Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 06:30   #31
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: The Gemini 105

We have similar goals in lightening up where it's safely and economically possible. one example that was an easy gain was to junk the two large main double mattresses and go with high-end air mattresses with memory foam tops. we figure we saved near a hundred pounds.

These things are as comfortable as any mattress I have ever slept on, and tunable. We chose Aero-Bed brand but there are others. They're easy to fold up and put away if you need the bunk as a work bench or for storage. And you know you want a new mattress, anyhow. Perfect justification.

As a bonus, the new ones are actually positive flotation as well. A big fully inflated air bag in each stateroom.

And no, we are not in any way in the air mattress business.
Old 25-07-2012, 19:01   #32

Can anyone comment on the Gemini's hard dodger setup?

I've never found anyone who mentioned it being a negative in any threads, but it seemed to me that while it might be nice for poor weather sailing, I feel like it'd isolate you from the experience a bit. (I see a lot of photos of people having to look out around the corner, which seems like it would get annoying) Not to mention the fact that for hot weather, I don't see you getting much of a breeze.

This always seemed like the biggest negative of the Gem to me, but since nobody mentioned it, maybe it's not a big deal. (do the dodger windows open or something?)
chromenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 19:37   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromenomad View Post

I've never found anyone who mentioned it being a negative in any threads, but it seemed to me that while it might be nice for poor weather sailing, I feel like it'd isolate you from the experience a bit. (I see a lot of photos of people having to look out around the corner, which seems like it would get annoying) Not to mention the fact that for hot weather, I don't see you getting much of a breeze.

Don't underestimate the value of a hard top in the sun. Foam keeps out a lot more heat than canvas.

This always seemed like the biggest negative of the Gem to me, but since nobody mentioned it, maybe it's not a big deal. (do the dodger windows open or something?)
It's amazing the extent to which people will labor to defend what they bought. I see a lot in the Gemini to like, though I did not buy one, in part because...

You can't see beans around the old 105 MC hard top. It is the primary reason I didn't buy one. There's just no enjoyment, for me, on boats with poor visability. I sail to be out there and to see. The new 105s have a better design (the 105 MCs had a patch work design, with a big hard top over a small hard top) but still signifigant limitation. However, this doesn't bother everyone.

Every boat has compromizes you can pick apart. Do the owners find it reliable? Can you see yourself being happy a the wheel? Will it do what you really need? have you driven one? Those are the key questions.
Old 25-07-2012, 20:51   #34

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

These are piccys looking out the front window of the Gemini,

Whether you can see enough or not you can make up your own mind,

I had no problems seeing out the front windows,

The blue plastic tarp was a heat shield, it kept the interior very cool,
It was a temporary thing, Trial and error, I will make up a proper one now I know it works,
I will also make it with a tube out of the middle of it to catch water as well,

Piccys taken in the Coral Sea,

Cheers,
Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gemini, looking out the front window..jpg
Views:	359
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	43978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gemini, looking out the front window.. 2 jpg.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	43979  

Name:	Gemini looking out the front window,.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	43980  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 21:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromenomad View Post

The windows in the Dodger do open, I only had mine open the thickness of the thong I had to hold it up, That was enough to keep a nice draught blowing through, 30 + Celcius, Most days,

A tarp across the decks also keep it cool as well,
The isenglass covers are in sections, You can unzip the ones you want to manage the breeze you desire, Works very well, They roll up out of the way,

I lived on my Gemini continously for nearly 3 months, +35 down to +15 Celcius,

I prefer the Hard dodger, as it is some thing solid to hang onto when the weather gets a bit rough,

The only time you need to shut the hatches is when its raining or your nose into the wind and waves, The spray does come over the bows and into the forward facing hatches, = Wet bed, Damn it, Lesson learnt, Hahahahaha.
Old 26-07-2012, 05:53   #36

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

We have the visor option which is a nice design (where the blue tarp is on Brian's boat). Keeps the boat cooler and keeps rain off the windshield somewhat. A trick I use in heavier rain/reduced visibility is to pop my head up through the dodger with the helm dodger window unlatched, using my head to open it (just don't go too far if the wind is whipping!). I keep a large cooler as a foot rest in front of the helm seat anyway, and use that to stand on.

