Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 05:35   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Ex-Charter boat EU-VAT & Registration export/import question.

Hi there. I am very new to boat purchase and need some advice.

I am from Germany (EU citizen) and want to buy a boat in Greece, that is
under charter management at the moment - so no VAT payed yet.

I am considering a registration in Germany by getting a flag certificate. I Think, this is sufficient for a 40ft boat, but will check first with the authorities.

Now my question: where do i have to pay the VAT and for what amount (based on the the sales price payed to the previous owner or the depreciation value of the vessel - it is 5 years old or based on the valuation of the survey)

Do I have to import physically the boat to Germany and pay the German VAT (19%) at the entrance port or do I have to pay the Greek VAT - what is probably much higher? Any other way to get around without putting the boat in charter an preventing the VAT issue (e.g. export and foreign flag)?

How you guys do the trick buying a boat without payed VAT in an neighbor EU country from a previously chartered boat?
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 08:31   #2

Re: Ex-Charter boat EU-VAT & Registration export/import question.

Following the rules you should pay EU VAT in the first EU country you enter. IF you take delivery in Greece you pay VAT in Greece.

You pay VAT on the market value. In your case the purchase price.

That was the rules.

If you sail the boat from Greece no one will say anything. You could sail to another EU country and pay VAT. As there is competition about you VAT money another EU country might consider the market value lower. It is open for negotiations in some countries.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:49   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Hi there. I am very new to boat purchase and need some advice.

I am from Germany (EU citizen) and want to buy a boat in Greece, that is
under charter management at the moment - so no VAT payed yet.

I am considering a registration in Germany by getting a flag certificate. I Think, this is sufficient for a 40ft boat, but will check first with the authorities.

Now my question: where do i have to pay the VAT and for what amount (based on the the sales price payed to the previous owner or the depreciation value of the vessel - it is 5 years old or based on the valuation of the survey)

Do I have to import physically the boat to Germany and pay the German VAT (19%) at the entrance port or do I have to pay the Greek VAT - what is probably much higher? Any other way to get around without putting the boat in charter an preventing the VAT issue (e.g. export and foreign flag)?

How you guys do the trick buying a boat without payed VAT in an neighbor EU country from a previously chartered boat?

Hi there...

how did you finally do it? And where did you register your boat? In Germany using ADAC service?

I might be in your shoes soon and still sorting out options to avoid EU VAT. I do not plan to berth the boat in EU waters. But at the moment it seems there are plenty of boats in the med. So a purchase in an EU country might be probable...

Thanks!

John
Old 07-03-2019, 07:29   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Hi there...

how did you finally do it? And where did you register your boat? In Germany using ADAC service?

I might be in your shoes soon and still sorting out options to avoid EU VAT. I do not plan to berth the boat in EU waters. But at the moment it seems there are plenty of boats in the med. So a purchase in an EU country might be probable...

Thanks!

John
Hi, we bought our in France finally, the boat was an owners version, french VAT paid by the owner, so no issues, registered by Flag Certificate at BSH in Germany, not ADAC.

Got also a document from french customs when deregistering it in France about the VAT status, so I assume, no problems in the future.

However I had to change the call sign and MMSI number to a german one.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:24   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Thanks. Sounds straight forward!

Tags
boat, charter, import, registration