Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2017, 04:21   #1

Photos of bilges?

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently refitting my 31 foot flybridge cabin cruiser and am trying to bring the bilge, engines etc into the present day. I'm installing new toilet system, replacing the through hills with composite etc. I don't know any other people with this type of boat and the neighbours in the yard all have yachts.

I'd love to see some photos of bilges in any motor boats to see how things are done. Mine is a 1984 boat so anything newer will be an education.

Here's a photo of the project.

Thanks in advance.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0760.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	146347
tronic72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 04:53   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Photos of bilges?

When you say a photo of a bilge, to me that means the lowest point in the hull that accumulates water and sludge.

I could post a photo of a clean, dry, white painted sump but something tells me that's not what you're after.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 04:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
When you say a photo of a bilge, to me that means the lowest point in the hull that accumulates water and sludge.

I could post a photo of a clean, dry, white painted sump but something tells me that's not what you're after.

The area below the floor where the engines and pumps and tanks etc are located. I thought it was the bilge .
Old 27-04-2017, 05:08   #4

Photos of bilges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronic72 View Post
The area below the floor where the engines and pumps and tanks etc are located. I thought it was the bilge .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1057.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	146356

Bilge compartment in a steel hulled ship (looking down).
The bilge (IPA: /bɪldʒ/) is the lowest compartment on a ship or seaplane, below the waterline, where the two sides meet at the keel. The first known use of the word is from 1513.[1]

I think what you're after is specific photos of installations of versions pieces of mechanical equipment installed in your machinery spaces.
Old 27-04-2017, 14:09   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

What ever you end up with they should be dry and clean so smells don't develop, sadly something not very common in yachts.

Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 15:16   #6

Photos of bilges?

Hi Pete,

This is why I made the post. The area below the floor on my boat was a mixture of sludge, rust and oil.

These are a few pictures after a heap of hard work. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5243.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	146378Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5550.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	146379

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5516.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	146377
Old 27-04-2017, 16:00   #7

Ok, you actually wanted bilge pictures.

Gotta say, it looks great! I've just never known anyone to want bilge pictures before, always just some piece of equipment to see how it's supposed to look.
Old 27-04-2017, 16:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Ok, you actually wanted bilge pictures.

Gotta say, it looks great! I've just never known anyone to want bilge pictures before, always just some piece of equipment to see how it's supposed to look.

Hey Monkey,

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. I guess what I'm wanting to see is the workings of the boats in the bilge. The engines, cabling, filters, shafts, stuffing boxes ect. All of the components that make a cruiser "go". Maybe "engine room" would have been better suited although o don't just want to see engines.

My boat is from 1984 and I've discovered things have changed in a big way with the advent of new technology so I'm keen to see how things can be done differently and make improvement where possible.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 27-04-2017, 17:06   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Hi Pete,

This is why I made the post. The area below the floor on my boat was a mixture of sludge, rust and oil.

These are a few pictures after a heap of hard work. Attachment 146378Attachment 146379

Attachment 146377
WOW! That is cleeeean. I see I have a lot of work to do. Every time I think I'm getting close to clean another dirty oily job comes along. That's why I was so happy to take a break from the E/R and start refinishing the salon sole.
I even threw my dirty oily bilge shoes in the trash.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 01:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
WOW! That is cleeeean. I see I have a lot of work to do. Every time I think I'm getting close to clean another dirty oily job comes along. That's why I was so happy to take a break from the E/R and start refinishing the salon sole.

I even threw my dirty oily bilge shoes in the trash.

Hey thanks for thumbs up. Has been a lot of hard work. I purchased the boat on the hard stand with one dead motor and decided while it was there I would do it right. Big learning curve.
Old 28-04-2017, 10:52   #11

You can eat off the floor, ooops, bilge, as the saying goes.

Any plans for drip pans under the machinery ?
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 18:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
You can eat off the floor, ooops, bilge, as the saying goes.

Any plans for drip pans under the machinery ?

Hey thanks for the thumbs up Three Sisters. No I didn't know about drip pans and the fact you told me about them validates the post. Thanks for great idea! I'll look into them. Do you have them on your own boat? If so what brand/type?
Old 29-04-2017, 01:47   #13

Quote:
Hey thanks for the thumbs up Three Sisters. No I didn't know about drip pans and the fact you told me about them validates the post. Thanks for great idea! I'll look into them. Do you have them on your own boat? If so what brand/type?
You're welcome.

Yes. Only (drip pan) used at engine/tranny oil change time because the engine oil filter is top mounted with the bottom up. A full sheet baking pan, something like 24x18 inches. At just over an inch in depth it is not for a continuous stream of fluid. Re-purposed and cheap. Ez to store or make permanent.

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, photo