Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 14:49   #1

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Anyone know what hardware I need to elevate my boom?

I'd like to try raising my boom a bit. It slides up and down on a track that looks to be built for just that purpose - EXCEPT - I cannot figure out how to peg it up. Currently it always just weights itself into the lowest position. There is a little hinge looking bracket thing that seems like it might be useful for something???? Currently when I lower my mainsail all the things that hold the sail to that track just pop off (at that hinge looking thing). If there was something I could attach there to keep them all in the track it would save me much time in lowering and raising the main.

Any ideas what hardware fell off or what might work in its stead or if there is something I have that I haven't figured out how to use?

Thanks for your help! Pictures below.

theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 14:52   #2

Re: Anyone know what hardware I need to elevate my boom?

A cleat on the mast and a bit of line to hold up the boom???
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 14:56   #3

Any idea how to raise my boom, or what hardware I'm missing??

I'd like to try raising my boom a bit. It slides up and down on a track that looks to be built for just that purpose - EXCEPT - I cannot figure out how to peg it up. Currently it always just weights itself into the lowest position. There is a little hinge looking bracket thing that seems like it might be useful for something???? Currently when I lower my mainsail all the things that hold the sail to that track just pop off (at that hinge looking thing). If there was something I could attach there to keep them all in the track it would save me much time in lowering and raising the main.

Any ideas what hardware fell off or what might work in its stead or if there is something I have that I haven't figured out how to use?

Thanks for your help! Pictures below.

Old 17-05-2017, 15:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Any idea how to raise my boom, or what hardware I'm missing??

The eaten up aluminum fitting looks to be a hinged stop for the sail slugs. If you could pry it out a little, it would stop the slides from coming off the bottom of the trap. Normally it would be a bit proud of the track when closed stopping the slides from coming off and swung open to let the slides come off. If it's frozen in position, which it looks like it might be, drill and tap for a 1/4" bolt at the bottom or just below the sail track to stop the slides.

The sliding track for the boom is the old way to adjust leech tension on the main. Meant to hoist the main and goose neck to near the top of the sliding track and then pull it down with tackle to tension luff for different wind conditions.

That function is normally done these days with a fixed height goose neck with a Cunningham and tackle on the sail itself to tension the luff. You could raise the boom/goose neck car to whatever height on the track that works for you then drill and tap for a bolt top and bottom of the goose neck car to fix it in place.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 15:18   #5

Boat: J/42

You might be missing a piece. I have a gooseneck that looks somewhat similar to that, but there is a knob in the middle (where it's almost impossible to get your fingers on) that screws a pin through the gooseneck into holes on the track. Or maybe just holds it by friction - I almost never move it and can't remember off-hand.

Other than that... ye olde opposing tensions of the halyard and the down-haul do the tricke.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 15:23   #6

Thanks for the the answers. Seems an easy fix but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious solution.
Old 17-05-2017, 15:28   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

That eye on the bottom of the gooseneck slide is where the downhaul purchase attaches, other end attaches to mast step or deck eye. Schaeffer makes a sail slide stop which looks like a slide with a thumbscrew to lock it to the sail track.
Old 17-05-2017, 15:55   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Pics aren't showing up for me, but... It sounds like the pin which holds the loading gate for the mainsail slugs/cars is missing, thus the "hinge" opens up allowing them to spill out when lowering the main. I'm guessing that there's a threaded hole in the hinge/gate that's missing a knurled thumb screw, which normally would be used to hold the gate on the track closed, but screwing the open side of the hinge to the mast below the mast groove/track.

As to the boom. It may be on a short length of track in order to make it's height adjustability function like a cunningham. Quite a few boats have this. Though it's tough to say without seeing it (pics). Is there a place to attach a tackle to the sail, or some hardware connected to it in this vicinity?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 16:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Is there a place to attach a tackle to the sail, or some hardware connected to it in this vicinity?
There looks to be something within the gooseneck. When I'm out there again tomorrow I'll take a look. Thanks for your other ideas. I think your right - I think that hinge thing should open up a bit but it is corroded shut. I'll play with it tomorrow as well. Thanks! - one of those sail stops should do the trick.
Old 17-05-2017, 16:38   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Please ask a moderator to consolidate this with the other thread on the same topic. Thanks. It'll help us to help you better, as those who post later tend go gain insight from what's already been mentioned. And as a result things move closer to a proper diagnosis & solution.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:45   #11

can't see images,poor wifi. Google "sail track stop" images. These stop the sail slugs from falling out of the breech.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:53   #12

quick fix take a bottle cap stick it in the track put a self taping screw through the center
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Please ask a moderator to consolidate this with the other thread on the same topic. Thanks. It'll help us to help you better, as those who post later tend go gain insight from what's already been mentioned. And as a result things move closer to a proper diagnosis & solution.

I have merged the two threads. Hopefully all the answers are now in the same place.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 19:02   #14

Thanks all for the help. Today I used a $0.25 "sail stop" to stop the sail track. Should work just fine. Will solve the boom issue next. Thanks!

Old 22-05-2017, 14:36   #15

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Hi, none of your pictures of the fitting are visible ... why is that?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, hardware