Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2016, 06:04   #1

Eastern Visayan Destinations, Anchorages

Folks,

Thinking of alternate destinations, typhoon shelters, etc for an upcoming cruise through the eastern Visayas.

Wondering if anyone out there has experience going SE from the Camotes, especially in January, heading to Maasin, Liloan, then Dinagat, Surigao, Siargao?

I have read the passage notes, and have taken the ferry from Surigao to Siargao so I know something about what to expect from winds, tides, dangers in the straits, etc. I am wondering about safe harbors and local attractions (beaches, snorkeling, mountain treks, etc.) to explore along the way.

Specifically, what is Liloan like? This is supposed to be a whale watching tourist spot. Any facilities for boats, good places to anchor? Decent watering holes or resorts?

Dinagat is pretty off the map but looks like a good place to weather a decent storm if moored "permanently" in Leyte or Siargao, near Del Carmen or other locales on the island.

Also, what kind of internet connections might I expect in Maasin, Sogod, or Liloan Leyte? Any decent ones exist on Dinagat?

Am doing lots of research on my own regarding such stuff, but would love to hear from folks with first hand experience.

Best to all,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:11   #2

Re: Eastern Visayan Destinations, Anchorages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Folks,

Thinking of alternate destinations, typhoon shelters, etc for an upcoming cruise through the eastern Visayas.

Wondering if anyone out there has experience going SE from the Camotes, especially in January, heading to Maasin, Liloan, then Dinagat, Surigao, Siargao?

I have read the passage notes, and have taken the ferry from Surigao to Siargao so I know something about what to expect from winds, tides, dangers in the straits, etc. I am wondering about safe harbors and local attractions (beaches, snorkeling, mountain treks, etc.) to explore along the way.

Specifically, what is Liloan like? This is supposed to be a whale watching tourist spot. Any facilities for boats, good places to anchor? Decent watering holes or resorts?

Dinagat is pretty off the map but looks like a good place to weather a decent storm if moored "permanently" in Leyte or Siargao, near Del Carmen or other locales on the island.

Also, what kind of internet connections might I expect in Maasin, Sogod, or Liloan Leyte? Any decent ones exist on Dinagat?

Am doing lots of research on my own regarding such stuff, but would love to hear from folks with first hand experience.

Best to all,

G2L
PS - Also, there is a white sand beach in barangay Santiago on the very SW tip of Pacijan Island, in the Camotes. It looks very shallow in photos, also on Google, Open CPN, etc.; so I am wondering if one can anchor close in enough to be protected from a N or NE wind/swell.

My boat's draft is only 3 feet. Anyone ever been there or have "local knowledge" or heard scuttlebutt on this locale?

Thanks again,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, destination