Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 16:15   #1

Boat: Xquisite X5 50"
Greece Charter

My wife and i have a pop up opportunity to join a moorings charter in greece in September. This is primarily a means for experience as we figure out our catamaran purchase over the next 6 to 12 months. Will have completed ASA 114 before hand, but will have an experienced captain on-board as primary.

I am looking for any advice or recommendations for weather during that time, places to visit or stay onshore (arriving/departing from Athens) and relative safety in the area.

First time poster, by the way.

Always look forward to the collective wisdom and advice on this group.

Cheers, Jeff
jclark500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 23:16   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Greece Charter

Which island group are you visiting? There are many different cruising areas in Greece so it isn't possible to make recommendations without a little more info.

September is a good time to visit. Worst of the crowds have gone home and weather still good. Sailing weather isn't always great in the eastern Med during the summer. Usual pattern is three weeks of calm followed by a week of gales.

Safety... Greece is as safe as most parts of the civilized world. Just take normal precautions.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 00:57   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

In Athens we've used the hotel Adrian. Ok hotel with good location. Probably most hotels in the area would work fine. We've not experienced security issues in Athens. Watch for the standard pick pockets. Great food and friendly people.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:23   #4

Appreciate the responses thus far.

Itinerary looks like this:coach to Lefkas from Athens, then cruise Meganish, Kefalonia, ithaca, atokos, kastos, kalamos,lefkas islands with coach back to Athens.

I was thinkning of going a few days early or stay later to explore land side on our own. Any thoughts or recommendations on that phase?

Kindly, jeff
Old 01-08-2016, 14:16   #5

There's supposed to be a few nice beaches on the west coast that you can't really visit by boat and the lefkas town is a nice place to hang out for a couple of days.

Check hire car prices from Athens airport. When I had my yacht in lefkas i found that the car hire prices after high season were reasonable enough for me to just leave it in the marina whilst I sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-08-2016, 14:46   #6

thanks, Hoppy, will look into that. Best, Jeff
Old 02-08-2016, 02:19   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I've been to a few of the places that are on your list. Kefalonia, Levkas and Meganisi. Kefalonia is wonderful (it's were they filmed Captain Corelli's Mandolin a few years back) Fiskardo is a great little harbour with lots going on. Can be noisy on the quay so take your ear plugs if you like to turn in early! Vasiliki on Levkas is another lively place very popular with windsurfers. There is one amazing island that is totally abandoned after an earthquake a while back. It had to be abandoned as the water supply just disappeared after the earthquake. Unfortunately I can't remember the name but I'm sure it'll be in the local cruising guide. There is a harbour that is just large enough for a couple of boats so it is a great, quiet place to stay.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:40   #8

I would suggest that you investigate the Sailing Holiday's flotilla schedules and dates....

Nothing worse than waiting for the wind to pick up in the afternoon so you can sail to your next destination, only to find that SH has taken all of the town quay spots and good moorings.

When they are on the move they are easy to spot at a distance. Like little ducks, many just motor in a row following the flotilla lead yacht. The leader is easy to spot as it seems to always motors and has a million flags along the backstay.

The SH base in Sivota on the botom of Lefkas is quite nice. I think you can safely go there mid week to not find them there

Flotillas

Tags
charter, Greece