Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2018, 13:12   #1

Bavaria Cruiser 42 engine not charging house battery

HI, I can't find an answer in search so thought to post.

I just purchased a Bavaria Cruiser 42 (2005) and I am working my way around the electrics to understand how it works (All the manuals are in german or Italian so lots of googling for PDFs in English). I noticed that only the engine battery and not the house batteries are being charged when the engine is running. I expected all the batteries to be charged from the alternator. Is there a hidden switch somewhere that I have missed that allows the house bank to be charged?

Regards

Sam
SpinDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 14:13   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Bavaria Cruiser 42 engine not charging house battery

FWIW my boat is wired such that only the battery(ies) selected on the main switch are charged by the engine - so I have to remember to select BOTH if I want to charge both batteries.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious and you've already tried this, but it took me a bit by surprise when I first realized it.
Old 29-07-2018, 14:35   #3

My boat does not as far as I can tell have a battery selector switch unless it is in a very hidden place I have not found yet. The only switch I have is a 12v on/off breaker below and to the right of the chart table..
Old 29-07-2018, 16:01   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

You have a switch somewhere. Follow the red cable from the batteries to both ends.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 17:35   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

I'm going from memory here - I sailed a Bavaria on charter once and it had battery switches well hidden in an aft cabin somewhere. Might have been separate switches for 1 on/off, 2 on/off, ground on/off, but there I might be confusing it with another boat.

Look for some big red rotary switches in a strange place. Under the aft berths or ... ?
Old 30-07-2018, 08:15   #6

Boat: Bavaria 34

HI There

There is 2 good site to look at with plenty of Info on Bavaria's the first link you have to pay £20 to join
Home - Bavaria Owners Association

this other is free
Bavaria Yacht Info - Index

Rgds
Mike
bck73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:19   #7

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Maybe it is permanently connected via a diode box to prevent the starter battery from emptying itself in 'house' users. Many charter boats have this to avoid the 1-2-All-Off switch.
Old 30-07-2018, 08:35   #8

Boat: vessel deliveries, west coast, N.A.

hmmm... i seem to remember a switch or two under/behind a step in the companionway.
captainjim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:52   #9

Boat: Bavaria Ocean 40

Hi Sam,
I have the Ocean 40.
The Battery Switch on Bavarias ""Generally"" isolate the Negative for batteries, house and Engine Starter etc..
I would start by checking the terminals on the Diode Splitter Block. The alternator ( IN ) feeds that block and it in turn feeds ( OUT 1, 2 ) the battery banks. It can have 2 or 3 outputs. Check connections / voltages out on the terminals..
I say this because I had to replace the block because of connections / corrosion.
I have attached electrical schematics for the Bavaria 42..
Don't know if same as your year / model.

I hope they help out..

Regards,

Brendan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P 420.pdf (575.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: pdf Pa420pln.pdf (840.1 KB, 84 views)
brendanmmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 09:53   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Can you ask the previous owner?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 22:17   #11

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
FWIW my boat is wired such that only the battery(ies) selected on the main switch are charged by the engine - so I have to remember to select BOTH if I want to charge both batteries.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious and you've already tried this, but it took me a bit by surprise when I first realized it.
Battery selector switch when properly wired, completely disconnects the non-selected battery bank from everything, including alternator and any other charge source and all loads. Your setup is correct as far as the information given.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 01:35   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanmmaher View Post
Hi Sam,
I have the Ocean 40.
The Battery Switch on Bavarias ""Generally"" isolate the Negative for batteries, house and Engine Starter etc..
I would start by checking the terminals on the Diode Splitter Block. The alternator ( IN ) feeds that block and it in turn feeds ( OUT 1, 2 ) the battery banks. It can have 2 or 3 outputs. Check connections / voltages out on the terminals..
I say this because I had to replace the block because of connections / corrosion.
I have attached electrical schematics for the Bavaria 42..
Don't know if same as your year / model.

I hope they help out..

Regards,

Brendan.
I don’t suppose you have the same for a 2004 49/50 model do you?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:52   #13

Thanks for all the information guys, I spoke to the previous owner and he confirmed it has a diode system that automatically selects the bank to charge (based on state of charge of the starter battery I guess?)

Unfortunately I am however not seeing it switch to charge the house bank and I am also seeing what I think is overcharging of the starter battery when the engine in running the voltage meter on the panel is reading just over 15v which seems excessive (I haven't read direct at the battery terminals with my Multi-meter yet but will when I get back to the boat)

My thoughts are that maybe the starter battery (80AH SLA) is broke and needs replacing causing the charging diode thing to not switch or I have messed up something with the wiring somewhere when I took out two of the house batteries (currently just one 150AH SLA) OR the diode is faulty?

In all cases I want to make sure I know what is wrong before I replace all the batteries with new AGMs and then proceed to fry them because of a charging issue with the motor.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:23   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDreams View Post
Thanks for all the information guys, I spoke to the previous owner and he confirmed it has a diode system that automatically selects the bank to charge (based on state of charge of the starter battery I guess?)

Unfortunately I am however not seeing it switch to charge the house bank and I am also seeing what I think is overcharging of the starter battery when the engine in running the voltage meter on the panel is reading just over 15v which seems excessive (I haven't read direct at the battery terminals with my Multi-meter yet but will when I get back to the boat)

My thoughts are that maybe the starter battery (80AH SLA) is broke and needs replacing causing the charging diode thing to not switch or I have messed up something with the wiring somewhere when I took out two of the house batteries (currently just one 150AH SLA) OR the diode is faulty?

In all cases I want to make sure I know what is wrong before I replace all the batteries with new AGMs and then proceed to fry them because of a charging issue with the motor.

No, Your starter battery being "broke" has nothing to do with a charge splitter doing it's job.

You have some other problem. The charging diode may be burned out, a fuse blown or some other wiring issue.

From your response it appears that you have no electrical knowledge. It might be a good idea to bring in a professional.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
No, Your starter battery being "broke" has nothing to do with a charge splitter doing it's job.

You have some other problem. The charging diode may be burned out, a fuse blown or some other wiring issue.

From your response it appears that you have no electrical knowledge. It might be a good idea to bring in a professional.
I have little experience with boat electronics but wired my own house and like to put my hand to circuit design and board repair so I am certainly familiare with electronics, just not this type of system. However I feel I should be quite capable of learning and understanding the concepts once I can get the information I need. I will however check the charging diode fuses (once I find them) and trace the problem but while at home thought I would check here in case others had suggestions and advice.

Tags
battery, bavaria, charging, cruise, cruiser, engine