Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2015, 04:22   #1

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
10 Basic rules from the vid series "Living Aboard a Boat" for life on Multihulls...

Yesterday I watched a very amusing video on Youtube. It is part of the series "Living Aboard a Boat" (producer: Wet Paint Production).

The story is told by the liveboaters Sophi + Travis (and their dog) on board their S/V Seabird (Downeaster 32 cutter).

I think, it is worth for multihull sailors/owners in-spe too. That's why I have choosen "basic rules" (beside some specifically rules for catamaran or trimaran / proa sailors).

Some basic rules one can learn from I shortly summarized into 10 headlines (Rec.: If you think it needs some other headlines 11, 12.... pls complete it. Mostly we only use selective filters by our senses so no guarantee of completion):
  1. Have the passion for sailing (e.g. by good sailing education) + boats by heart (maybe first proof it by weekend sailing on board of other boats over some years).
  2. Stop thinking "I don't have enough money". All is possible, even with only 3 Thousand dollars
  3. Search, search, search... it will take lots of time + money (e.g. travelling) till your brain and heart says: This is the right boat. Always look for something better till you get what you really need to cover your sailing + life style... so patiency and "stubborness" is important to keep on the track.
  4. Learn from others (important you are within a boat community in the marina where you can learn from and get "cost free" help).
  5. Start small and grow into bigger... upsizing is more simply than downsizing
  6. Take advice from professionals (e.g. survey by a marine engineer as surveyor) to avoid big disappointments. - And here get inspired again and again to overcome your doubts, e.g. read the books of Captain Fatty (Goodlander) you can get inspirations for "living on a boat" Fatty Goodlander, S/V Wild Card - Home !!
  7. Never loose your humour whatever comes. (Rec.: I like this most of this couple in the interview... they laugh a lot !) - It reduces stress, keeps you up in good mood and you dont loose yourself in troubles, keeping focussed on the target.
  8. Keep it simple on the boat (to reduce stress with lots of maintenance and high expenses for steadily repairs).
  9. Keep up other interests, e.g. having pets (cat, dog, birds), reading books, travelling etc. ...
  10. Socialize your land life (e.g. families, land based work) that you dont become an odd lonely person over the years.
Here the vid:
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, living aboard, multihull, rule