Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 19:06   #1

Gemini Hull Construction

I have read the larger Catamarans (Lagoon, Leopard, Catana) have postively buoyant hulls, meaning they can't sink, even if capsized.

Are the Gemini 105M & 105MC's the same or can they sink? I didn't see if that capsized Gemini sunk or just capsized.
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 05:51   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Gemini Hull Construction

Gemini 105Mc, 105M, and I think the previous models have 4 buoyancy chambers (one at each corner, basically). If they remain watertight, they should keep the boat buoyant; however, if, say, you hit a reef and compromise both the buoyancy chamber and another part of the hull, not so much. Also, one of our buoyancy chambers used to fill up with water all by itself until I fixed it – water that accumulated in one of the lazarettes would seep in from the top. A trick we used was filling the buoyancy chambers up with fun noodles – others use empty, sealed 2-liter plastic bottles – just for a little extra insurance. (Friends of ours lost their Gem off the Yucatan after hitting a reef on the way out of an anchorage…they got in the dink and watched it sink, but were rescued very quickly. I don’t think they used any of the extra flotation ideas.)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, hull