Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 05:03   #1

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot
Centre cockpit portside forward helm

Hello everyone, I am trying to find sail boats that are like the camper and Nicholson models or most Amel models that are centre cockpit with the helm, steering and navigation equipment on the port side typically just under the small hard dodger. Does anybody know of any other people that make a boat with this Style of layout, I would prefer a ketch rig cutter. Any opinions on these types of boats is welcome also thank you for everyone’s time.
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 13:18   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Centre cockpit portside forward helm

A good friend has a Nauticat 515. His boat has the center helm but some other 515’s have a port helm in the cockpit. Additionally, they also have a second steering station to port in the salon. Surprisingly, they are heavy but fast being a Sparksman & Stephen design. Very well built boats. From Finland.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:05   #3

Boat: Bavaria C57

Beneteau 57. Centre cockpit, offset steering, hard dodger. Brilliant made and solid boat quite different from their normal output. No longer made as they lost money on every one. Production ended in 2010 and earlier versions more sort after due to some later build issues. This is the boat they tried to compete with the Northern Europe boat builders. Seriously thinking about getting one for me and the misses for a circumnavigation.

Good luck with your search.
Haddock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:12   #4

Here you go.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/c...pe/Beneteau/57
Old 05-04-2019, 13:24   #5

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
Beneteau 57. Centre cockpit, offset steering, hard dodger. Brilliant made and solid boat quite different from their normal output. No longer made as they lost money on every one. Production ended in 2010 and earlier versions more sort after due to some later build issues. This is the boat they tried to compete with the Northern Europe boat builders. Seriously thinking about getting one for me and the misses for a circumnavigation.

Good luck with your search.
I knew about the Ben 57 .....but...

My opinion as well. Farr designed, they are quick. But can be a handful under sail if operated by a novice. GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
I knew about the Ben 57 .....but...

My opinion as well. Farr designed, they are quick. But can be a handful under sail if operated by a novice. GL
Not sure where you got that info from. Any boat this size needs a skipper who knows what they are doing. With enough electric gizmos should be easily handled by two. Suggest if you are new to sailing start with mid 30's cruiser and learn your craft.

I started with a Jaguar 27 then Bavaria 38 on to a Dufour 425 GL and now have a Beneteau Sense 46. Looking to upgrade to a blue water cruiser next year. Quite interested in the Kracken 50 (would need to sell the house though).
Old 21-07-2020, 14:43   #7

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

thank you for your reply, any others come to mind?>
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, helm, ports