Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 12:37   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Urgently Needed: Alberg 30 Rudder

Plans for cruising from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas abruptly changed by grounding on first leg of voyage. Urgently seeking a replacement rudder for our Alberg 30 so that we can resume our adventure. Would appreciate any leads on sourcing this rudder.
Ariose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 17:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Re: Urgently Needed: Alberg 30 Rudder

Where are you located rite now. I can build you a new rudder fairly fast. But more then likely yours can be repaired. I have a 78 A30 and they are indestructible
PM ME
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 18:04   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariose View Post
Plans for cruising from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas abruptly changed by grounding on first leg of voyage. Urgently seeking a replacement rudder for our Alberg 30 so that we can resume our adventure. Would appreciate any leads on sourcing this rudder.
Check here, this member may know:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Alberg 30 refit

also:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-170839.html

and:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...96-alberg.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 08:04   #4

Thanks, fkittson and DonCL.
We are actually going with repairing our rudder. Our urgency was around getting away before the New York canals close, which we may still pull off . We're working with a great boat yard in Kingston.
We will check out those suggested resources – they look like they have a lot of good information. Thanks again.
Old 13-11-2016, 11:40   #5

Boat: Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner

Foss foam does a wonderful job of replicating a new rudder. I believe they have most of Cape Dory rudder molds.
capemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 21:43   #6

Boat: Alberg #0

As an A30 owner, could you explain how the damage was done? The rudder curves up from the back of the full cutaway keel so is as well protected as any. I've run aground plenty in the chesapeake and have never had rudder damage. Is that just the muddy bottom that's protecting me? Getting paranoid now...

Hope you get on your way soon.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 12:50   #7

No need for paranoia – we were in a pretty unique situation.
We knew our anchorage was tenuous, but it was an offshore wind and we could see our anchor was well lodged in a crevice in the otherwise flat limestone bottom. A 180° wind shift overnight though seems to have easily lifted our anchor out and presented us with large waves driving us toward a lee shore. As we dragged dangerously close, we attempted to start our motor ( our mast was down as the next day we were to have entered the New York canal system ) ,and our starter broke. we were in big trouble. So yes, A30's rudders are well protected, but about two hours of continual pounding on the limestone shelf wore down the full length of the keel and smashed up the rudder. By the looks of the damage, we suspect there was a bit of a rise in the rock right at the rudder . We're actually grateful that the damage was as minimal as it was – a lesser boat would have likely been destroyed.
Looking forward to making it down to the Chesapeake mud! Repairs are almost complete and we expect to be on our way in a couple of days.
Old 15-11-2016, 13:19   #8

Got any photos?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-11-2016, 13:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariose View Post
No need for paranoia – we were in a pretty unique situation.
We knew our anchorage was tenuous, but it was an offshore wind and we could see our anchor was well lodged in a crevice in the otherwise flat limestone bottom. A 180° wind shift overnight though seems to have easily lifted our anchor out and presented us with large waves driving us toward a lee shore. As we dragged dangerously close, we attempted to start our motor ( our mast was down as the next day we were to have entered the New York canal system ) ,and our starter broke. we were in big trouble. So yes, A30's rudders are well protected, but about two hours of continual pounding on the limestone shelf wore down the full length of the keel and smashed up the rudder. By the looks of the damage, we suspect there was a bit of a rise in the rock right at the rudder . We're actually grateful that the damage was as minimal as it was – a lesser boat would have likely been destroyed.
Looking forward to making it down to the Chesapeake mud! Repairs are almost complete and we expect to be on our way in a couple of days.
Sounds like you have it under control. Hopefully you will have a less tedious task here on out!
Amazing how Murphy works isn't it? Mast down, engine starter fail... What are the odds....
Yeah, try that in your Beneteau! Friends of mine replaced their spade rudder on their fin keel 38 in the Bahamas for a similar situation.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 16:32   #10

I'm having challenges attaching the requested photos of the damage... perhaps this Cruisers Forum has a built-in feature to protect A30 lovers from trauma.
If you're interested in taking a look, and and also getting the full sad story, you're welcome to check out our blog. The most recent post covers it.

Ariose Notes | We're a "north-of-49" novice cruising couple sharing our musings about life & learning on our classic Alberg 30 sailboat. Welcome aboard!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7875.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	136258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7879.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	136259  

Name:	IMG_7877.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	136260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7880.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	136261  

Name:	IMG_7966.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	136262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7866.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	136263  

Old 15-11-2016, 16:33   #11

Oops - I see most of the photos did upload after all, some upside down, but...
Sorry for the over-load.
Old 16-11-2016, 08:04   #12

Wow! That was some bad luck. Reminds me of that letter Carl Alberg received about hard grounding an Alberg30 repeatedly. Have you read it? Quite funny!

Sturdy? Witness this letter received by Whitby Boat Works in 1971:

Whitby Boat Company
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Gentlemen:

This letter is both a 1) testimonial and 2) request for advice.

1) We bought our Alberg 30 in 1966. We went aground under full sail on rocks with kelp to a depth of less than one foot. We were dragged off by a power boat. Damage -- a few scratches on the keel.

Many minor groundings on gravel and rocks over the years with not even scratches resulting.

This year we went aground at five knots (power) on a rocky reef (no kelp) and pounded hard many times. Damage -- a few deep scratches on keel and bottom of rudder chipped.

Also this year went aground under full sail on rocks, but got off with the motor. Result -- no damage.

2) Would you please advise me as to the best method to duplicate your strong construction when I repair these deep scratches and the rudder where it is gouged? I want a perfectly smooth hull (keel and rudder especially) and want it strong.

Sincerely yours,
(name withheld)

Carl Alberg advised the writer to move to the Chesapeake Bay where the bottom is mud.

Old 16-11-2016, 08:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Wow! That was some bad luck. Reminds me of that letter Carl Alberg received about hard grounding an Alberg30 repeatedly. Have you read it? Quite funny!

Sturdy? Witness this letter received by Whitby Boat Works in 1971:

Whitby Boat Company
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Gentlemen:

This letter is both a 1) testimonial and 2) request for advice.

1) We bought our Alberg 30 in 1966. We went aground under full sail on rocks with kelp to a depth of less than one foot. We were dragged off by a power boat. Damage -- a few scratches on the keel.

Many minor groundings on gravel and rocks over the years with not even scratches resulting.

This year we went aground at five knots (power) on a rocky reef (no kelp) and pounded hard many times. Damage -- a few deep scratches on keel and bottom of rudder chipped.

Also this year went aground under full sail on rocks, but got off with the motor. Result -- no damage.

2) Would you please advise me as to the best method to duplicate your strong construction when I repair these deep scratches and the rudder where it is gouged? I want a perfectly smooth hull (keel and rudder especially) and want it strong.

Sincerely yours,
(name withheld)

Carl Alberg advised the writer to move to the Chesapeake Bay where the bottom is mud.

love it! thanks for the chuckle!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-11-2016, 08:38   #14

No prob, thought people would enjoy, especially smug A30 owners :-D

Old 16-11-2016, 12:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
No prob, thought people would enjoy, especially smug A30 owners :-D

smugness deserved... who was it who used to say "no brag, just fact?"
There is a story somewhere of a similar event with a Columbia 29. Smacked a rock, put a hole in the keel "you could see daylight through" but no leak... continued across Atlantic.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, rudder