Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2017, 11:05   #1

Atomic 4 Replacement on Alberg 30

What is a fairly good cost estimate for replacing an Atomic 4 in an 68 Alberg 30? Recommended mechanics on the Chesapeake?

I've put over $1k in trying to repair the one in it but it just keeps sucking down money and I've done all a non-mechanic can do, replaced carburetor, fuel filter, fuel pump, even the exhaust manifold, starter and points and plugs, fuel lines. The head itself appears to be badly rusted inside. So enough is enough I think.

I know Moyer sells the engines but that seems to be just the start of costs. Need a pretty good ball park figure before I dive into this mess. Ideas? Experience? Recommendations?

Thanks
Photosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 11:47   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Atomic 4 Replacement on Alberg 30

I priced a Beta replacement - was around $9K. That's just the engine and trans. Does not include all the work to put it into the boat, modify the mounts, new exhaust, new prop, new fuel system, new wiring, etc... If I paid a mechanic to do it, I could buy 2 Catalina 30's for the price of the swap. So it's not worth it to me.

My A4 is getting a bit tired, low compression in #1, but I think I'll replace it with a Moyer short block - easier and cheaper than going diesel.

What problem are you having? I'd say a good dx on the problem would be more useful than throwing parts at it.

Guessing from the list of parts, you're thinking intermittent fuel problems. Temporarily adding a fuel pressure gauge can help you know if you're keeping the carb filled with gas. If not, go backwards till you find it. (Bad oil pressure switch to the fuel pump would be common - can be dx'd by keeping a voltmeter on the pump and watching it.)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 19:50   #3

Re: Atomic 4 Replacement on Alberg 30

I have an A30 on the Chesapeake which was repowered by previous owner with the A30 Association recommended Yanmar 2GMF20 repower. They paid $12k for engine, trans, other parts and install. Join the association for details on conversion but White Marsh Diesel is a great guy in the Baltimore/Annapolis area. Much better fuel economy and range and safer. 2GM's are not made anymore but a rebuilt would be better than the newer model that is not mechanical but electrical with more things to go wrong. Good luck, see you on the bay!
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, men