Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 19:11   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Bilge pump recommendations

Hello All!

I have my boat hauled for bottom paint and routine maintenance. Inevitably, you find some none-routine items, right? To pull my prop shaft I had to partially disassemble the aft head, just to get to the coupling on the back end of the transmission, and this so happens to be where one of three bilge pumps is located. It's in sad shape, working, but barely. Since this is such an inaccessible location (once the head is put back together), I'm going to err on the side of safety, and just replace the pump with a new one.

Any recomendations on brand, automatic vs. external float switch, etc? I'll be replacing a Rule-Mate 2000. Not opposed to Rule, but if there's something better I should consider, please educate me.

Thanks,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 19:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Bilge pump recommendations

The ONLY bilge pump switch we sell is the Ultra Safety one... not cheap but bullet proof.
TEF-GEL - Ultra safety systems - Home page
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 19:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
The ONLY bilge pump switch we sell is the Ultra Safety one... not cheap but bullet proof.

Thanks, Scott. I have one of these switches on my forward primary bilge pump, and it was replaced last year after a lighting strike. Works great.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 25-06-2017, 20:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Yep, bullet
proof but not lightning proof!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 21:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Remember "bilge pumps" have two very different functions -- maintaining the bilge by getting normal seepage (rain down the mast etc.) out, and moving water in case of an emergency. Pumps like the Rule 2000 in my opinion are too big and noisy for the first job, and too small for the second.

I've had good luck with Whale Supersubs for maintenance pumps. The integrated electronic switch works well and I haven't had a failure. Even better is a Jabsco or similar diaphragm pump, which could be remote mounted in order to get the pickup just where it's needed, but these are expensive.

For moving water, I have a pair of Rule 4000's with Ultra Junior switches. But I don't think this is really the best option. Doing it over again, I would go with the KPM Bilge Predator pump, which is really heavy duty, and which macerates. My Rule pumps look like toys in comparison. See: Bilge Pumps | KPM Marine
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 00:33   #6
cruiser

DON'T BUY a KPM Predator bilge pump like I did. A complete POS (piece of sh*t)) with deplorable non-existant customer service. I'll be doing a review on it shortly. The damn thing only works occasionally when I manually prime it and when it doesn't self-destruct.

The first time I turned the KPM POS on, the entire bottom half fell off when the cheap pot rivets let go. I was able to capture the event on video. That was four weeks ago, and the company has never returned a single phone call or email.

It's not even heavy enough to be an effective anchor. It's been our most disappointing purchase ($800) EVER! A terrible company and dealer network.

All hype.... total junk.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 01:37   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
DON'T BUY a KPM Predator bilge pump like I did. A complete POS (piece of sh*t)) with deplorable non-existant customer service. I'll be doing a review on it shortly. The damn thing only works occasionally when I manually prime it and when it doesn't self-destruct.

The first time I turned the KPM POS on, the entire bottom half fell off when the cheap pot rivets let go. I was able to capture the event on video. That was four weeks ago, and the company has never returned a single phone call or email.

It's not even heavy enough to be an effective anchor. It's been our most disappointing purchase ($800) EVER! A terrible company and dealer network.

All hype.... total junk.
WOW! That's good to know. I had heard very different things about this pump. Be sure to post your video and detailed review.
Old 26-06-2017, 02:39   #8
cruiser

Quote:

All hype.... total junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
WOW! That's good to know. I had heard very different things about this pump. Be sure to post your video and detailed review.
Update:

Apparently, my latest emails (today) have finally got the company official's attention. They now seem to be doing everything possible to get me a new pump ASAP at their expense in order to remedy the situation. It now appears very possible, the communications issues were with the retail rep.

I'm giving the company a second chance, will keep you posted, but I might not receive the replacement pump until I arrive in Montenegro in two to three weeks time.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 03:05   #9

Boat: Presto 36

My maintenance bilge pump in a ancient DC Rule 500 with the old style float switch. My emergency DC bilge pump is a Shurflo 2000 with a Ultra Safety Jr. switch. I also have a manual whale pump whose pump handle is located in the cockpit at the helm. Also in attendance is a 110 volt AC bilge pump for the times when the boat is attached to shore power.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 03:41   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Update:

Apparently, my latest emails (today) have finally got the company official's attention. They now seem to be doing everything possible to get me a new pump ASAP at their expense in order to remedy the situation. It now appears very possible, the communications issues were with the retail rep.

I'm giving the company a second chance, will keep you posted, but I might not receive the replacement pump until I arrive in Montenegro in two to three weeks time.

Ken
I can't quite imagine that they are as bad as all that. I was turned on to them by a windfarm support vessel skipper. Those pumps are apparently universally used on such workboats, so hard to imagine they could be so bad.

But in any case, we will all look forward to your detailed review, photos, and videos.

Acquiring one of these to replace my Rule 4000's is high on my list of things to do this year, so I'm keenly interested.
Old 26-06-2017, 04:46   #11

Boat: Anastasiades One off 132'

for inaccessible spaces would you not rather install a rigid piping system and place a pump with priming capacities somewhere where you could get to it ?

pumps will all break eventually, probably (some faster than others) but even a loose connection could turn into a problem when you get an emergency situation underway and can't fix it ?
lifemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 04:59   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Since you have a Rule Mate 2000 I would replace it with the regular Rule 2000 and an Ultra Safety Systems switch. These are about as reliable as you can get and you won't have to change your hose size.
Old 26-06-2017, 18:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Since you have a Rule Mate 2000 I would replace it with the regular Rule 2000 and an Ultra Safety Systems switch. These are about as reliable as you can get and you won't have to change your hose size.
I found a regular Rule 2000 pump in a locker, so well go with this suggestion, or a derivative thereof.

I read an article by Don Casey where he recommends a 2 stage system. Mount a smaller (say around 500 gph) fully automatic pump in the lowest spot of the bilge, and then the higher capacity pump on a raised platform with either a float switch, or even a manual switch. The logic is that the high capacity pump stays high and dry, except when needed in an emergency. This extends it's life almost indefinitely.

Installing a Bilge Pump by Don Casey - BoatTECH - BoatUS

Interesting read, any thoughts?
Old 26-06-2017, 19:00   #14

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Some more good reading for you:

Boats, Yachts: All About Bilge Pumps - Those Essential Devices for Keeping Your Boat Off the Bottom

Mr. Pascoe seems to prefer the Rule pumps

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 20:36   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I found a regular Rule 2000 pump in a locker, so well go with this suggestion, or a derivative thereof.

I read an article by Don Casey where he recommends a 2 stage system. Mount a smaller (say around 500 gph) fully automatic pump in the lowest spot of the bilge, and then the higher capacity pump on a raised platform with either a float switch, or even a manual switch. The logic is that the high capacity pump stays high and dry, except when needed in an emergency. This extends it's life almost indefinitely.

Installing a Bilge Pump by Don Casey - BoatTECH - BoatUS

Interesting read, any thoughts?
That's very similar to the setup I have. I have two 900 gph Low Profile Rule pumps mounted low and a 3500 gph Rule mounted higher.

Sometimes backflow from the hose when the pump shuts off can cause the pump to cycle on and off. Then you need to go to a much smaller pump and hose as the article suggested. As an alternative you can go to a positive displacement pump mounted out of the bilge.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, men