Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 08:59   #1

Someone living aboard a power cruiser in Charleston Sc

Good morning... my wife and I are discussing living aboard a power cruiser.. some where in the 40 to 45 ft... range.. Is there anyone out there that we can discuss this opportunity for us.. would love info.. and see what it takes... Thanks
Dale
Amaksuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:29   #2

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Someone living aboard a power cruiser in Charleston Sc

Charleston is a good place to stay. Property tax (6%) may be an issue but if you have homestead exemption you may be OK. We stayed 6 months last summer at Riply's light marina. I think it has a waiting list now. You might need a car to really enjoy the city. I personally like the smaller town marinas but Charleston is OK.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Amaksuka.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 18:08   #4

Boat: Carver 3607 Aft Cabin MY

I have been living aboard a 36' Motor Yacht since August 2015, and have cruised it from the Chesapeake, to Atlantic City, to Wilmington, NC. Most of the cruising has been single-handed.

I purchased the boat in July 2015.

For the most part, it has been an interesting, challenging, and pleasurable time. There were also times of frustration and stress.

I have been docked at Wilmington, NC since late November 2015.

The entire process of looking for, purchasing, outfitting, and operating a boat that is adequate for living aboard and cruising is multifaceted.

Your initial query is a bit vague, so it is hard for me to fashion a meaningful response.

If you have any specific questions about any aspect of the process I outlined above, please post them or send me a PM. I will try to assist you.
poshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 17:57   #5

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaksuka View Post
Good morning... my wife and I are discussing living aboard a power cruiser.. some where in the 40 to 45 ft... range.. Is there anyone out there that we can discuss this opportunity for us.. would love info.. and see what it takes... Thanks
Dale
For three summers about 25 years ago I lived on my 28' express cruiser. I found it comfortable and, since I was alone, had plenty of room. With two people and occasional guests a 40 to 45 would be nice. I have a 43'1997 Wellcraft Portofino with twin 420hp Cat diesels for sale for $97,500. It's in the water on the Hudson River. Photos are available.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 00:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I'm on the West Coast and don't know your local conditions, but have been on the water or near most of my life. I'll never live in a house again. I'm retired, so being near employment isn't an issue.
If you're going to cruise, stay away from gas engines. If money is an issue, try to find a private dock. Next best is a dock that caters to commercial boats. But if you want all the bells and whistles and have money to burn, a yacht harbor may be best for you.
I f you're handy or can learn, you get a lot more boat in wood or steel than glass. But they take more maintenance. But with any boat the more you can do, the cheaper it is. Even if it's only the ability to pick out the mickey mouse boatyards from the good ones.
I find owning my boat less expensive than the last house. Especially taxes. And I don't have to mow grass once a week.
]I was a shipwright, owned a shipyard, built and repaired all types of boats except cement. Also Navy, tugs, commercial fishing, etc. If you want someone to ask you can contact me.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 07:33   #7

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Poshman - in Wilmington NC what is with what looks like to me - manicured marsh area? Have you ever explored it? It is at the Top Sail Island bridge area. I want to explore that area in my kayak.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:46   #8

We purchased a Sea Ray 40MY we are preparing to do some cruising and then living aboard full time once we get it set up to be self sufficient I say with tongue in cheek We are in the process determining our boats energy requirements, calculating our power usage. example how long we use the refrigerator, lights, stove or microwave and anchor light. We are thinking of getting rid of the wet bar refrigerator and installing a ice maker, since we may be anchoring most of the time and will use ice to keep frig cold when not turned on. To start installing all new LED lights. Looking into possible solar panels in the future and extra fuel cells and where to put them. Any thoughts or recommendations are helpful Thanks
SeaRay 40MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Our Neighbor lives in a 45' Hatteras, from a living perspective it could be considered superior to our 38' IP as it has more room and a salon sort of like a cat, above the hull.
But it doesn't move, they talk a lot about going fishing in it, but I believe fuel costs prohibit that. I'd guess its big old Detroit Diesels while being as stone reliable as anything can be still burn maybe 20 gls ea an hour?

I think they can be great houses on the water and of course can be moved occasionally, but a vessel sort of constantly on the move, maybe expensive to do that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, living aboard