Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 12:12   #1

1970 Cheoy Lee Luders 30

1970 Cheoy Lee Luders 30
Located in Emeryville, CA in the San Francisco Bay Area
Asking $12,500

The Arethusa is a 30 foot Cheoy Lee sloop designed by Bill Luders and built in Hong Kong. Cheoy Lees are well known for being solidly built and beautifully designed boats, usually with lots of lovely teak used for exterior brightwork, interior finishing and decks.

This is a full-keeled cruising boat as well, although as you can see in the photos below it has a cutaway forefoot that makes it tack more easily than many full-keeled boats. The hull is thick, hand-laid fiberglass and very solid. I've hauled it a couple of times and there has never been any indication of blisters.

One of the main concerns with these boats is the teak decks they generally come with, which due to age have thinned and lost their plugs, increasing the risk of leaks into the deck core. I removed the teak deck several years ago, and it's now fiberglass and non skid paint. At the same time I also re-bedded the stanchions and other deck hardware.

Another major concern with Cheoy Lees is the chain plates which were sometimes made of sub-standard stainless steel. I replaced the chain plates, standing rigging and lifelines in 2006.

The mast and boom are also aluminum instead of the original spruce, which makes for a lot less maintenance. I removed the mast, stripped and rewired it in 2005 and also replaced the existing spruce spreaders with heavy duty aluminum.

As well as being a beautiful and solid boat, she's also a very comfortable and cozy liveaboard. There's 6' 4" headroom in the cabin, a roomy v-berth, 12v Adler Barbour Cold Machine refrigeration, alcohol stove and hotplate, pressure water with a 35 gallon tank, and a Jabsco head with a 13 gallon holding tank.

I refinished the interior several years ago as well, removed the teak veneer laminate that had been water damaged and replaced it with a red oak veneer. I also refinished the existing solid teak, cabin sole and replaced the windows with safety glass.

Here are a couple of the main issues:

The sails are in okay condition but nothing to write home about. They're fine for bay sailing, and this is a great sailing boat so it's pretty forgiving.

And, the engine currently in the boat is a Volvo MD2B diesel that expired due to corrosion. These are very durable and reliable engines, but they're raw water cooled and tend to succumb to corrosion over time. They're also difficult to find parts for, and what you can find are expensive.

But, in addition to the broken engine I'm including an identical MD2B in great condition that I currently have in storage. I bought this engine last summer and saw it run in the boat yard, which it did very well.

So there you have it. As you can probably tell from my long-winded post, I'm very fond of this boat. It's been a great project, but life beckons and it's time to move on to other things.

She's not perfect, but she's solid and a winning combination of beauty, world cruising potential and comfortable living. I would love to pass her on to somebody who would appreciate her as much as I have.

Check out some links below and hit me up with any questions. Thanks.

More info on the Cheoy Lee Luders 30:
LUDERS 30 (CHEOY LEE) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Luders 30 - Cheoy Lee

A discussion of this boat on Cruisers Forum:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ase-61216.html

More on Bill Luders:
Sailboat designs of Alfred E.Â*Luders by year

What's "Arethusa" mean? (kinda cool)
Arethusa (mythology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tags
cheoy lee