We learned the hard way to always close the forward hatches while underway, or at least the forward stateroom hatch...even in protected waters on a nice day we've had boat wakes wash up onto the foredeck...and then there was the time our sun shower bag got loose from its mooring near the maststep and fell through the hatch, bursting on the bed. What fun!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 10:58   #37
Lt.

Now, to add to the discusion another question. Are there any real structural issues? I've hear people say that 105s have weak hulls that crack after a while.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 11:56   #38

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

If you don't block the hull correctly the hull may deform and cause some of the interior to crack...i've seen this happen in the rear bulkheads. I have not heard of an actual hull cracking (well, except ones that have hit a reef). Don't get "cracked hulls" confused with cracked gel coat...the gelcoat IS a problem with many a Gemini, but that's (mostly) cosmetic and annoying.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 12:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Now, to add to the discusion another question. Are there any real structural issues? I've hear people say that 105s have weak hulls that crack after a while.

My hulls cracked, and I mean wide open,

Big holes in the bottom of both hulls, But that was caused by sitting on rocks and getting pounded by 2 metre waves on the beach,

The rest of the boat is totally undamaged,
Two new hulls are currently being installed, and it should be back in the water fully surveyed in the next couple of months,

Its been held up by the cold weather we are having here.

Nothing structural is wrong with it,
It has a few very small cracks in the fibreglass here and there, But you get that with any fibreglass boat, Or fibreglass anything,
All Fibreglass crazes over time,
Old 26-07-2012, 13:56   #40
Lt.

Oh, ok. So why does the gel coat have problems on the Gemini, and not other cats or boats in general?
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 19:13   #41

The fiberglass is not vacuum bagged like the better cats. The trimaran from PCI had vacuum bagged amahs but not the main hull.
blighhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 23:13   #42

Hi Guys
Hope you don't mind me tagging onto this post but so many good points have been covered. We like many don't have a limitless pot of money so compromises often are the answer. I would like to get a bigger and tougher boat than the gemini with two engines, but without spending money I don't have or having nothing left in reserve for those snags that will need to be sorted out. I think we could live with the size and just adapt accordingly.
On another point I would like a boat that could dry out completely and sit on a beach or on the mud of an estuary, could any Gemini owners tell me if this is possible with this boat. Thank you for any replies.
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 00:44   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Two new hulls are currently being installed
Really!!?? As in two complete new hulls?
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 01:42   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Really!!?? As in two complete new hulls?
Not complete Hulls, About 2.5 feet wide by about 15 feet long , Its just the bottoms of the hulls, where the rocks punched holes in them,

Its mainly the flat parts on the bottoms,

I put piccys up of the damage some where on here,
Old 27-07-2012, 01:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
Hi Guys
Hope you don't mind me tagging onto this post but so many good points have been covered. We like many don't have a limitless pot of money so compromises often are the answer. I would like to get a bigger and tougher boat than the gemini with two engines, but without spending money I don't have or having nothing left in reserve for those snags that will need to be sorted out. I think we could live with the size and just adapt accordingly.
On another point I would like a boat that could dry out completely and sit on a beach or on the mud of an estuary, could any Gemini owners tell me if this is possible with this boat. Thank you for any replies.
You just have to carefull with your thru hulls, Depth sounder Etc, If you push one of those out, you have a 3 inch hole in the bottom of your boat,
Make Sure your sitting on flat sand only,

You dont want to be banging down on the beach in waves,, Just sit there while the tide goes out smoothly, and sits you down slowly and gently,

I also intend moving my thru hulls to the back where they wont be affected by sitting on a beach,
Its easy for me as I will have new hulls with out thru hulls to worry about,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My Gemini Maroochy River 2011.jpg
Views:	2023
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	44032  

Tags
gemini, gemini 105