Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 13:26   #1

Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

I'm new in Alaska, and it looks like I'll be working in Anchorage. I don't have a boat yet, but when I get one I want to live aboard. From what I've read so far, it sounds like everyone keeps their boats in Whittier or Seward: too far for a daily commute to work. Are there marinas in Anchorage where people live aboard?
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 18:44   #2

Boat: PDQ 36
Re: Are there any liveaboards in Anchorage, Alaska?

Nope. The Port of Anchorage doesn't have a small boat harbor. Whittier is going to be your closest place and slips are very hard to get in Whittier. The wait list in the old harbor is 5-7 years. The new boat harbor is a condo situation, you might be able to rent one if the owner's boat is not there right now, that's going to be about $500/mo. and then you have to get through the tunnel and to work in Anchorage every day. That road can get bad in the winter. People do commute in from Girdwood, so it's doable but not easy.

Whittier is a wonderful place to have a boat, though, Prince William Sound is amazing. If you want to keep a boat there, get one with a good heater. It rains like a SOB there so you have to have something to ward off the chill.

Good luck, it's an amazing place to have a boat, there are lots of adventures to be had!
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 20:08   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
Nope. The Port of Anchorage doesn't have a small boat harbor. Whittier is going to be your closest place and slips are very hard to get in Whittier. The wait list in the old harbor is 5-7 years. The new boat harbor is a condo situation, you might be able to rent one if the owner's boat is not there right now, that's going to be about $500/mo. and then you have to get through the tunnel and to work in Anchorage every day. That road can get bad in the winter. People do commute in from Girdwood, so it's doable but not easy.

Whittier is a wonderful place to have a boat, though, Prince William Sound is amazing. If you want to keep a boat there, get one with a good heater. It rains like a SOB there so you have to have something to ward off the chill.

Good luck, it's an amazing place to have a boat, there are lots of adventures to be had!
Have you ever heard of the Bahamas?
Old 16-09-2016, 11:56   #4

Quote:
Nope. The Port of Anchorage doesn't have a small boat harbor.
So Anchorage doesn't have, hmmm, an anchorage except for big ships?

Is it easier to get a slip in Seward, or even Homer?
Old 16-09-2016, 19:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're not use to driving on ice and snow, you might live in Anchorage for a year.
Many Alaskans commute, and many professional drivers are on the roads every day, but travel between two cities isn't a guarantee every day. I'm long retired, and I never missed a day because of ice or snow. But you need to be prepared, have the right vehicle, and be able to drive on slick or snow covered roads. Sometimes I wisely stayed in town.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 20:20   #6

It is easier to get a slip in Seward or Homer, I don't know what the wait times are. At one time I was on the list for a slip in Seward for five years before I got one, but it's not that way now. You might wait a year or at least that's what I've heard. I don't know anything about Homer.
Old 16-09-2016, 20:22   #7

"So Anchorage doesn't have, hmmm, an anchorage except for big ships? "

Yeah, seems a little strange doesn't it? But Anchorage isn't an ice free port, so maybe that 's the reason?? I don't know.
Old 19-09-2016, 15:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If you're not use to driving on ice and snow, you might live in Anchorage for a year.
Many Alaskans commute, and many professional drivers are on the roads every day, but travel between two cities isn't a guarantee every day. I'm long retired, and I never missed a day because of ice or snow. But you need to be prepared, have the right vehicle, and be able to drive on slick or snow covered roads. Sometimes I wisely stayed in town.
Out of curiosity, how far did you commute? I've done snow and ice driving before, but I know from experience that a 50-mile each way commute is SUCH a drag, even in good weather in southern states. I guess I'm stuck with Anchorage for now, but maybe later I'll have better luck finding work in a small town (I work on airplanes). After all, I didn't come all the way to Alaska just to live in the big city.
Old 19-09-2016, 15:43   #9

Quote:
At one time I was on the list for a slip in Seward for five years before I got one, but it's not that way now.
Did you already have a boat while you were on the waiting list? If so, where did you put it? Can you just anchor for as long as you want?
Old 19-09-2016, 15:59   #10

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Spent a winter on the hook at the end of the Kenai Pen .Windy Bay to be exact. It was an interesting experience. I wouldn't live in a big motor home in Anchorage but it's a nice place to visit.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
Did you already have a boat while you were on the waiting list? If so, where did you put it? Can you just anchor for as long as you want?
Yep, already had a boat. It was in "transient mooring" for 5 years, usually rafting up on the end dock with 4 or 5 other boats. Not the ideal situation.
Old 29-09-2016, 23:09   #12

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

I live in anchorage and have a boat in Seward. The comments about Whittier are spot on, but Seward has a long wait list too. It depends on slip size. If you have a boat 36' or less the wait is shorter. Anchorage is unsuitable for boats,period. Huge area of water and never any boats using it. The tides are the second biggest in the world along with extreme shallows and shifting mud all the time. Only big ships at high tide can manage.

Good advice also about commuting. It would be ok to do in spring fall and summer but winter, no. E funny thing is living aboard in Seward is really easy even in winter. Whittier not so much, as it is pretty harsh. We get winds over 100 mph several times a year and 50 is very common, but not too big a deal really. We don't even worry or do anything unusual with those winds and the worst thing that has happened is we got black marks from the docks and fenders rubbing which is nothing.

You can live in an rv in anchorage if that would suit your fancy, it's really easy living here most of the time. Any more info pm me if you like.

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, anchor, liveaboard