Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 09:24   #1

Crew Wanted/Available Checklist

Having just returned from a crewing opportunity, I feel the need to compile a thorough and useful checklist to be used when applying or accepting a crew position on a sailing vessel.
I've used a basic checklist in the past but this time, out of desperation to sail, I accepted the opportunity with few questions and of those asked, most were either left unanswered, were incomplete, or simply, were not truthful. Shame on me, all the "Red Flags" were raised, my error, no one else to blame.
I'm certain many of you, who have brought crew aboard, have experienced similar scenarios but my goal here is to compile a checklist that will work for all.
All of your input will be appreciated. Steve
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:29   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Crew Wanted/Available Checklist

We take crew, usually from our sailing club in Miami but 1 in 4 are from the Internet. This is what we tell them:

A well equipped and well maintained 'blue-water-boat with all the best safety equipment, liferaft, radar, AIS, multiple chartploter systems.

My wife and I are very experienced ( conbined 80,00 blue water miles) with professional qualifications.

We offer references from responsible people with extensive sea time who have sailed with us.

The only problems we have had with crew has been emotional instability. We now choose crew with a documented job history who are not disatisfied with their life and think that 20-30 days at sea will improve things for them.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 10:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew Wanted/Available Checklist

Your going on someone elses boat.. for free..
You got to sail..
Your still alive..
Theres more..???
Why did you not get off at the first port you came to..???

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 11:55   #4

Boat: Pearson 367

You mean like this?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ew-105914.html

It's actually a sticky post in the crew section.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 14:09   #5

Boatman, I didn't go into detail regarding this vessel and owner/skipper. Basically, I and another flew to Mexico with good intentions, saw and went aboard the vessel and opted not to sail her. She reeked of diesel fuel and human waste, was in total disarray, and had a forest growing on her hull. There's more but I'd just as soon leave that for another day. I just felt she needed several weeks, minimum, of good work just to make her seaworthy, IMHO! This was not a "free" trip but I consider this a very good learning experience that I would not want anyone else have to go through. Again, I knew there would be those who would view this differently, just asking for a nice, thorough checklist that may help others, along with myself.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 04:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crew Wanted/Available Checklist

Bumma.. my apologies..
I got the impression that you had done the trip from your post.. not that you'd not even started..
Really there is nothing much you can do to protect yourself from owners ******** in cases like this.. old photos can be used for misinformation.
Had a boat like this which I was hired to move from Cork to SE. Spain.. was told she was ready to go but when I arrived I found her still at the mooring she'd been on for over 2yrs prior to being bought.
Took over a week to get her habitable.. her dodgy fuel system failed so pulled into Falmouth where rather than do it myself threw the job Atolls way.. and he had the transport and local knowledge..
Got the boat to its destination but it was a bit of a nightmare with 2 crew who were friends of the owner and knew zero about sailing and hid in bad weather.. basically a solo delivery.
But I was getting paid and it was pre pension days when I could not afford to be choosy.. so I chose to look on it as a challenge.
Hope you have better luck next time..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 05:43   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Yeah, Boatie, been there, done that!! In fact just finished a 45yr old one with 2 owner's friends as crew...you know the rest of the story!! Will we ever learn, I ask myself!!!
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 08:29   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

To the OP sit and ask what is important to you as crew. But be careful not to make it an interrogation.

My checklist continues to evolve. Although I have moved boats with less technology on board than the Mayflower- I like to know that before hand.

That said- following is a synopsis of a pre-bid interview:

Does the boat have a chart plotter? YES, Autopilot? YES. VHF? YES. Depth gauge? YES

Drove 5+ hours to the boat. Chart plotter has 10 year old chip. Autopilot did not work. Depth gauge did not work. VHF passed dockside radio test. But died 3 hours into delivery.

Bottom line is some owners will misrepresent material facts. So develop a checklist that is basic- keep in mind you are crew- and realize that “stuff” will happen.

As crew I would worry more about the captain than the vessel. A good captain/skipper can deliver a marginal but seaworthy boat without issue. A marginal captain/skipper can make delivering a good boat a nightmare.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crew wanted, wanted