Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 06:55   #1

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
More travelling liveaboards a good thing?

Of course the answer is a matter of perspective. What is your perspective?

There are a few factors that point to increasing numbers of liveaboards:

1) More sailboats are built every year. Sailboats are rarely torn apart for parts. Older ones may be given away of course. There are plenty of people that are happy to take on the project of rehabbing an old sailboat. More sailboats equals more sailors.

2)Global populations are exploding.

3) Populations are increasingly transient. Sailing around without a home is more viable for those with no need to hover around a certain location.

4) Many modern jobs lend themselves to a traveling lifestyle. We may no longer need to ride a desk from 8 to 5.

5) Solar panels are cheap now. Making your own power is a lot more manageable than it used to be.

6) Making freshwater from saltwater didn't even used to be possible without the slow, energy intensive process of distillation. Now we have reverse osmosis that operates around 800 psi. Some specialized units can make a lot of perfect freshwater out of saltwater. These units remove everything undesirable while making freshwater.

7) More internet in more places.

8) A reality TV show on liveaboards is simply a matter of time. When money can be made, an American will try it. Other nations have many successful entrepreneurs...of course.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 07:19   #2

Re: More travelling liveaboards a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Of course the answer is a matter of perspective. What is your perspective?

There are a few factors that point to increasing numbers of liveaboards:

1) More sailboats are built every year. Sailboats are rarely torn apart for parts. Older ones may be given away of course. There are plenty of people that are happy to take on the project of rehabbing an old sailboat. More sailboats equals more sailors.

2)Global populations are exploding.

3) Populations are increasingly transient. Sailing around without a home is more viable for those with no need to hover around a certain location.

4) Many modern jobs lend themselves to a traveling lifestyle. We may no longer need to ride a desk from 8 to 5.

5) Solar panels are cheap now. Making your own power is a lot more manageable than it used to be.

6) Making freshwater from saltwater didn't even used to be possible without the slow, energy intensive process of distillation. Now we have reverse osmosis that operates around 800 psi. Some specialized units can make a lot of perfect freshwater out of saltwater. These units remove everything undesirable while making freshwater.

7) More internet in more places.

8) A reality TV show on liveaboards is simply a matter of time. When money can be made, an American will try it. Other nations have many successful entrepreneurs...of course.
Why are posting a new thread? You should just post this question in your "YouTube Sailing Home Movies Stars" thread.

To answer your question, in my opinion:

1) It's GOOD to take other peoples' money to retire in the tropics.
2) It's a BIT STUPID to give away your money to other people in the tropics.
3) Anything else, who cares?

That's about it.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 07:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Why are posting a new thread? You should just post this question in your "YouTube Sailing Home Movies Stars" thread.

To answer your question, in my opinion:

1) It's GOOD to take other peoples' money to retire in the tropics.
2) It's a BIT STUPID to give away your money to other people in the tropics.
3) Anything else, who cares?

That's about it.
Nothing like trying to make a decent thread then.............along comes somebody to "do their business" on it. Thanks a lot guy.
Old 15-04-2017, 07:54   #4

"3) Populations are increasingly transient. Sailing around without a home is more viable for those with no need to hover around a certain location."

Why can a boat not be a home?
If you look up "home" in a dictionary it doesn't say a land based structure anywhere in the definition.
Some used to say home is where you hang your hat, I say home is where you drop your anchor.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:01   #5

Boat: J/42

A few key things have changed since since the days when I was young and living in crappy apartments and should have been living on a boat.

Books and music now take up no space or weight at all.

Computers not only run on batteries and take almost no space, but they also replace almost every other gadget you can think of.

Wireless communication is a real thing now.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:15   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Nothing like trying to make a decent thread then.............along comes somebody to "do their business" on it. Thanks a lot guy.
You are new so I'll point there is an Ignore feature on the site. Add people then be strong and not chose to read their crap anyway.
Old 15-04-2017, 08:26   #7

The more people living and cruising on boats, the better for the rest of us cruising on boat, IMHO. People providing boat services want to make money. They don't do it for fun. The more people they can sell their services to, the more of these services there will be.

Oh, and if you're new to the internet, it's best to ignore the people who come on with nothing to offer, trying to pick a fight, or just trying to disrupt a thread. The internet has a name for them. Trolls. Just be thankful you are only encountering them on the internet. They are even more miserable and annoying in person.
Old 15-04-2017, 10:01   #8

Boat: J/42

On the other hand:

Working waterfronts have been converted to rows of high-priced condos occupied by hyper-entitled one percenters who have made it illegal to anchor just about anywhere near work.

Sleepy island nations are deciding to make a growth industry out of gouging rich yotties - the non-rich need not apply.

And all those hyper-entitled kids who think that someone else is going to pay for their permanent vacation? Unless Gandma left them a nice trust fund, it just ain't gonna happen.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 12:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Of course the answer is a matter of perspective. What is your perspective? .....................
These are interesting thoughts about the dynamics of the "cruisers" population. It was surprising to me that you used the term "traveling liveaboards" as, by the title of this forum, we have commonly referred to these people as cruisers.

Although, I expect that there are a couple of differences with the population of "travelling liveaboards" that you are considering. My guess is that you are speaking of cruisers that are younger than the average cruisers today and also those that are aboard full time and employed full time.

