Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 09:51   #61

Boat: Beneteau 45
Re: Choosing between Beneteau and Dufour

We recently purchased beneteau 45 - we don't live aboard permanently but have found it very roomy and was the right choice for us.
Dtretur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 12:59   #62

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

For the past year we've done lots of armchair research on Jeanneau, Beneteau, and Dufour in the 37-45' range, roughly 1988-2005 vintage. Also threw in some Bavaria as well.

It shouldn't shock anyone, but it is no absolute to claim one better than the other. Within any manufacturer, different models have different "issues" and even a model can vary by year. Some examples:

The Jeanneau 40 lowers are backed by washers, not plates. Really! Found this on the internet, and apparently Jeanneau makes a proper replacement, but it's not drop in.

The Jeanneau 42 series 1 has a traditional rib structure, while the series 3 has a Beneteau-style bonded shell. I won't argue which is better, just that this model of boat has a significant change in architecture.

The Dufour has the Gibsea line, which is a reduced-cost (and quality) line.

There was an issue with improper cooling in the Beneteau 400 and this model ate motors. The problem was identified long ago, but I wonder how many B400s have motors that are near death.

We are looking for a B430, and looked at a rather beat example. Then we looked at a Beneteau 411, and wife was ecstatic with it's beauty- it had been well maintained. No, no, no I said- look at how cheesy the wood is, look at how thin the glas is, look at the unfinished sides on the floorboards. The two boats may both be Beneteau but they share almost no commonality.

One of my common comparisons of models that have a high probability to be purchased is the Jeanneau 12.5, Dufour 41, and Beneteau 411. Of those the Beneteau is my least favorite, more for ergonomics and aesthetics. But I do believe the Beneteau to be of less build quality. That said, there are lots of 411s and not many Dufour 41, so there is a higher probability of finding a quality B411 at a good price.

So I don't think one can say that one manufacturer is better. Pick a boat and age, and compare it to the competition.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 14:27   #63

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I sailed a Dufour 45 GL 2 years ago in the Med. I liked almost all aspects of the boat. Sailing performance was excellent and the interior well thought out, as was the cockpit and deck layout. Quality seemed good, also, but only time will tell.

Good boat for the money. I think, though that there is little real difference between these two boatbuilders, and so it comes down to personal preference.

Depreciation of value for these boats is very high, though.......
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 18:59   #64
JFN

Boat: Contessa 32
Re: Choosing between beneteau and dufour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
how many members have had one of those exact boats? How many have had both? Why wouldn't the circumstances of ownership be relevant?

Hell YES I would like noobs to be post in a noob section. Why not?
Why not start you own forum for very experienced and knowledgeable sailors - people who admit the limits of their knowledge in an honest question aren't looking for borderline hostility. They are asking because they respect and appreciate the greater experience and knowledge of other sailors. You might take it as a compliment.
JFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:53   #65

Boat: GibSea 472

Bénéteau target a mass market with less expensives boats witha lots of quality equipment, and a very cost pinching construction method and materials. Dufour is a more traditionnal builder, and in my opinion a better quality basic construction.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:08   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

Today they are almost identical boats. Along with Bavarias, Jeanneaus and the rest of the flock.

We are splitting a hair trying to find if any is better. Simply what better meets your specific use / preferences is better for you. Also what meets you eye. We do not buy boats just for their apparent quality. Looks and ergonomy count to many owners above quality of materials, design and workmanship.

A quality toilet seat does add to the overall quality of a boat. Even if you do not want to agree, this is still a fact.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:28   #67

Boat: 39 Feet French!

Hi!

