Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2019, 16:37   #1

Boat: 1981 Tayana 37
Load capacity of Alberg 35

I was wondering if anyone knew the load capacity of a Alberg 35. Assuming the water tanks and fuel tanks are full. I want to see how many tools, fishing gear, hookah rig, people, and pets I can carry.
Thanks
TheLastPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 17:02   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Load capacity of Alberg 35

I don't know the figure you seek, but I have an ol' CCA design boat like the A35 and I'd say it is more a matter of volume needed for the extra stuff rather than the weight. If you can jam it in, I am pretty sure she'll carry it just fine. It doesn't help the speed much though. Our ol' designs like the weight placed centrally too, so that decreases the amount of useable volume for the heavy stuff. How much do you want to put in?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 17:23   #3

As much as I absolutely can..lol...well, I do boatwork, including building small boats. I would love to bring all my dewalt cordless stuff, including the 50 lb table saw. Clamps, hand planes, couple sanders, cordless 7 1/4 inch circular saw, sawsaw,misc hand tools etc etc..

I haven't done the math yet..but I could guess.

I would love to bring about 300-400 lbs of tools. That would include my epoxy, primer, fairing compound, paint(I think that's way high, but for example) Then theres me and a Rottie...that's almost 350 between the two of us. Id say another 100 lbs for fishing and hookah. 100 lbs of dogfood(90 days worth) ..that's 950 total. Then standard liveaboard cruising gear..clothes, food, guitar, and so on.
Old 28-03-2019, 17:33   #4

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I can barely find room for my underwear on our 33ft.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 17:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I can barely find room for my underwear on our 33ft.
Ive got the room, just wondered if there was a particular weight capacity.
Old 28-03-2019, 19:03   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

As with Don, I'd guess you'll be fine! The trick will probably be finding lockers and storage areas with the dimensions to stow things like a table saw.

Depending on where you plan to cruise, you may find you dont need to end up hauling around gallons of things like paint and primer. In my experience, except for small island countries, building supplies are readily available locally, and will often be cheaper unless you insist on the imported brands you are used to.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 19:15   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, as a possible reference point, my boat (displacing 7500# over a 22.5' waterline) was originally built with 3100# of ballast and then later they raised that to 4100# to stiffen it up a bit. And then people still loaded them up to cruise around on. You have a lot more to work with on yours. And it helps that it is not a flatter hull too of course. If you aren't even up to a ton yet I think you are ok. I'd just focus on stowing all the heavy stuff as low and centralized as possible. I am guessing you'll use salon settees for the tools. Many years ago a buddy of mine (who also did boatwork) loaded up his 24' with his woodworking tools and lots of other stuff. I don't know what the weight was, but the boat was stuffed and the bootstripe was underwater. The plan was we were going to sail her to Hawaii. Long story short we ended up coming back after a few days, but the boat sailed fine the whole time!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 19:27   #8

I was going to leave this part out , so as not to open a can of worms, but here it is.... here's why I have so much room...lol. Im removing the inboard(Its a 9 hp volvo and its broken. Im adding a 9.9 high thrust 25 inch shaft outboard to a retracting bracket that sits on the aft quarter like Jun De Sud. That will save me some weight, some of that weigh is going to be taken up by a folding side boarding stair so my 100 lb dog can easily get in and out of the boat from the dingy, which will be mounted on the opposite side. But it will leave my engine room bare...which is where my tools can go. As far as the epoxy and stuff...I agree, its easy to find. I listed it because I will carry some...a couple gals at least. Its nice to have right there when you want it. I absolutely love my table saw...it makes such a huge difference ..and because everything I have is hand powered or batt...I can pull up to a beach and build a dingy if I want to...all by myself
The batts charge off 12 volt(solar) and they last a long time with the 60 volt max batts. I used three of the batts switching them between a table saw , circular saw , angle grinder , and multi tool to build a oyster tub with culling board and do some work on a skiff for the past two days before I needed to charge them..awesome system. Anyway....room isn't the issues obviously. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a load capacity for the Alberg 35m then I can weigh all my stuff and cull what I need to.
Old 28-03-2019, 19:28   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Each 830lbs will drop the A 35 about 1 inch in the water. You want to make sure to keep the heavy stuff out of the ends, or else you will make the hobby horsing significantly worse.
Old 28-03-2019, 19:32   #10

