Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:12   #1

New York to C&D canal

I live on lower Chesapeake and am looking at boats in NJ and NY. How difficult is the run from NYC south to C&D canal? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
venture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:15   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: New York to C&D canal

Not difficult at all. Zip down the coast to cape may. Up Delaware bay and into the C&D. If your mast can get through the cape may canal about 54 feet its even easier.

Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:22   #3

Mast height 58'. What does that change?

Old 12-05-2015, 11:28   #4

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by venture1 View Post
Mast height 58'. What does that change?

All that means is you stay outside and round Cape May without using the canal. It isn't really difficult but you do stay in very close to shore as you round the actual cape itself. (about .20 to .24 miles out.)
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:24   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

There are two bridges crossing the Cape May canal--55' height.

The trip is not a hard one, but the real question should be your experience. If you have sailed offshore it is an easy run. You can sail overnight, but many people pull in at one of the Jersey ports on the way. You can get to Atlantic City in one day, but it is a long one and you want to leave before first light from Sandy Hook. From Atlantic City to Cape May is a half day. Depending on the tide, you could skip Cape May and run for the C&D Canal. That would be a stretch, really. I'd spend a day or two in cape May (fun; pretty) and time a run up the Delaware Bay with a morning incoming tide. You'll get a current boost and ff your boat can hold 6 knots, you can get through the C&D that day and to the Bohemia or Sassafras Rivers in daylight. I usually anchor in the Sassafras River, but Chesapeake City in the C&D is good. From the Sassafras to Annapolis is a half day; two hours longer if departing from Chesapeake City.

If you have no experience or little, get an experienced friend to go along and make it a learning experience. It is fun albeit a bit boring along the Jersey shore and the Delaware.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:38   #6

Thanks Moody

Old 13-05-2015, 09:11   #7

Boat: Swan 48

Like Jethro Tull says (well, Ian Anderson) "Nothing Is Easy" .... dozens of trips here, and Cape May is the only good spot to pull in - forget Atlantic City, it can be a problem; strong tides, depth, semi-confusing inner entrance.
Almost every time I've done the Block Island, or Sandy Hook to C&D canal, the weather has been *****. It seems the further offshore I am the better. Shipping traffic is less congested and shoreline lights are less of an issue.
Never has the trip up or down Delaware Bay been pleasant, ever.
Make sure your motor is in tip top shape.
On the plus side - as you know, the upper Chesapeake is beautiful and the free docking at Chesapeake City on the C&D Canal is really nice.
Take two crew with you.
Good Luck !
scottmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:54   #8

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

Depends on your experience as Moody46 CC says.

If you buy in NJ and don't have to deal with the East River, it's pretty easy. From LIS, you'll have to transit (motor) down the East River which can be a bit tricky, but very interesting. Don't let it scare you, but do be meticulous about calculating the tides and currents. Hell Gate can be great fun if you're running with the current (11+ knots SOG at the height of the current) and impossible if you are not. The same with Delaware Bay. You must calculate the tides right or you'll be standing still against the current at best. The offshore passage in good weather is otherwise unremarkable, except that Atlantic City can be seen from many many miles away at night.

Best route is LIS to either City Island or Manhasset Bay to wait for the tide in the East River. Transit down the East River and anchor in Sandy Hook (or NY/NJ marinas if you want to visit the city). Sandy Hook to Cape May, and anchor in Cape May to time the tides for the Delaware. Nice lobster house in Cape May. Then motor up the Delaware with the big boys and through the Canal. Nice stop is Schaefer's Canal House or the Bayard House. Then take the opportunity to cruise down the Chesapeake, stopping in St. Michael's/Oxford, Annapolis, etc.

But if you live on the lower Chesapeake and want to experience a really nice offshore passage, why not sail out from Montauk or Sandy Hook to Hampton Roads, Virginia? No motoring that way. Depends on how far down you are and whether you get a weather window.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 12:48   #9

The NJ ICW is a bit iffy (particularly if you are deep draft or have mast) but you can get into a few ports if you want to break up the trip.

May sure to check the tidal current on the Delaware bay to time your trip and make sure the wind isn't against the tide but otherwise, no problem.

People get in trouble because they have a boat that doesn't run right or they aren't willing to wait for weather windows.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york