Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2017, 06:48   #1

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38
Fountaine pajot tobago survey

I'm having a 1995 tobago surveyed and wondering if there is anything peculiar to this boat to be sure to look at. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 06:52   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Fountaine pajot tobago survey

Osmosis... ask the surveyor for blisters or previous epoxy job done by previous owners...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:08   #3

The Tobago pre-dates FP's osmosis problems. The problem was around 2006-2010, and mostly with Lavezzi and Oranas.

Osmosis won't be any more of an issue on a Tobago than it would be on any other boat of that vintage.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

We had one Tobago long time ago in charter. Nothing as a specific problem that I can recall. Like all old FP's she had a very good performance for her size. 835 ft)
As already mentioned, osmosis was an issue at later models. Moreover, if she had it, that would have been the case long ago.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 09:33   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Had a FP Maldives of similar vintage and very similar construction. As Yeloya says, these boats were well built and fast because of a high sailarea to displacement. Look for any impact damage on the keels and rudders and survey the hull for delamination from hard grounding particularly the area around the keel sockets.
Also, the original deck gear like genoa track and mainsheet track system were Amiot and it was not durable. You will probably have to factor in replacement or refurb unless already replaced. Amiot spares are difficult to get.
Check the front cross beams for corrosion or cracks. FP used a variety of techniques for constructing these and they can suffer from corrosion. Replacement can be expensive.
Older FP lpg factory installations do not meet modern standards for bottle stowage safety and installation.
Otherwise, just check for normal stuff like stress cracks.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 12:44   #6

I bought a Fountaine Pajot Fidji.
The rudder posts between the hull and the rudder were corroded, pitted.
Difficult to remove and repair.
The aluminum fuel tank was enclosed in an area between the steering wheel and the galley. I had to cut out the galley enclosure ( fiberglass surround ) to remove the fuel tank. The tank had coins lodged underneath it and because of dissimilar
metals was corroded and pitted. Removed tank and replaced it with a fuel bladder in each hull.
All of the rigging needed replacing.
Volvo saildrives were also pitted and salt water cooled engines had to be replaced with Yanmar.
It had suffered a hull bottom and front collision and had been repaired.That hull that had been repaired and repainted subsequently oxidized to a chalky finish.
The original plastic wrap around windows leaked and had to be replaced.
The round opening porthole on the top of the center of the bridgedeck cabin
had a broken hinge.
There were signs of internal cracks as a result of the light design and its flexing under sail ( just a condition of its light design criteria ).
Both cabin doors had to be replaced.
Be prepaired to do a lot of work.
Cheers, Catman
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 04:27   #7
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

whats the name of the boat you are getting?
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 04:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I bought a Fountaine Pajot Fidji.
The rudder posts between the hull and the rudder were corroded, pitted.
Difficult to remove and repair.
The aluminum fuel tank was enclosed in an area between the steering wheel and the galley. I had to cut out the galley enclosure ( fiberglass surround ) to remove the fuel tank. The tank had coins lodged underneath it and because of dissimilar
metals was corroded and pitted. Removed tank and replaced it with a fuel bladder in each hull.
All of the rigging needed replacing.
Volvo saildrives were also pitted and salt water cooled engines had to be replaced with Yanmar.
It had suffered a hull bottom and front collision and had been repaired.That hull that had been repaired and repainted subsequently oxidized to a chalky finish.
The original plastic wrap around windows leaked and had to be replaced.
The round opening porthole on the top of the center of the bridgedeck cabin
had a broken hinge.
There were signs of internal cracks as a result of the light design and its flexing under sail ( just a condition of its light design criteria ).
Both cabin doors had to be replaced.
Be prepaired to do a lot of work.
Cheers, Catman
Hi CAtman,

I've sailed Fidji as well, im my view she has't got too much in common with Tobago although she was made in the same years. She stayed in our charter fleet for about 6-7 years and then sold out 4 years ago. By chance I've seen the boat in Crete last year and talked to the owner; he was very happy with the boat and the boat looked in perfect form..
In short, if the boat is kept well, the maintenance is properly done any boat will last.
I agree with you that the ergonomy, the systems used are outdated but she was significantly faster than recent FP's. I remember having had easy 15 kts in 22-24 kts of true on calm waters..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:18   #9

I know this is off topic but need Tobago info and got no response on the new thread.

We are looking at Tobagos...so far from a distance. In looking at a zillion pictures it appears there is a rise in the floor in the galley. It looks like a place to step and turn an ankle - which makes no sense.

Is there a rise? Any issues stepping on or around it?
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:54   #10

We chartered a Tobago in Belize in 2004. It was a great boat, sailed really well. The only things I didn't like were the less than weather proof bimini, the way the anchor chain runs over the nets the spongy deck and access to to the engines. So the only survey issue would have been the spongy deck (each side of the salon)
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 15:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
I know this is off topic but need Tobago info and got no response on the new thread.

We are looking at Tobagos...so far from a distance. In looking at a zillion pictures it appears there is a rise in the floor in the galley. It looks like a place to step and turn an ankle - which makes no sense.

Is there a rise? Any issues stepping on or around it?
It's more accurate to say that their is a rise in the floor between the galley and the lounge area". Similar to, but far more constricted than, the one in the Belize. In the Tobago, the fridge in in the raised lounge area and the lower level sole in much narrower.

We don't find the rise in the Belize an issue.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fountaine pajot, survey, Tobago