Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 06:37   #1

Boat: Hanse 575
Anchorages on the East Coast of Zakinthos.

We are moving the boat back from Kalamata back up to Lefkas the first week of May. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good overnight stop on the east coast of Zakinthos? Port Zante is the obvious but was hoping that someone had experience of something a little more pleasant.

Thanks,

Matt
SD Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 09:44   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 50
Re: Anchorages on the East Coast of Zakinthos.

In the Northeast you have Agios Nikolaus. But careful here as it is open to the NE and can be downright dangerous in unsettled weather and swells from the NE. I was there last summer at one point in the evening one metre swells started coming into the harbour, driven by a distant thunderstorm. We had to move out in a hurry and anchor just south of the island at the entrance of the port.

When in the area don't miss the "Ship Wreck" in the NW Zakinthos (where you can also anchor in good weather) and the caves in the NE tip of the island.

Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 10:35   #3

Last year I spent a couple of nights anchored in Keri which is on the west side of the "bay" at the south. Took my dinghy for a trip around the area following the tourist boats trying to find some turtles but lucked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-04-2016, 02:55   #4

Boat: Hanse 575

Many thanks for both of those suggestions. We were hoping to get round to Shipwreck Bay for a look. I think that Keri may well work for us. Thanks again!
SD Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 03:11   #5

If the weather is "typical" for that part of the Ionian during summer (NW in the afternoon and calm at night) and you want a launching pad for an early arrival to Shipwreck bay, you can anchor in Ormos Alikes just north of Alikanas.

A couple of years ago, we anchored there after a 2 night sail from Corfu and then headed to Shipwreck bay first thing in the morning to beat most of the day tripper boats.

In the bay, anchor close to the west side because the f.....s in the day tripper boats don't give a s..t how close to your rigging their massive bowsprits get.
Old 22-04-2016, 08:43   #6

Boat: Amel Sharki #68 of 1982, 39 feet

Hello Matt,

I am Italian, from Venezia, and sail regularly around the Peloponnese to reach the Aegean Sea. From Kalamata up to Zakynthos, unless you have already visited these locations, I would consider:
-Anchoring in Methony Bay or mooring strait into Pilos small port in Navarinos Bay. Like most Greek ports, Pilos is free of charge. Do not moor in the main port: sometimes there is an annoying swell and bad smell from city sewage, go into the small port (the one called "marina" in most maps).
-Another small leg up to Kiparissia on the Peloponnese coast, about 27 NM from Pilos. This also is free of charge and out of the main touristic locations.
-From Kiparissia you can go directly to Agios Nikolaos, a small port on the north east of Zakynthos, again free of charge. Quiet and very pleasant. As already mentioned it is open to NE so if winds form that direction you may face an annoying swell, but in this case you can anchor SW of the small island at the entrance of Agios Nikolaos, still about 50 m from shore. If no winds/sea from NE, moor in the port, at the concrete pier ESE, the one facing the petrol station. It is owned by the family of Dimitris, a nice young fellow. He offers the mooring with water and electricity (if needed) asking that the guests take dinner at his restaurant (near the petrol station), fairly cheap and delicious lamb ribs...
I would avoid Zante port: large, noisy, smelly, with swell caused by ships, although may is low season.
-On the NW of Zakynthos you have the famous wreck bay. You can pay a visit to it and then overnight at Vromy Bay, about 3 NM south.
-Continuing north for Levkas, I would consider a stop in Samis port (Kefalonia Island). Here the port authorities ask for a small fee. Than continue north along the canal between Kefalonia and Ithaki and spend a night anchored in one of the beautiful bays before Fiskardo, like Palaiokaravo.
-Last but not least, pass by Fiskardo, the VIPs village of Kefalonia, and from there you are close to Levkas...

Fair winds,
marco
SV Albin Vega 3339, Spray
africanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, east coast