do not feel comfortable single handing in and out of the slip yet.

post back or PM me if I can help or to exchange info for possible crew
Livinchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, texas