Two thoughts about it

I have investigated the grand large series (382/460) at the last BOOT in Duesseldorf. A friend of mine is working for a company distributing Dufour for some time. They kicked them out for several reasons. On reason was a high number of customer comlaints.
As I investigated the boat I was disapointed from the interieur quality. The complete boat was creaky and the gap dimensions were huge. That says nothing about the laminate quality but for us this was out of question. Also the helms position was some kind of squashed into the last centimeter with, for me with 1.8 meter, was not ergonomic at all seating and standing. But they have an outdoor kitchen with bbq grill ;-)

So they (Distributor) changed Dufour against Benneteau. To understand the actual build quality I recoomend this cruise report two friends did with a First 30. Sailing the Baltic Sea: To Bornholm |

Summarized, real bad build quality if it comes to the interior. Stairs crashing down. Table was screwed with barbie screws also crashed down. But read it :-)
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:32   #68

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

A quality toilet seat does add to the overall quality of a boat. Even if you do not want to agree, this is still a fact..
This had me roaring with laughter. Too true. Same applies to houses too! Nobody wants, during such an exposed/vulnerable moment, to be interfacing with a flexible thin piece of plastic!

Sent from mTalk
Old 09-10-2017, 04:04   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Not sure about Dufour, but I feel Bene’s have inadequate handholds.

And yes it pisses me off when I run a charter on a boat such as Bene or FP and the flipping toilet seat comes loose from the head. Like they couldn’t spring for self locking nuts??
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:17   #70

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Yet another thread about someone who probably has no experience whatsoever...a guess... and is looking to buy a fairly large boat.

Admittedly people wanting to purchase something like a car or a boat or a place for personal use may not have direct experience with all the models available and seek some "reviews" of those who have experience. I suppose one could research the products online as there are user reviews about almost every product out there. Further there are professional test reviews of many products including comparisons to similar products on the market.

It seems to me... but I could be wrong and often am... that if you have some experience with the product class you are looking for... your own experience will, should inform your buying decisions first and foremost.

So... when someone comes on to a forum such as this... they need to at the very least, when asking opinions/advice... provide a fair amount of background. This post does none of that. I personally consider it little more than spam.
This reply seems rather harsh to me. We don't know his sailing experience from his post, but he asked a legitimate question. Do we really want to discourage people from posting here because we suspect they're "in over their heads?" Maybe the guy is well-heeled and can afford to hire a captain to teach him, or even to serve as skipper. He's talking boats and trying to match one to a mission, and you're talking experience? Just MHO.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 21:03   #71

Quote:
Yet another thread about someone who probably has no experience whatsoever...a guess... and is looking to buy a fairly large boat.

Admittedly people wanting to purchase something like a car or a boat or a place for personal use may not have direct experience with all the models available and seek some "reviews" of those who have experience. I suppose one could research the products online as there are user reviews about almost every product out there. Further there are professional test reviews of many products including comparisons to similar products on the market.

It seems to me... but I could be wrong and often am... that if you have some experience with the product class you are looking for... your own experience will, should inform your buying decisions first and foremost.

So... when someone comes on to a forum such as this... they need to at the very least, when asking opinions/advice... provide a fair amount of background. This post does none of that. I personally consider it little more than spam.
Someones got sand in their vag
t3c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 08:47   #72

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

The new Dufours I've been on had horribly ugly interiors with very pronounce wood grain all oriented sideways throughout the boat!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 04:41   #73

Boat: 39 Feet French!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The new Dufours I've been on had horribly ugly interiors with very pronounce wood grain all oriented sideways throughout the boat!
Confirm!

And, the major failure rate on delivery (in 2016-2017) was > 70%

Major failure means, wrong rigg mounted (38 foot rigg on 42 foot boat), tubes for outlets not mounted :-) and other major failures you won´t expect

Don´t ask for the after sales. That does not exist from a vendors side and the distributors are overwhelmed (commercial and timely).
Linguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:47   #74

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguini View Post
Confirm!

And, the major failure rate on delivery (in 2016-2017) was > 70%

What is the source of your information?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 13:25   #75

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Where is it stated that wood grain cannot be orientated sideways? I find the interiors in the new Dufour Performance series quite nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguini View Post
Confirm!
Major failure means, wrong rigg mounted (38 foot rigg on 42 foot boat), tubes for outlets not mounted :-) and other major failures you won´t expect
I think that would be mostly the fault of whoever takes care of the final prep and splash. The rig isn't put on the boat at the factory...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, Dufour, dufour