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I don't know if that helps but my 26 feet and 2100 kilos flat bottom boat , weights 2900 with a the gear and provisions around 3100 with the crew , she doesn't seem to have a problem and ibelieve neither will yours .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 19:46   #11

And I REALLY shouldn't mention this..lol.. I own the Alberg...and love it, love the boat..great seaworthy boat. Not the best for the big dog. But very doable with some mods. I have build some stairs so she can walk down into the hull easily, for example.
But I have just sold my house and could buy a Prout snowgoose...pre elite. They seem to be in my price range. They are old and sturdy, circumnavigators, slow and beat, hard to point etc etc..but great for the dog...and trolling multiple fishing lines off the transom..with room to walk between them. I have posted a question on the multihull side, seeing if anyone knew the load capacity of that as well...of course the Cat is nice and stable and roomy for the pooch, windows she can stare out of as she likes to do on land, much bigger cockpit etc….

But I have some pros and cons, I already own the Alberg, and could really trick it out for a fraction of what Id spend on the Cat. , My Alberg is very manual...pump water, composting toilet, one thru hull is all that's needed for saltwater intake/sink drain, and even that could be eliminated. Very very cheap to upkeep, and simple. The cat will have all kinds of systems Ill eventually toss out as they break and convert it to manual..but its more stuff to keep up with. I could go on... so what Im hearing from everyone...it seems I can take my tools on the Alberg...which is awesome..now Ill hear if I can on the Cat too form my other post hopefully...I know the wetted surface displacement thing..cats less weight and so on..but if they can carry what I want to bring..then you know..that is a factor I don't have to add to the pros and cons list.
Old 28-03-2019, 19:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Each 830lbs will drop the A 35 about 1 inch in the water. You want to make sure to keep the heavy stuff out of the ends, or else you will make the hobby horsing significantly worse.
Now that's some good stuff there!!! Is this a estimate, or is this from experience with a Alberg 35 Paul? That's the kind of exact numbers I was hoping for!! Although thanks to everyone that posted..it was all good stuff and answered my overall question.
Old 28-03-2019, 19:59   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPirate View Post
Now that's some good stuff there!!! Is this a estimate, or is this from experience with a Alberg 35 Paul? That's the kind of exact numbers I was hoping for!! Although thanks to everyone that posted..it was all good stuff and answered my overall question.
It is calculated from the size of the plain at the waterline. See inch/pound here
Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 20:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It is calculated from the size of the plain at the waterline. See inch/pound here
Sail Calculator Pro v3.54 - 3200+ boats

Nice!! Ill have to bookmark that page!
Old 29-03-2019, 09:00   #15

LastPirate:

The sail calculator given to you by Paul L is just fine, but it would be even even better if you have a clear understanding of how to calculate such a simple parameter. Here it is:

The Alberg 35 is 24 Ft LWL. The beam at the waterline is 8 feet. Thus the RECTANGLE circumscribing the actual waterline plane of the boat is 24 x 8 = 192 Sqft. Take 65% (called the Water Plane Coefficient) of that because that will be very close to the actual area of the water plane area, i.e. 124.8 Sqft, call it 125SqFt for easy numbers. A "block" of sea water with an area of 125SqFt and 1 foot "thick" will have a volume of 125 CUFT, and therefore weigh 125 x 64 = 8,000 lbs.

Divide that by 12 to get the weight of a "slice" of water only 1 INCH thick instead of 12, and you get 666.66 lbs. Therefore every 666.66 lbs (say 650 lbs for easy numbers) you take aboard will take your Alberg 35 down ONE INCH on her lines.

Easy as that, and now you can do it in your head for any boat any boat for which you know the LWL and the Beam(WL) :-)

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 35, loa