Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2017, 07:18   #1

Scotland to Canada

I'm new here. Looks like a great group.
I'm planning o taking my 24 foot rib from Italy to North Carolina next Summer. Worried about Scotland to Canada. Cant find info- distances, ports etc. any help greatly appreciated.
sam blount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 08:27   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Scotland to Canada

More info?

A rib will need 'some' fuel. Some distances are big. How do you manage this?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 10:40   #3

Thanks any idea how long longest leg would be? I'm just getting started. Realize may not be feasible.
Old 20-07-2017, 10:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The northern light aircraft route is probably your only choice unless you have a safe range of 1500 miles for the Azores to New Foundland route.

So Scotland to Faroes, Iceland, Greenland, New Foundland. You need to the two books Alan Priddy wrote about his trips from NFL to England having run out of fuel off Iceland and a couple of years later around the world.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beating-Big...ds=alan+priddy

The boat a 10m rib is still somewhere between Scotland and Iceland as it sank.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Confronting...ds=alan+priddy

Bear Grylss also did it with a massive boat and budget so more like gin palace therefore less said about him the better.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 11:24   #5

Thanks. I'll get the books.
Old 20-07-2017, 12:17   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

The longest leg would be as long as the longest distance between your pit stops. But you must let us know the pit stops so that we can tell you the distances.

Let us know the route, we can calculate the distances then.

What rib is this? How much hp power? More than two outboards?

A very interesting project. I did not know this is done. Sounds like fun.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 06:53   #7

Not sure about pit stops. Just starting. In wiki re book you told me abt they said average length is 500 miles with longest being 700, but it sounded like that was from Iceland to Ireland. Will know more when I get book. 90 HP MERC. 10 hp backup. Said he had same length RIB. PROB was he had inboard and pumps didn't work. I wouldn't have that particular problem.
Old 21-07-2017, 06:55   #8

Prestige 5500. Center console. Open
Old 21-07-2017, 08:11   #9

Again just starting. Initial thoughts. Take a 20 hp as 3rd motor. Props extra fittings hoses etc. if longest leg. 500 mi enough gas for 600 or more. Food water thick wetsuit. One son who knows how to fix things.
Old 21-07-2017, 08:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

Long run, I spent a lot of time up that way with the Scottish Fishery Protection. Can be awful weather, very big waves, we used ribs to board the fishing boats, atlantic, and pacific ribs, the atlantic rib was a bit light.

leave the north of scotland, then to orkney, only a few miles, north of orkney to shetland, is maybe at a guess sixty miles, then a big hop to the Faroes, (but you could easily run it in a day on a fast rib with the right weather, a good sea where you could keep the revs up, then to Iceland, and Greenland, then St Johns.

Doing it in those short hops would get you there, but in a rib, it would be a very cold very wet long day. I spent as much as four hours in the RIB with fisheries, and its miserable, and a lot of that time, we would be sat next to a fishing boat at sea.
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 09:55   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Google earth is a great resource to help you make some rough plans. It looks like a couple of legs of around 700 nautical miles. That will take you to northern Newfoundland/Labrador. Still a long way to go to get to North Carolina. I would think it would take you two summers to do the trip from Scotland.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 10:35   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Southern Cross 31

I got disturbed there before I had finished. I noticed prices are ok in orkney, but in shetland they start to get more expensive. in summer you wont have a visibility problem, it never really gets dark, and you will never be that far from a fishing vessel. Not south of the faroes anyway, If you get too cold, find a spanish boat and ask them for some brandy, they throw it about, used to get a coffee off them, half coffee half brandy.

Dont know about the middle part, never been there, been off the faroes, never landed. St Johns, nice harbour, but you get a lot of fog off there in summer, good idea to have radar, its a nice run ashore, battery hotel is pretty good, it overlooks the entrance to the harbour, its on the north side, great views from it. Lots of lonely women there, the men all go to Calgary to work, so plenty of single women in the bars.

I don't know from there to New York, but once you get to New York, you can take the intercoastal all the way to North Carolina, lots of small towns on the intercoastal, I had my boat out of the water at Hampstead in North Carolina, small town, again lots of lonely ladies, long walk from the boat yard to the bar, long walk from the boat yard to anywhere, Carolina Beach had a boat yard opening, thats a great place for partying. In that area, willmington is the main town, and there is a West Marine there. You have to get a visa and cruiser permit for the USA.

It will all cost you a fortune, on hotels, meals, fuel, parts (you will be in places where you may have to wait a week for a part) docking for the boat, the marinas in orkney and shetland are cheap, but I cant say for the intercoastal, you can anchor there, but, you cant really sleep on a rib.

The worst thing other than the cost, is how cold it will be, even in the middle of summer, doing twenty knots across the north atlantic, is going to be very cold.

You would be cheaper to ship the rib there, or even cheaper to sell the one you have here, and buy another there. Not as much fun though. You could save some money by eating fish all the time, just ask the fishing boats for a fry, (they will give you it at sea i have done it)
atlantical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 13:58   #13

Thanks all great info. Yea, I know it'd be cheaper- but...
Old 21-07-2017, 19:00   #14

To Atlantical. Good tip on the Spaniards. Also, if you have names or phone numbers, if be happy to give them your regards. McPherson Clan. Mother an Archibald. Touch not the cat bot the glove.
Sorry- been drinking a bit.
Old 21-07-2017, 21:20   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This isn't you is it? Whew, need good knees and strong thighs and back for that trip.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, Scotland