I always found it interesting that the population of those living aboard sailboats in the US, from the time I bought my first live aboard boat in 1971 until recently, were mostly near my own age. There was a wave of young people moving aboard boats in the 1970's as well as a TV series called "Westwind" about a family living aboard. Many who did not take to the life on the water then, did so when they retired and the live aboard population grew again with this same "baby boomer" population.

Over the last decade I have seen a change in the liveaboard/cruiser population where now they are becoming younger again. Some of this may be related to the sources of energy, water and employment aboard that you have listed.

However, the opportunity for shore access from anchored vessels, the availability of inexpensive live aboard slips, public docks, and less exclusive waterfront areas seems to be diminishing. .
Old 15-04-2017, 12:30   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

To me, it is bad news.

To those who love a lot of company, noise, pollution and congestion, it is good news.

It is only a problem where berthing and food are cheap. Sail into any expensive marina and there will be very few liveaboards and you will have a hell of comfort with the facilities clean and abundant and basically all of it to just yourselves.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 13:03   #11

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
To me, it is bad news.

To those who love a lot of company, noise, pollution and congestion, it is good news.

It is only a problem where berthing and food are cheap. Sail into any expensive marina and there will be very few liveaboards and you will have a hell of comfort with the facilities clean and abundant and basically all of it to just yourselves.

Cheers,
b.
I think it interesting to examine the changing demographic of cruising sailors. There are a lot of negatives that seem to correlate with the negatives of overall population growth. In that sense I can agree with your perspective.

I remember when pirates used to lurk near the sea lanes to prey upon unsuspecting vessels. Now they're just buy waterfront property and turn it in to shipyards, marinas and condos. But there is a large segment of the cruising community that are not well-heeled and well retired. They are popping up in anchor fields on all types of boats and rely on skiffs, dingys and bicycles for access to cheap provisions and employment.

I'm currently in Bay St. Louis Marina waiting for all the grass islands, trees and flotsam to clear out of Southern Louisiana waterways so I can proceed to Galveston Bay.

I was lucky. I got here before they completely sold out. Two-thirds of the marina is filled with expensive motor yachts and high-end sailboats. The rest is an odd mixture. Although many are Cruisers, only a small percentage are liveaboard individuals or families. But that seems to be changing.
Old 15-04-2017, 13:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You are new so I'll point there is an Ignore feature on the site. Add people then be strong and not chose to read their crap anyway.
Yes....sometimes the Ignore feature is quite valuable. I used it so much at s*****t that many of the more active monsters, I mean posters, wound up on it.

This board, so far, has a couple obnoxious characters but no real monsters. So far.

Back to the thread now. Solar and freshwater water makers by themselves make being a cruiser a whole lot more attractive. Plus the internet helps keep one connected I would think.

I don't get the people who want to cruise then feel a need to tie up to a slip. To me, that is like backpacking while spending nights at a motel.

On the other hand, modern yachts are not built as sturdily as they used to be. They also have a lot of technology that can, and does, malfunction. Plus their costs started skyrocketing sometime in the 80's. I see it all as a boon to those willing to do the work to get one of the older classic bluewater fiberglass boats worthy again. Thinking late 60's to early 80's. While I love the look of wood, fiberglass is generally a better material for a boat.

If one hardly ever needs a slip, why not sail with an old 50+ foot schooner? Assuming that one can do the maintenance that is. That may rule out a lot.

Keep in mind that while I may own three boats, I am almost as green as grass with sailboats. A little patience is always appreciated.
Old 15-04-2017, 14:00   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Softdown, why not use the "report post" button if you don't like a post?* Then let the moderators deal with the poster: it's a job they volunteer for.

There are a wide variety of personalities on this board, and many of them are proud men who find it difficult to accept that someone has a different opinion and/or life stance.

Go sailing more, argue less.

Ann

*In case you weren't aware, it is the little white triangle with a red outline and an "!" in its center, at the lower left under your avatar.
Old 15-04-2017, 16:57   #14

Boat: Cornado 25

Maybe... Maybe not.

Unable to navigate without chart plotter and full electronics suite. No plans or clues what to do if it fails (?). Regards USCG and other SAR groups as triple A road service. Persists in "wearing a Rolex on MLK" and therefor encouraging increase in boardings and theft. Renews the phrase "Ugly American" Persists in thought that if I have the money to buy my floating condo, I am qualified to operate it and inflict my lack of practical knowledge on the world at large.

End Rant... I have been doing this since 1973 and have watched many changes, not all for the best. (You kids get off my lawn). I know some good sailors/cruisers out there, some of 'em pretty young. But in general, maybe 10% of the folks I meet have a clue what the hell is going on. The others are dead weight.

Moi, I don't know nuthin' I didn't see nuthin' I aint even from around here.
Old 15-04-2017, 17:09   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

Things change. Technology and money have made the dream more obtainable for many. Like all things there is good and bad that comes with more people cruising. I often find that some older cruisers are stuck in their ways and dont like the changes and think modern technology is not so good or as seaman like as it should be, but my reality is " im enjoying it" and more people doing it aren't creating me a real problem. I like modern boats, modern technology and social decent people, alls good in the cruising world.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard