Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2010, 19:25   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Jim, Work has been crazy crazy all week but I will check her out tomorrow
Old 22-04-2010, 20:44   #17

Boat: Catalina 30
If you're still interested, drop me a line. The owner has just dropped the price and I can arrange for someone to see the boat (the owner is a friend of mine). He would really like to see the boat go to someone who can appreciate her.
SVQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 18:10   #18

Good News

I looked hard and long at this boat. Good engine, some nice gear as indicated in listing, but she badly needs a major refit. She seeps, sooo.. too damp for too long in a hot climate, and neglected without being sailed. But no major structural problems that I could see. She can be a graceful lady again but it will take mucho dinero. I had to walk away from her. I wouldn't pay more than $25,000 for her.
tamata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 19:55   #19

Boat: Alberg 37 MKII GOOD NEWS
Thanks for the comments on this thread but she sold last week to someone appreciative of her design, history and condition. After sailing her hard and fast for 13 years, she admittedly needed some updating for someone who wanted one in Bristol condition, but we enjoyed her tremendously, creating many family memories and putting some racing hardware on the shelf along the way. We wish the new owner the very best with his plan to update her and make her his own. I admire his attitude of finding reasons to do something rather than those who find a reason to not.
awalker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 15:51   #20

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Any chance that anyone active, or just browsing, here has looked at an Alberg 37 that's for sale here near Houston? And if so, are you willing to share any comments? I know it's a long shot, but it isn't costing me much to ask the question. Thanks if any comments are offered.

Jim
This boat has been removed from every For sale place I previously found it on. All photos have been removed from the Alberg Club site.
I was very interested in this one also. Felt real bad when I couldn't find it any more. I can only assume it has been sold. There is another Alberg 37 Yawl for sale in Hawaii, it's been on the hard for about 10 years.

NOTE: I posted this before I saw the post above. awalker14 I was almost ready to buy an airline ticket to see Good News, very good looking boat. I have other commitments (that should end soon) that prevented me from going.
Old 04-07-2011, 19:08   #21

Boat: Alberg 37 "Joan III"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500
This boat has been removed from every For sale place I previously found it on. All photos have been removed from the Alberg Club site.
I was very interested in this one also. Felt real bad when I couldn't find it any more. I can only assume it has been sold. There is another Alberg 37 Yawl for sale in Hawaii, it's been on the hard for about 10 years.

NOTE: I posted this before I saw the post above. awalker14 I was almost ready to buy an airline ticket to see Good News, very good looking boat. I have other commitments (that should end soon) that prevented me from going.
Just to close the loop, or mend the loose ends. The basis ought to be right and Carl Alberg knew how to draw some very fine lines. The test is to sail the yacht and judge how she feels on the helm. Looking through cosmetics is sometimes a challenge and to be frank the money we have spent was more than the budget and it also took quite a bit longer. But it is not easy to get real nice classic plastic these days. We have done quite a bit of repairs but in fact the only big affairs were pulling all the chainplates and repairing the aft deck that had delaminated. Sanding, varnishing is a lot of work but when you find real teak underneath...it's worth it. Feel free to peruse my website www.maartenvanhasselt.com/restauration-projects to the before and after. Unfortunately it is too hot in Houston (100F) inn the height of summer and I am traveling too much but we landed our first price in a round the can race and have had numerous great sails.
GalvestonBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 19:26   #22

Re: Alberg 37 in Kemah, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvestonBay View Post
Just to close the loop, or mend the loose ends. The basis ought to be right and Carl Alberg knew how to draw some very fine lines. The test is to sail the yacht and judge how she feels on the helm. Looking through cosmetics is sometimes a challenge and to be frank the money we have spent was more than the budget and it also took quite a bit longer. But it is not easy to get real nice classic plastic these days. We have done quite a bit of repairs but in fact the only big affairs were pulling all the chainplates and repairing the aft deck that had delaminated. Sanding, varnishing is a lot of work but when you find real teak underneath...it's worth it. Feel free to peruse my website http://www.maartenvanhasselt.com/res...-projects.html to the before and after. Unfortunately it is too hot in Houston (100F) inn the height of summer and I am traveling too much but we landed our first price in a round the can race and have had numerous great sails.
I fixed your link to your site.

Thank you for letting me see Joan III, she was a fine boat before and you have made her finer. I have still not been able to get a boat but the time is coming. Just this week I received an offer on my house and we will close in August. That is the last thing between me and leaving California.
Best of luck with that beauty of a boat.
Old 23-08-2011, 16:34   #23

Not sure whether you are still looking but there is a very nice Alberg 37 for sale on the Alberg organization website
http://www.alberg37.org/
Old 23-08-2011, 17:00   #24

There are quite a few offered on the A37 site. Which one listed there caught your eye, GB?

~
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 17:34   #25

Scrimshaw looks impeccable. Most of the owners take good care of these yachts. Basic construction is very strong.
Tamar looks impeccable just look at that engine! And the clean bilge!
Genesis looks good.

Lots of choice but Tamar with the new engine is a good one. Anyhow a sloop is preferable. Just think about the pics of the chainplates renewal for Joan III. They are at the end of their season. I am going to Seattle but this is too far north otherwise I would have a look. My gut feeling is that this is a good boat as you will get for that price. If you get the survey you will quickly see if there is a lot to be done.

Happy to chat give me an email if you want. This is quite public.
Old 15-06-2012, 11:43   #26

Quote:

I fixed your link to your site.

Thank you for letting me see Joan III, she was a fine boat before and you have made her finer. I have still not been able to get a boat but the time is coming. Just this week I received an offer on my house and we will close in August. That is the last thing between me and leaving California.
Best of luck with that beauty of a boat.
Are you still looking in this class of yachts?
Old 16-06-2012, 07:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvestonBay View Post
Are you still looking in this class of yachts?
Actually I have been living aboard my 34' Aloha up and down the ICW for the past 6 months. Thanks for inquiring though.
Old 16-06-2012, 08:31   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Before I moved to Kemah, I never even heard of the place. Seems like lots of forum people live there. Hope to meet all of you some day.
Tony B
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 08:36   #29

Quote:
Actually I have been living aboard my 34' Aloha up and down the ICW for the past 6 months. Thanks for inquiring though.
Happy and safe sailing.

Tags
alberg, kemah, texas