Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 08:04   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Transferring BVI MMSI #

I recently sold my BVI registered boat to a USA buyer who registered it in the USA. The buyer has asked me to unregister my name from the MMSI # so he can register it in his name.

Does anyone know how that is handled? What agency or who to contact in the BVI's to make that happen?
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:42   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Transferring BVI MMSI #

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
I recently sold my BVI registered boat to a USA buyer who registered it in the USA. The buyer has asked me to unregister my name from the MMSI # so he can register it in his name.

Does anyone know how that is handled? What agency or who to contact in the BVI's to make that happen?
I assume that the current MMSI was issued by the BVI authorities (ie the "right" thing to do for a BVI flagged boat). New owner has to get a new MMSI from the FCC.

I know that this entails reprogramming the unit; life is tough sometimes.
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10   #3

That's correct, BVI authorities issued the MMSI, but do I need to unregister the BVI MMSI #, so the Buyer can get one from the FCC. Or I just don't have to do anything?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:22   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
That's correct, BVI authorities issued the MMSI, but do I need to unregister the BVI MMSI #, so the Buyer can get one from the FCC. Or I just don't have to do anything?
I understand that the MMSI expires when the Radio Licence expires ie a year after you renew it.

I bet the BVI authorities want you to tell them the boat is no longer a Virgin boat but you have probably told them that when you asked for a dereg certificate that should be a requirement of US reg.

Has new owner already registered the boat with USCG? If so then they need to contac the FCC asking for a new MMSI.
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:34   #5

The dereg certificate has been filed with the BVI authorities, so that will probably trigger the cancellation of the BVI MMSI #. Many thanks.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:52   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

My understanding is as follows:
1. Buyer cannot use BVI MMSI number on a boat registered in any other country, USA included.
2. He should file a request for a VHF radio station licence with the FCC. The FCC will grant the licence and allocate new MMSI number.
3. This number should be programmed into any DSC capable equipment on board. Usually such equipment is user programmable, but only for a limited number of times. After this number of changes is completed you need to bring the equipment to a service station of the manufacturet that has access to the software required to reprogram the radio.
4. BVI MMSI will expire with the BVI station licence. Usually this licence is issued by an authority that is independent from the authority that registers the boats. It will be nice if you notify this authority that the boat is being sold and you wish to end the validity of the radio station licence.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
My understanding is as follows:
1. Buyer cannot use BVI MMSI number on a boat registered in any other country, USA included.
2. He should file a request for a VHF radio station licence with the FCC. The FCC will grant the licence and allocate new MMSI number.
3. This number should be programmed into any DSC capable equipment on board. Usually such equipment is user programmable, but only for a limited number of times. After this number of changes is completed you need to bring the equipment to a service station of the manufacturet that has access to the software required to reprogram the radio.
4. BVI MMSI will expire with the BVI station licence. Usually this licence is issued by an authority that is independent from the authority that registers the boats. It will be nice if you notify this authority that the boat is being sold and you wish to end the validity of the radio station licence.
Simple easy to follow steps. THANK YOU.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:41   #8

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

On virtually ALL recent radios, AIS transceivers, etc, the MMSI can only be programmed by the user ONCE! If the unit has an MMSI number resident in it's memory, the user level software used to configure the unit will not be able to clear it and enter a new number. In many cases the unit will have to be returned to an authorized service entity for reconfiguration.

Not sure about other manufacturers, but Em-Trak now has a support function allowing user-level reconfiguration. The owner sends them the info they require and they send an SD card to insert in the AIS, no PC connection required. Pretty cool, hope others will follow suit.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45   #9

Boat: Liberty 458

The new owner will need to obtain a new MMSI from whatever country he is aligned to.

Reprogramming will typically require sending the radio, epirbs, ais back to the manufacturer to apply the new mmsi.

Its a pain but they aren''t reprogrammable to avoid every man and his dog fat fingering the mmsi.

We have an old epirb that is cheaper to replace than reprogram and update the battery. Forced obsolescence.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:30   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Looks like your problem has been solved. I purchased a boat in the USA a few years back. Three radios, 2 VHF, 1 SSB. Had to get the previous owner to cancel his numbers (fortunately acomplished with help of broker). Was also able to get all radios into the same MMSI number.

In the USA, there are two MMSI systems. One is coordinated through BoatUS, and I'm told is generally focused on inland or US coastal cruising. The other is handled directly by the USCG, and it was explained to me that that system was more focused on boats going offshore. I registered in the latter system, and they were very helpful in working with me to set up all my radios to the same MMSI. Both systems work for coastal US sailing.

Another "challenge" you might run into is the radio itself. In the early days of MMSI, radios had the capability to have the MMSI reprogrammed two or three times. This helped with change of ownership. Newer radios today don't have that capability. They can only be reprogrammed by the owner once, sometimes not at all. You have to send the entire radio in to the manufacturer or a shop that works with the manufacturer to get it reprogrammed. Since I was the third owner, I had to send my ICOM502's in. Fortunately not the SSB. Didn't cost a lot, but was a hassle.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI