Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 11:27   #1

Texas Gulf Coast

Good afternoon all: For the last couple of years I have been planning on buying a boat 40 to 42 feet, and relocate to a coast. Seattle I think is too cold, San Diego is too expensive so I am looking at Texas. Any thoughts out there on marinas for a live aboard sailboat?
All thoughts appreciated.

sageman
Sageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 11:42   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Texas Gulf Coast

There are lots of liveaboard marinas........Texas is huge, there are a lot of variables to cover here before even beginning to make a suggestion. Do you need to work where there is a large population? Prefer to be closer to Louisiana or Mexico? etc......
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 11:55   #3

There is also the Florida Gulf Coast.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 13:53   #4

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Clear Lake on Galveston Bay has largest concentration of sail related chandelries.

Corpus Christi may have cleaner air.

Theres also marinas in smaller towns like Port Lavaca, Port O'connor, Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, Ingelside, Sea Drift, Fulton and Rockport. For warmer winter weather Port Isabel, puts you close to Mexico.

There are also some who live aboard on Lake Travis near Austin.
But you can't live aboard on Lake Waco, I checked
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 13:57   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Port Aransas would be your best bet. Also, check Kemah/Seabrook areas. Good luck! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 21:56   #6

Boat: Beneteau 41
Noticed nobody mentioned Galveston. The whole Gulf Coast region is pretty good sailing area. Marinas in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida as well as Texas. I'm partial to Texas but I've been to most Gulf ports. Skinny water and ICW make for some interesting sailing and you are only a week from Mexico's Emerald Coast and the Western Caribbean. Keys are close by as well. Weather is mostly hot and humid. Drop on by. You'll love it. Big grin.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 22:28   #7

Clear lake is a great place just be careful with anything over 5 foot draft. There is a lot of skinny water and it gets worse in the winter with a strong northern pushing the water out of the bay.
SeaBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 04:54   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Do keep in mind that anywhere along the coast bordering the Gulf of Mexico you will have to deal with the potential for hurricanes. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:26   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

try mexico. is pretty and if you get far enough away from border towns is cheap. folks are friendly and life is gooood.

louisiana and florida have their points..

ace hardware is a wonderful chandlery. beats the other one hands down.
and has locations everywhere.
online purchases are also goood finds.

you have to seek out a marina if that is what you want---there are lesser priced marinas everywhere and there is anchoring out.

many choices.

there are furycames everywhere the water is hot. good luck making that rule out and keeping boat in warmer areas....

many cool folks in teejass.....kemah area is one place of which even i have heard for keeping boats.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:41   #10

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

We keep our 42 foot 6 foot draft in Kemah. Yes, we do have some thin water and you will learn to respect the channels and to pay attention to your charts but it is not THAT big of a deal. You have to pay attention but you should be doing that anyway.

Lots of great marinas at reasonable prices for live aboards and if you are doing any kind of refit, you would be hard pressed to find a better location for access to supplies. Cost of living in general is lower here than elsewhere in the US and we have a healthy business/employment sector should you wish to work.

Galveston is nice, but has no where near the access to chandleries, groceries,cafes, restaurants, etc that Kemah has.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 05:49   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We spent 2 years in Watergate marina on Clear Lake. Don't let the name fool you, there's nothing clear about it. You don't give many details so it's hard to make recommendations. Are you doing a refit? Are you looking for daysails, good overnights, occasional sailing, just a place to park the boat? It all make a huge difference. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 17:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageman View Post
Good afternoon all: For the last couple of years I have been planning on buying a boat 40 to 42 feet, and relocate to a coast. Seattle I think is too cold, San Diego is too expensive so I am looking at Texas. Any thoughts out there on marinas for a live aboard sailboat?
All thoughts appreciated.

sageman

We are in Port Aransas. We have been in marinas all over the Texas coast and Port A is the best.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 18:07   #13

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Do keep in mind that anywhere along the coast bordering the Gulf of Mexico you will have to deal with the potential for hurricanes. Chuck
Before deciding on any Gulf Coast location it will be prudent to do a historical survey of hurricane activity in the location.

Also, consider that the probable effects of climate change due to increasing global temperatures on the frequency and strength of future storms.

View online photos of hurricane damage until you can't stand it anymore - particularly of marinas...

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38   #14

Boat: Watkins 27

My boat is presently in a private slip in Lake Travis, Austin, TX. I plan to truck her to the Gulf Coast this fall and complete her fitting out and refurbishment there before continuing east.

I'm interested in recommendations for a suitable liveaboard marina or mooring field/anchorage.

requirements:

no minimum size req. My boat is only 27' and marinas I've checked in the Houston/Galveston area have minimum size reqs for liveaboards, usually 32'.

Nearby chandleries.

Nearby haulout facility.

Month to month preferred. No long contract as I don't expect to stay more than 3 months.

DIY work by owner permitted.

Metered dockside electricity and water preferred as I won't use much.
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:13   #15

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt
Thumbs up Re: Texas Gulf Coast

I am at Bayland Marina and there are no minimum boat sizes for livaboards and no charge either. The power is metered at you plug (30/50amp) and they have slips from 35 to 110'. The marina is brand new and only 25 boats there as it was wiped out during the last big storm that hit Texas. The new marina will not be wiped out due to the steel pilings are higher than the land so Baytown will flood 1st. It is easy on and off the freeway but it is the fartherest marina from Galveston. Slips are about 215 a month for 35 foot, so more reasonable and no crime here as the Police keep their boats here. Nice little store and good people. Bayland Marina, look it up on google.
have a good one!
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, texas