Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 18:13   #1

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M
Best color/type of topside paint for tropical conditions

I got burned when the "two part epoxy" topsides paint turned out to be housepaint. Water under the bridge and a lesson learned. Yet another lesson was a dark color is not a good choice.What is the coolest ( I mean temperature) kind and color of paint to keep my cat as cool as possible in the blazing sun?
Old 31-07-2017, 18:35   #2

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40
Re: Best color/type of topside paint for tropical conditions

Captainwireman,

Obviously the lighter the colour the cooler it will be, however beware - white decks are not recommended (in my opinion) as the glare can be overpowering on the eyes. We have cream decks and find the glare much reduced.

Of course shade is important if living in the tropics. We have shade canvas in light grey from the boom to the life lines which cover the deck and our hull is lined with 1" cork so it is usually pretty comfortable below with through ventilation from deck hatches.

Of course the odd gin and tonic on ice helps!

cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, paint