Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2016, 10:33   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
7" vs 9" MFD (chartplotter)

Hi All,
Well, the AP failure has lead to upgrading some electronics.
Questions for those who have experience with both 7" and 9" chart plotters:

1. Can you overlay the radar over the chart? (Raymarine E series)
2. If you can overlay - is the screen info still useful at night when Wx is rough?
3. If you can't overlay radar on chart - Is 7" too small for split screen viewing? (Was just introduced to reading glasses last year )
4. Or do you simply toggle between chart/radar screens to get the whole picture?

In a nutshell, I have to decide between a 7" or 9" display that will include both radar and chart pages. We currently have a 7" chart plotter, but do not have radar displayed at the helm.

Sharing your experience, especially in night/fog situations, with this size display is appreciated. Thx. Caleb C
Old 26-03-2016, 13:26   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: 7" vs 9" MFD (chartplotter)

If you envision using split screen function, buy the bigger screen. Ratio counts too.

I always have plenty of challenge using overlays (too much fuzzy info from the radar, mostly) and so I tend not to use overlay when I have it. Possibly with a new gen radar this problem has been solved. I have not used overlay with the 'new' radars yet.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 13:30   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

A female co-worker of mine commented that a couple of inches really does matter (we were specifying computer screens). Buy the bigger screen. Nobody ever complains that his screen is too large.
Old 27-03-2016, 09:02   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

A bigger screen is always more desirable from a usability standpoint but it has side issues like cost, space on the dash, helm, etc. You will need the upgraded rate/heading sensor if you do not have it for radar overlay. I personally very much like using radar overlay when I am near areas where the chart may not be as accurate as you would like. The variations as to where the shore is versus the radar image can be striking. But you have to take pains to get the heading of the radar aligned with the chart.

It also adds more clutter to both the radar and the chartplotter functions so I only use overlay when I need it. Split screens can be helpful but you have only half the size of the display for each function. I do use it sometimes but am more likely to just do overlay or switch back and forth when I need to. Everyone will do it to match their own needs.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 09:16   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
. . . Split screens can be helpful but you have only half the size of the display for each function. I do use it sometimes but am more likely to just do overlay or switch back and forth when I need to. Everyone will do it to match their own needs.
Yeah, me too. My plotters are 8", and for me, at least, that's a bit too small for effective split screens. I had a 10" plotter before at the nav station, and that's about as small as I would go for split screen viewing.

I prefer to use the radar overlay on the chart (standard mode for me offshore), or if I'm doing radar, then I want to do it right and use the whole screen for it.

I would love to have separate chart and radar screens. An 8" or 9" primary screen and 7" secondary would be great for this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 21:44   #6

Thanks for the replies,

We went with the 9" screen and it is a good choice. The radar/chart overlay is great. The split screen for chart/radar is okay.
Old 14-06-2016, 21:49   #7

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb C View Post
Thanks for the replies,

We went with the 9" screen and it is a good choice. The radar/chart overlay is great. The split screen for chart/radar is okay.
You won't regret it. My wife always said mine was too small until I upgraded recently to the 9 inch and now she reackon's it's perfect. Mine is situationed in the gangway door, so if you stand back at the tiller, then now I don't have to squint.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 22:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
A bigger screen is always more desirable from a usability standpoint but it has side issues like cost, space on the dash, helm, etc. You will need the upgraded rate/heading sensor if you do not have it for radar overlay. I personally very much like using radar overlay when I am near areas where the chart may not be as accurate as you would like. The variations as to where the shore is versus the radar image can be striking. But you have to take pains to get the heading of the radar aligned with the chart.

It also adds more clutter to both the radar and the chartplotter functions so I only use overlay when I need it. Split screens can be helpful but you have only half the size of the display for each function. I do use it sometimes but am more likely to just do overlay or switch back and forth when I need to. Everyone will do it to match their own needs.
This post tells the whole story. Great info! - Thx

Tags
chartplotter