Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 05:39   #1

Boat: Jaguar catamaran 36 foot,Pontoon boat 9 metres.Panache 22 foot ,Lagoon 42
Electronic navigation what to do.

I have my own 36 foot Jaguar with Raymarine C80 at the helm.My ambition is to up skill myself to charter in all sorts of Wonderful place around the globe.Should I fit a more up to date system at my chart table (I struggle to read at the helm in the bright sunlight).I have navionics on my I pad Pro.What is the most popular system used on charter boats.I have not got myself around the Raymarine system yet.
Sa Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:05   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Electronic navigation what to do.

Hi SA sailer,
Having a chartplotter or the nore modern multi function displays at the helm are a must in my opinion. When sailing on long or short passages thats where we are all the time and to me its imperative you can see at a glance your exact position, speed, depth etc.
I can only comment on the charter boats I have seen here in Australia and in the majority of cases I have seen Raymarine equipment. I swapped out all our older Raymarine gear and changed it to Simrad. One of the big reasons I went to Simrad is its ease of use and the fact that it comes with easy to read manuals. While Raymarine chartplotters normally have the manual installed to read I found it impractical to read and also try and go back to the main screen have a play. Raymarine do have the manuals online which can be downloaded and printed but its way to cumbersome do so and keep a copy on the boat (IMO).
The major players all work and normally operate with NMEA 2000 connection systems. I dont know if its still the way but Raymarine used to only talk to other Raymarine products whereas most other systems can be used with other systems. Most new systems have LED or similar screens which can be viewed in full sunlight. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and what you are happy with and of course cost. Best advise I can give is head off to your next boat show and compare units and ease of use.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 07:30   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35
Re: Electronic navigation what to do.

We recently upgraded our equipment on our Wildcat (so effectively the same boat). We have a 7" Raymarine ES78 at the helm, and an 18.4" Samsung View display at the nav station. It is a very effective solution. The Samsung display is actually portable so we can take it outside with us, or to one of the cabins to watch a movie, etc.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation