Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 14:27   #1

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft
Free anchorages in Florida

Does anyone know if there are any places in Florida where you can anchor that don't charge and are relatively sheltered. We're trying to sell our boat which at the moment is in Salinas in Puerto Rico but have been advised that it would be easier to find a buyer if it was in Florida but we can't afford to pay marina fees so would need somewhere that we could drop the hook where there is no fees. We are living aboard so would need access to fresh water and provisions.
Old 28-11-2016, 14:53   #2

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Re: Free anchorages in Florida

I was not going to reply but I know of a free anchorge in Kings Bay Crystal River. That is on west coast of Florida about 75 miles north of Tampa. The huge issue is the skinny water in that area. I have seen a 41' Beneteau in a slip at Pete's Pier and now I don't. So my guess is during a high tide they left.

It is an easy walk from Pete's Pier to the west side of Rt. 19 in Crystal River which has a lot of places to eat and a grocery store. If early in the morning you can cross RT 19 to get to other places to dine and to a Winn Dixie grocery store.

I was thinking if I were to live on a small catamaran I would pick this area.

In a sailboat you have to be careful coming into the limestone lined mouth of the Crystal River.

Ok ok...to be clear. This is not really a good place for a sailboat.Click image for larger version

Name:	1480373412232.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	137103Click image for larger version

Name:	1480373522039.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	137104
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 14:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantycrew View Post
Does anyone know if there are any places in Florida where you can anchor that don't charge and are relatively sheltered.
................................. We are living aboard so would need access to fresh water and provisions.
Just when reading your first sentence alone, there are hundreds of possibilities. It's that last sentence that trims the results.

Since you are not mentioning access to pump out facilities, I'm assuming that you have a Lectra-san or a composting head,- right?

Still, the answer can not be clearly stated. Do you have a swift dinghy with a sufficient HP outboard for a few miles and some means of land transportation? If so, then there are still a good number of possibilities in rural areas.

If you want to be able to collect water at a nearby free source in a metropolitan area in dinghy rowing distance and dock the dinghy for no cost; then, you will likely encounter problems.

In addition the term "liveaboard" is used as a term in Florida legislation that disallows many of your opportunities. As a cruising vessel that is capable of moving to various locations you will have more freedom in anchoring,- even long term. It is best not to describe yourself as anchoring your "liveaboard" vessel in Florida. You are far better off as an anchored "cruiser".

In addition, give us some added information about your draft and mast clearance. This will also help determine the range of your possibilities.
Old 28-11-2016, 15:31   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've never seen a mooring field in the Panhandle of Florida, it is all "free" anchorages near as I can tell.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 15:58   #5

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Just an FYI - Pete's Pier offers free pump out service but I think you need to get you boat to the station.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 18:19   #6

Boat: 1968 Pearson P35

Not free but not too expensive is garrison bight mooring field in Key West. $330 a month for
The mooring, secure dinghy dock and nice showers and laundry oh and also water. Need a good dink tho cause this time of year it can blow pretty good outta the north and north east and it gets pretty lumpy out here. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mayhemdog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:32   #7

You can anchor for free throughout most of Florida. You will probably need a good dinghy, with a reliable motor, though. As mentioned, in any interaction with officials it is probably best not to describe yourselves as liveaboards.

Here is a link to a page with a large number of free anchorages on the west coast...
Florida Sea Grant - Boating & Waterways - Anchorage Inventory
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 06:50   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

There are many places to anchor on the St Johns River. I think almost all anchorages are "free" except if they are part of a state or federal park that charges admission.

I view "anchoring" as staying someplace at anchor for a few days and then moving on to somewhere else. If you're planning on anchoring your boat permanently and living on it, dumping sewage and garbage in the water, etc., you may have a problem. This has become a sore spot in Florida.
Old 29-11-2016, 08:16   #9

How about Gulfport, FL. Boca Ciega bay.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:25   #10

Boat: Boatless

Lots of places to anchor in Biscayne Bay. We anchor our 55ft 7.5 ft draft boat just outside the Dinner Key mooring field and use the dock near the city marina.

You can anchor off Key Biscayne, dinghy into No Name Harbor and walk to the stores.

You would have to use jerry jugs for water.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:27   #11

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Just when reading your first sentence alone, there are hundreds of possibilities. It's that last sentence that trims the results.

Since you are not mentioning access to pump out facilities, I'm assuming that you have a Lectra-san or a composting head,- right?
I'm not sure having a Lectra-san makes it legal to pump overboard within Florida State waters.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:30   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Just remember, there may be more buyer's in Florida but there are also a whole lot more boats for sale here too.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:01   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I can't say with certainty that it'll help, but you might look on www.activecaptain.com since I'd figure that it'll at least give you an outline of where things are in various communities, even if it doesn't have loads of anchorages listed.

A question for the Florida savvy folks. How big of a help on this are; Cruising Guides, Charts, Coast Pilots, etc.? Since while I know that words of mouth is often the best resource, finding "the right mouth" can at times be problematic. And usually the above resources are a good start. Comments?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:06   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Boot Key in Marathon, Fl. municipal mooring field but also free anchorage. Water and pump out close by.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:19   #15

Boat: Creekmore 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Boot Key in Marathon, Fl. municipal mooring field but also free anchorage. Water and pump out close by.
Yes, but their dinghy dock charge is nearly as much as a mooring.
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, florida