Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 10:43   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Abacos amenities

Hi all: friends would like to bareboat in the Abacos. I've chartered several times in the BVI, and one of the things I like about it is that I can satisfy my sailing urge by zig-zagging around, sailing 20-40 nm each day, but still dinghy in to shore every evening for drinks and a cooked (by someone else!) meal. I'm wondering what the Abacos are like in this respect. The one thing I really don't care for is sailing in and out of the same harbor each day for a week (sailing in circles, I call it), so I'd like to be able to mix it up on some scale.

Thanks for your input. Best, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:49   #2

Re: Abacos amenities

Sea of Abaco is quite protected and from Marsh Harbour most places are within 1/2 day sail or less away. Lots of places to see and do from Green Turtle in the North to Little Harbour and Pete's pub/galley in the south.
Lots of place to anchor, exception is Man O War and Hope Town where moorings are the way to go.
You also have great options to find quiet places (Green Turtle/Man o War) or party Central (Nippers on Great Guana or Treasure Cay).
Marsh has some good amenities as well, plus a great place to provision. Jib room is great for their BBQs on Wed and Sat nights for example.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:04   #3

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

We fell in love with the Abacos, personally I liked it much better than the BVI's. It wasn't nearly as crowded when we went and there are definitely plenty of places to sail to so no worried about sailing in circles and returning to the same anchorage/mooring.

There's plenty of shallow water so it gives you one additional thing to focus on.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 14:06   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

The great thing about the Abacos, is you can choose, even last minute to stay at either a quaint town or resort or anchor off an uninhabited island. I personally like to get up north of the Whale Cay, visit Green Turtle Cay, walk the trails and beach on Manjack often anchoring at Powell and No Name as well.

Some places to get a meal cooked by someone else:

Pete's Place, Little Harbor.
Hope Town - a few places. I like Captain Jack's
Man O' War - They'll make you a meal but won't bring you drinks
Lynyard Cay
Marsh Harbour
Great Guanna (Settlement, Nippers, etc.)
Treasure Cay
Green Turtle Cay. (Many options)

That said, there are some wonderful, uninhabited islands, where you can go to shore and cook your own meal over a fire if you want, or on the boat, enjoying the solitude.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 15:08   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

in the Abacos, there are a lot of places to stop that are close together, I bet pretty much all charter boats follow the same routes to the "sights" as they all show up Saturday to go to Nippers
Old 09-06-2017, 15:22   #6

Another option for a charter is Navtours in the Exumas. Pickup boat in Emerald Bay on Great Exuma and then run the chain north and drop off in Palm Cay on New Providence (near Nassau). Bit quieter than Abacos but amazing water, beaches. Also the Land and Sea Park. Some great little eateries as well on Great Guana, Little Farmers, Black Point, Stanial Cay, Highborne Cay.
Need bit better skills than in Abacos and able to monitor weather but this island group is amazing.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:16   #7

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Much thanks to everyone for the info so far! I have a much better idea now and I appreciate the input. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, men