Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 04:04   #1

Australian Epoxy Product Comparison

Hi All,

Just looking at products for doing quick repairs to the boat. The construction is plywood and epoxy so I want to seal up any old drill holes etc to avoid moisture getting into the ply. I also want to layer some holes with epoxy that I intend to drill and place screws into.

What's your thoughts on this product:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-...putty_p1230080

Thanks!
Lambada30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 20:31   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Australian Epoxy Product Comparison

Selleys has a good name so I'd be confident of their products. But is it the right product? Maybe OK for filling holes but when you say:

I also want to layer some holes with epoxy that I intend to drill and place screws into.

I'm not sure what you mean but if the screws are to hold anything substantial I'd rather see some epoxy/fiberglass cloth laid over the area where you plan to drill holes for the screws.

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 21:54   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

If you don't want to mix your own epoxy putty (i.e. resin, hardener, filler etc), then I like Epifill https://www.whitworths.com.au/pnt-ep...t-100g?q=60129
Above and below waterline and can be drilled and tapped etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:15   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Try Trojan fibreglass online (no affiliation, just a happy customer)

https://trojanfibreglass.com.au/

Great products, imho. They are more than happy to help with technical inquiries and your wallet will probably thank you, too.

You can buy laminating epoxy and some thickening agents from them to make just about any viscosity glue for a variety of applications. They also sell fibreglass and carbon fibre.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:15   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Looks like a good product and for that price I will probably lay in a couple of tubes myself.

I used kneed-it a couple of times on my previous steel boat to temporarily fill holes and found it gave excellent results. If I was using it on wood or any other porous substrate I would tend to apply a good coat of thin epoxy sealer first then apply the Kneed-it whilst the sealer was still tacky.

You can pretty well screw into any set epoxy once it goes hard and I have screwed greased screws into unset epoxy and have had good results in later getting them out. I have never tried it but you might get better results with one of the metallic filler type repair epoxy products such as Liquid Steel if you wanted high pull out of the screws.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 02:50   #6

Thanks for your advice guys! I think I'll buy the putty and some Epifill from Whitworths!
Lambada30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 03:18   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

This is relevant to your problem?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...xy-143046.html

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, epoxy