Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What should I do if I want to liveaboard in the USVI outside of a marina/mooring
Living on the cheap in the USVI, get outta here! 3 27.27%
Just get a permit from the DNR 3 27.27%
Best to just do it and ask for forgiveness later! 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 20:30   #1

Clarification on anchoring and living aboard in the USVI

I know for anyone down there this is going to be like asking why the sky is blue but I am finding several different answers to being allowed to long term anchor in the USVI. My understanding is to be fully legit you need a a permit from the DNR to long term anchor around the USVI outside of the national park. I also understand that a lot of people dont even both.... Can someone in the know clarify this for me. Thanks!
CaverCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 10:19   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Clarification on anchoring and living aboard in the USVI

Well , I have searched and don't find a clear answer. There's plenty of info re using National park moorings, and on not dropping on coral and established anchorages in st Thomas . But no clear info as to what an anchoring permit is.
Old 18-04-2018, 10:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Clarification on anchoring and living aboard in the USVI

Find a nice spot.. drop your hook and see how long before your noticed.
If there's a permit someone will soon be along to say so..
Marigot Bay in SXM had started visiting after a week or so to tell you there's an anchoring fee if you stay static for a while.. that was 2015/16.. so I took to spending a few days at Grande Case every so often which kept them away.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 10:43   #4

Thanks, I was kinda thinking the same thing just moving around a bit but I also dont want to be on the hook with no where to go; see I'll be working on STT if I go through with this and thats why I asked.
CaverCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 11:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Clarification on anchoring and living aboard in the USVI

Anchor conveniently Sunday night for work in the week.. move somewhere nice Friday evening for the w/end..???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:57   #6

Boat: Lancer Powersailer, 27
Send a message via Skype™ to MaxEntropy

I anchored in Brewer's Bay St Thomas for over a year and DPNR came by one time but never came back. I don't think they have the budget to do much enforcement. Just try to be kind to the coral when you anchor and stop worrying so much.
MaxEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:07   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

From our experiences (4 seasons, mostly spent in USVIs), the DNR comes by when the college calls and complains....which is often. They (the college) seem to think they own/control the bay, and they do not like cruisers in "their" bay. We've seen the DNY come thru a few times, have heard several "war stories", but have never be approached by them.....but the longest we've stayed was 3+weeks. The main bay is wide open, and it seems several boats spend lots of time there-without hassle. But the bay is windy, swelly, and often somewhat uncomfortable. There are also several "private mooring balls" in the bay, but I have no idea how they came to be. elephant Bay, across from Crown Bay Marina, has lots of morring balls, but we've been told they are all private, leased by the year with a DNR permit; do not know who or when they are inspected. and there's lots of spaces between them to drop your pick. The bay out just beyond Red Hook is now full of mooring balls, and, again, we've been told they are private and on a yearly lease....but no idea who from! All you can do is stop and ask-see what direction they can give you. Hope this helps.....I know-clear as mud!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, living aboard