Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 08:23   #1

Soon to be living aboard!

Hey all, first time poster here. I look forward to reading all the information on this site and making sound decisions on what to purchase.

First things first I need a boat, I have never sailed before but been on a few sailboats while sailing. I am a broker but most of my knowledge is with powerboats growing up in Michigan, now in Florida I want to fulfill my dream of love for the water and hop aboard. I'm single with no kids so it's all up to me. I can work from home so it's important to have an area comfortable enough to put in a decent days work at the computer. I'm in St. Petersburg, Fl so I need a somewhat shallow draft boat for my local water here, tankage isn't a concern because I don't plan on doing any extended excursions with this boat. Mostly cruising Tampa Bay and some of the beaches on the west coast.

Been doing some research and trying to figure out what size I want, I have ready that I should get the smallest size that I could live aboard with and to me that's about 30'. The boat that jumps out at me, seeing as you see you many of them, is a Catalina 30 MKii. That's kind of what I'm basing all other boats on, I like that the cabin looks to be big enough and it has a small aft cabin, I don't want to sleep in a V-berth. Also I need a boat that has at least a swim ladder or walkthrough transom. Any input would be helpful as to what boats I can look at with similar cabins, drafts, build quality. I have looked at some O'Day 31's and those seem nice too. Thanks in advance!!
Darlenesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 13:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Soon to be living aboard!

Darlenesboy, Welcome to the community. A Catalina 30 sounds like an excellent choice for the live-aboard type boat you're looking for. Too many seem to think that more space is required, but the adaptation can be easy for many. I would hesitate to make the ultimatum of not accepting a V-berth for good sleeping. The bow can be quite comfortable if the size is adequate and the bow under a forward hatch often has the best breeze when anchored out; however, most Florida live-aboards keep to air conditioning at the dock. Keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 22-06-2016, 14:24   #3

Boat: Hunter Passage 420
Re: Soon to be living aboard!

I lived aboard a Catalina 30 for 4 years, loved it. It was the perfect boat for a single guy. Enough space and amenities for one, and the occasional overnight guest, and easy to handle solo, especially with an autopilot. I only moved to a larger boat because I acquired a wife who loved living aboard as well, and we simply needed more storage and space. As for the V-berth, it was great for sleeping, for one or two. The hatch overhead provided a nice breeze at night. I used the aft berth for storage, put a couple of large plastic covered bins on it for my clothes. I still miss that boat.

Windblown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard