Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 06:08   #1

grib/weater data into navionics from sat phone

Title really says it all.

I'm looking for a solution that will allow grib and/or weather data to be pulled via satellite phone (iridium most likely) and loaded into Navionics (running on an ipad or android tablet)

Close matches will be considered.

What I'm not interested in is a sat "phone" that isn't a phone (Iridium go, I'm looking at you) or anything that only has a wifi interface. Ideally, I'd like a phone form factor device that cradles to something that has wifi for data.

I'm also interested in user experiences with Navionics integration with the Raymarine C97 wifi MFD.

Thanks in advance...
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:54   #2
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: grib/weater data into navionics from sat phone

As far as I know there is no direct way to get a GRIB file to overlay on a Navionics chart using the Navionics iOS app.

However... there is a way to get them to overlay on Navionics Charts on iOS. My suggestion is to purchase the following.

1. iNavX from the itunes store
2. an XGate subscription from GMN

iNavX is a very complete and popular charting program for iOS and it supports Navionics Charts. Once you have installed your charts into the program you can from within the program request GRIB files. The program uses a number of popular GRIB services which support weather via email request. An email request will be posted with XGate which will allow you to use any satellite phone to retrieve the GRIB file. Once the GRIB file is downloaded you can then XGate will transfer the file back to iNavX.

Note that there are also a number of dedicated weather programs that can download grib files over satellite phones. With an XGate subscription you get for free access to PredictWind offshore (www.predictwind.com). This is a very powerful weather analysis tool that will display grib files graphically. The program is not a charting program ala Navionics or iNavX but it will provide you all the graphical tools required to analyze weather. PredictWind offers a number of different weather models to choose from. The advanced versions of the program will also provide departure planning and weather routing. You can also download high resolution grib files.

You can check out their offering along with xgate at
PredictWind Marine Weather and Wind Forecasting Software | GMN

Take care.

--luis
Old 25-03-2017, 16:02   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: grib/weater data into navionics from sat phone

We do a variation of what you describe in case it is of interest: We download GRIB [and other Wx files, email, etc.] using our Iridium Extreme [9575] phone [or WiFi or Cell data...] using UUplus email service on our laptop computer.

The phone lives in a cradle which keeps it attached to the external antenna, 12 VDC power, dedicated GPS puck (for auto-position reporting and the SOS button since the built-in GPS doesn't work well below deck...) and a laptop computer.

If we want GRIBs on our iOS or MFD devices, we can get them from the laptop over our local WiFi network.

We don't currently use the Navionics app on the iOS devices, but do the same thing you describe with Weather4D 2.0 and SEAiq Open [and OpenCPN, zyGRIB, etc. on the laptop, and on our B&G Zeus chart plotter running Navionics charts...]

If you are interested, many more details can be found on our Satellite Comms page [which we maintain primarily for ourselves, but write so it can be shared as well...]

Best wishes finding what is best for your needs.

Cheers! Bill

Tags
navionics, phone, rib